Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:37 pm Janet, I think you are smart to get a battery-powered weed walker. Just today I was thinking that I want to start looking for one soon. A few years ago I bought one for mom’s house that requires a cord. Big mistake. It is a pain and I hate using it. I have areas up against the fence and up against some gardens edged with rocks. And today I was in the far corner of the yard where I used to be able to get the mower but really can’t right now (behind the ever-growing bougainvillea). So when you get it let us know how you like it and the brand name.
Florida Cat I will let your know. If is works as well as it seems to I will be thrilled. Gas powered ones are too heavy for me and electric ones are not feasible due to my large yard.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Just checking in to say things are going ok. Making do with what I have in the house.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I ran errands and did grocery shopping yesterday. My aide drove so I saved on gas. Had to pick up Teddi's flea medicine at the Vet's office. It has gone up by .65 cents per application. Stopped at Petco for his fresh dog food. Thank goodness it is still the same price so bought 2 rolls just in case the price goes up or they are slow again in receiving their shipment like a month ago. Went to one of our local chain stores for loss leaders. They had blueberries on sale .99 cents a pint so I bought the limit of 4. Will clean them today and then freeze in 1 cup portions for baking. Also like to grab a handful for a snack and eat them while still frozen. Nice low cal and low carb snack. I also bought a rotisserie chicken. I combined $3.00 from a survey with store rewards ($2.00) and paid only $1.46 for the chicken. The freezer bags were bought on huge discount last week. Normally they cost 2.79 but were .99 cents.

There have been rumors that there is going to be a shortage of some things due to all of the flooding this year. The local chain store did have some empty shelves with a sign that stated, "Due to inclement weather there is a shortage." This was noted in the canned veggie section. I never buy canned veggies from this store due to the high prices. I only shop there for loss leaders. Also they offer electric coupons from the store and I do use them if there is a significant savings plus you receive reward points towards future purchases. I also went to Ruler and did a minor canned veggie stock up. They are set up like a warehouse so hard to determine if there is a shortage or just have not put all of the boxes out yet. They only had 8 cans of salmon so I bought 4 cans. Salmon use to be $1.99 now $2.39 a can. Also I like to have their canned pineapple chunks at night with some cottage cheese at 9:00 PM. They only had 8 cans and I took 4. The price is very reasonable .89 cents. Also bought a couple of cans of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup for a couple of casseroles in the future .98 cents. The same can of Campbell's at the local chain store was $1.79. Yikes! Also was able to buy store brand cottage cheese BOGO and last week bought name brand cottage cheese BOGO so doing well in savings in that area as well. The fruit and cottage cheese at 9:00 PM is due to my diabetes to prevent the early morning hormonal rush that tends to raise blood sugar over night. I did notice that Ruler has not had ham in stock like they usually do. I have looked the last two weeks for a small spiral ham which usually costs around $7.00 to $8.00. You get a nice little ham that is cheaper than buying a pound at the deli and you have more to work with. Last week and this week they only had 2 or 3 hams in the ham section and they were all bigger than I need. So not sure what the problem is there. There is suppose to be a problem with swine flu in some areas of the world which many cause pork prices to go up. I can live without pork but do like it occasionally in various forms.

Storm moving in so need to get off of my computer. Bummer. I have limited gigabytes but if I use the computer from midnight to 6:00 AM it is free.. I always use up my gigabytes too soon and then they slow my computer down until it is time to roll over my payment. It is a pain but I refuse to buy extra gigabytes.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have a lot of battery powered yard equipment and tools. They are nice. I don't have a battery powered string trimmer. My weeds are very strong, so I use my battery powered hedge trimmer on them.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My weed wacker came today. At first I was ready to throw it all back in the box and send it back. It came in bits and pieces. I could not figure out what the picture instructions were. However took a break, watched some TV and had a snack and came back with calmer nerves. Took a closer look at the parts and there are arrows on them and it was easier to snap it together just trying to line up the arrows. The battery had to charge for 5 hours so I set it to charging as soon as I opened the box. After dinner I took it out for a trial run.. I am in love with it!! It is a little bit heavy for me but not like a heavy gas weed eater and I am almost 75 and not in the best of health and still it worked wonders for me. I did a lot of trimming where my neighbor cannot get to with the riding lawn mower. I hacked in to my burn pile with it too. I cannot put anything on the burn pile since it is completely surrounded by 12 ft tall weeds we call horse weeds. I hacked it down in small increments. Also hacked down prairie grass that was as high as my thighs. I did have to go back and forth over the areas since the weeds were so close together and so high but the wacker did a great job. It comes with 2 batteries so you can always have one in reserve. There is place where you can keep an extra reel of string with you on the device instead of having to get another one or carry it around in your pocket.. It has a three year warranty. It has a flower protector and an edger which I have not tried out yet. It is from a company called WORX. I broke the payments up in to three monthly installments except the first one was a bit more pricey since I ordered extra spools and there was tax and shipping charges. Still reasonable the product if it hold up as well as it is right now. In the long run this should save me money since periodically I have to hire someone to come in to do the trimming and weed pulling.

Edited 08/08/2019: I misspelled the name of the weed wacker it is WorX not WORX
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I am glad that you like your new weed wacker (as we call them here in Canada).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/