Do you use up your whole pencil?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Do you use up your whole pencil?

Post by colonialgirl »

I hardly ever use a pencil. But I am so cheap, I have hubs bring home the tiny golf pencils they give them to keep score when I need one. I do not however take promotional pens - they seem to me to have about 10 words worth of ink in them. So I buy the kinds of pens I like in bulk and keep those around.

I just really hate waste and try to avoid it wherever I can.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I have been using Papermate Sharpwriter pencils for many years. Once lead is gone it gets tossed. On the other side of the coin, I will be using my colored pencils right down to the last fraction of an inch because they are so expensive. Two polychromos pencils I recently bought set me back $6.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:08 pm 48 pencils to start the year!
When I was in school, we needed a pack of paper, maybe a clipboard, a couple of pencils (#2s were suggested) and, during the year, might be required to buy a couple of workbooks at $.50 each.

Here, schools publish in the paper and the list is like something I'd put together for home! Paper towels, Kleenex, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer...and that's not even actual "school supplies" like paper and pencils!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Sandy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:45 pm When I was in school, we needed a pack of paper, maybe a clipboard, a couple of pencils (#2s were suggested) and, during the year, might be required to buy a couple of workbooks at $.50 each.

Here, schools publish in the paper and the list is like something I'd put together for home! Paper towels, Kleenex, Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer...and that's not even actual "school supplies" like paper and pencils!
You do know why the list has grown over the years?

As one who has worked in the school system, and the mother of a teacher, we all got tired of supplying out of our own pockets Kleenex, hand sanitizer, extra pencils, extra erasers and the myriad of other things on the list. It was enough that for awhile we had to supply our own grading books, anything that went on the walls, you know all the extras that you find in a classroom to make it more engaging for the students is usually bought and paid for out of the teachers pocket.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/