Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Is anyone here seeing grocery shortages in their stores?

Post by colonialgirl »

Janet - I was reading last night that the British government is starting to stockpile food because by next spring, if there is no trade agreement to replace Brexit, they would not be able to import enough food to feed the country. Now I am not saying it is true, but the artlce was in Reuters, so that is a pretty reputable news source. I wanted to ask Rinty about that. Ok - I admit, I am a little obsessed with this right now.

Scary times for all of us - although I do imagine everyone on this group is way better prepared for hard times than the general population.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm Janet - I was reading last night that the British government is starting to stockpile food because by next spring, if there is no trade agreement to replace Brexit, they would not be able to import enough food to feed the country. Now I am not saying it is true, but the artlce was in Reuters, so that is a pretty reputable news source. I wanted to ask Rinty about that. Ok - I admit, I am a little obsessed with this right now.

Scary times for all of us - although I do imagine everyone on this group is way better prepared for hard times than the general population.

Lynn a while back when when May was still in power and things were getting worse I mentioned that I was stockpiling my medicine from the UK. Rinty said she was not concerned. However I talk to Katie Owl, her mother, and some of their friends several times a day on Face Book and they are concerned and they have been stockpiling what they can in the way of non perishables. We are not in daily talks about it but over the last several months there have been conversations about what they are doing and their concerns. The government stockpiling things is not new. Before the Brexit thing was suppose to be a done deal, I think in March, but they kept extending the date and the government was stockpiling then. The group have been mentioning it and speculating on what the future will be like once whatever the final line on Brexit is. This past winter there were some major storms in the UK and they said some people got in to a fight over the last package of crumpets on a store shelf. She said.. can you imagine what would happen if things lasted for more than a week of storms?

My thing is if nothing happens ok good but if something does happen I have something to fall back on for a while. Again if nothing happens I will just have more things to use up. In the past having a stock pile has helped during bad times in my life. Like a few years ago my fridge died and before I could get the things out and relocated lost a lot of freezer and fridge stuff. On a limited income it took me months to restock what I had lost. If I had not had my emergency food to fall back on it would not have been as easy to replace things. It was still tough but I did not go hungry.

On another board for canning and dehydrating one of the ladies lives in the UK she is always showing what she has dehydrated and then shows pictures of how she has hydrated the foods and how they look and taste. Wish I had the energy to do that. Then another lady said, " why do you work so hard? All I have to do it go to the local store and buy those things. They are always there." Duh lady they may not be there one day and you are going to be in for a big surprise.

I do feel sorry for those who are not aware and maybe just do not think things through since they have never had to deal with things like this.. I had parents that went through the depression and WWII as well as economical ups and downs. They taught us stock pile.

Not sure if I have told this story before but years ago I was visiting my sister in Colorado. She said, I do not know what is going to happen but The Lord keeps telling me to store food. She said, I have a 100 lbs of flour in my basement.. What am I going to do with that? This was in August. Fast forward to Fall and her husband, who was an Ad executive, was fired from his job. Some politician had repeatedly asked him to do his re-election campaign and he had told him no. When he was pinned down as to why not he said he considered him a crook and did not want anything to do with him. He had him fired and black balled in the state of Colorado. My sister said they went an entire year on the foods she had stockpiled and what she had grown in her garden. She said the last day she opened her last canned goods she told The Lord... this is all we have Lord you will have to provide. That very day her husband came home with a new job and two weeks advanced pay. Can any of us say we can go an entire year? I know I cannot but I could maybe go 6 months on short rations hoping to be able to fill in with things from the store as time went on. I hope it never comes down to the wire on this but none of us know what our futures hold.
Janet Alliesmama
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

colonialgirl wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:32 pm I hear you on the meds Sandy. After Bold Finger was elected, I had to go on anxiety meds. If I didn't have them, I would probably be living underground by now and hubs has to have his multiple life saving meds. It is scary. And there is no way to stock up on them.

Other than that, we are doing well. Hope to see you posting a little more - I miss our chats!
I take anxiety meds, as well, and have been steadily working at lowering my prescribed dose in order to always have a "safety net" supply. Then, each month when I get my prescription refilled, I trade those for a like number from the month before so they don't get old. That is my feel good stash. I feel blessed at not being an insulin dependent diabetic because I really think I might be able to, at least to an acceptable level, control my BG with diet. Everything else I suppose would require becoming a marauder, lol. I laugh to keep from crying sometimes as, for the first time in my life, I keep a loaded weapon available. I mean, I've grown up around guns and have always had guns in my home but have never gotten this better-safe-than-sorry vibe (especially since OK will become an open carry without a permit state in November).

