Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by Quilter51 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:21 am

None here. Increases yes. Shortages no.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 am

The only shortage I have seen was maybe a month ago, local Aldi's was limiting strawberries to 2 packs per person...on a sign said production problem.

Like others, seeing lots of price increases. The one that always gets me is chuck roast..at 6 and 7 dollars a pound. It is my roast of choice and I can not make myself pay that price.

JCKitty

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:11 pm
I have not seen food shortages and this is not directly related to poor farm crops but on another forum I read a thread about problems in the trucking industry. This was an investment forum not a bunch of preppers. In a nutshell from what I understand, freight shipments are down and a number of small, independent trucking companies have gone out of business.

One person who seems to work in the industry said that because of the Trump tariffs a lot of manufacturing has shifted to Vietnam but there is a labor shortage there so fewer shipments and less business for truckers who are struggling. Another said her friends had closed their small company because they couldn’t get their product shipped.

The headline was “Truckers Sound the Alarm.” So this did not apply necessarily to food but to all types of items. Who knows if this is correct. But it caught my eye and made me, someone who rarely stockpiles, think about stocking up on a few things. Apart from food, I was thinking of OTC meds.

On the other hand, the WalMart near me has for years been notorious for having big sections of empty shelves and taking forever to restock items. So maybe this is nothing new.
I deal with a lot of trucking for work (we're not a trucking company, but we move a lot of freight) and it's booming right now. So much so that I can't get pallet rates to certain states because there's so much business they know they don't need to extend discounts - no matter what they charge, they'll have full trucks, so why move anything cheap? We're also back to major $ fuel surcharges. If anything there could be more competition, it would help. The problem with small carriers failing is usually with their way of doing business - you'd need to sign on with a broker to get any work sent your way, but they don't want to share $. Until you're large enough and have a track record, you HAVE to share $. If they have a lot of start-up and operating costs out of the gate, they're toast.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Loads on the spot market, in which retailers and manufacturers buy trucking capacity as they need it rather than through a contract, have fallen by a chilling 62.6% in May year over year.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I haven't found any food shortages either, but I'm finding significantly higher prices on produce that is supposed to be in season. Stop and Shop is selling one green pepper from between $1.00 to $1.49 each. And another store where I buy green leaf lettuce; that's gone up $1.00/lb over last year's price of $1.49.