Yes, I know your husband takes several medications that he absolutely must have and THAT is terrifying.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I intended to post this last night and kept forgetting to.

For the first time since I was, probably, in elementary school, we have roadside veggie/fruit stands! And Farmer's Markets! How long, for you, has it been since you've seen people growing large gardens and selling the surplus? Me, I love it even if it costs a bit more to get homegrown over hot house veggies.

What does this mean? Is it for the extra food or the extra money? Odd days now.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:49 pm Lynn a while back when when May was still in power and things were getting worse I mentioned that I was stockpiling my medicine from the UK. Rinty said she was not concerned. However I talk to Katie Owl, her mother, and some of their friends several times a day on Face Book and they are concerned and they have been stockpiling what they can in the way of non perishables. We are not in daily talks about it but over the last several months there have been conversations about what they are doing and their concerns. The government stockpiling things is not new. Before the Brexit thing was suppose to be a done deal, I think in March, but they kept extending the date and the government was stockpiling then. The group have been mentioning it and speculating on what the future will be like once whatever the final line on Brexit is. This past winter there were some major storms in the UK and they said some people got in to a fight over the last package of crumpets on a store shelf. She said.. can you imagine what would happen if things lasted for more than a week of storms? (Edited to add: Rinty was referring obtaining medication.. As we all know she has a huge garden and a huge stockpile of food as well.)

My thing is if nothing happens ok good but if something does happen I have something to fall back on for a while. Again if nothing happens I will just have more things to use up. In the past having a stock pile has helped during bad times in my life. Like a few years ago my fridge died and before I could get the things out and relocated lost a lot of freezer and fridge stuff. On a limited income it took me months to restock what I had lost. If I had not had my emergency food to fall back on it would not have been as easy to replace things. It was still tough but I did not go hungry.

On another board for canning and dehydrating one of the ladies lives in the UK she is always showing what she has dehydrated and then shows pictures of how she has hydrated the foods and how they look and taste. Wish I had the energy to do that. Then another lady said, " why do you work so hard? All I have to do it go to the local store and buy those things. They are always there." Duh lady they may not be there one day and you are going to be in for a big surprise.

I do feel sorry for those who are not aware and maybe just do not think things through since they have never had to deal with things like this.. I had parents that went through the depression and WWII as well as economical ups and downs. They taught us stock pile.

Not sure if I have told this story before but years ago I was visiting my sister in Colorado. She said, I do not know what is going to happen but The Lord keeps telling me to store food. She said, I have a 100 lbs of flour in my basement.. What am I going to do with that? This was in August. Fast forward to Fall and her husband, who was an Ad executive, was fired from his job. Some politician had repeatedly asked him to do his re-election campaign and he had told him no. When he was pinned down as to why not he said he considered him a crook and did not want anything to do with him. He had him fired and black balled in the state of Colorado. My sister said they went an entire year on the foods she had stockpiled and what she had grown in her garden. She said the last day she opened her last canned goods she told The Lord... this is all we have Lord you will have to provide. That very day her husband came home with a new job and two weeks advanced pay. Can any of us say we can go an entire year? I know I cannot but I could maybe go 6 months on short rations hoping to be able to fill in with things from the store as time went on. I hope it never comes down to the wire on this but none of us know what our futures hold.
Janet Alliesmama
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Sandy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:20 pm I intended to post this last night and kept forgetting to.

For the first time since I was, probably, in elementary school, we have roadside veggie/fruit stands! And Farmer's Markets! How long, for you, has it been since you've seen people growing large gardens and selling the surplus? Me, I love it even if it costs a bit more to get homegrown over hot house veggies.

What does this mean? Is it for the extra food or the extra money? Odd days now.
Hi Sandy, I have really missed seeing posts from you. There are quite a few farm stands near me. There alwasys have been. I do see that more people are putting in veg. gardens.
These are very unsettled times for sure. I am not a prepper, but I am somewhat prepared. I keep telling my DH...."I was a Girl Scout you know".....:)