Christmas Is Coming

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Christmas Is Coming

Post by Jackielou »

The rest of the year is relatively quiet as far as birthdays go. December there are three including mine, January is just our Anniversary, and the rest of the birthdays fall only one a month after that. Excluding September which only has our departed daughters birthday in it. She gets a whole month to herself.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Funny how birthdays and such tend to cluster!

For my family, mid-June to mid-August is busy with 12 birthdays (including mine), but then it's also graduation season, and my sister visits from London with her kids, so that adds out-of-season "birthdays" for her kids, and they had christenings, too. Whew.

Otherwise it's 1-2 birthdays per month, with a slight uptick in March/April.

I'm lousy about sending cards, but this year I decided to get ahead of the game and buy cards for birthdays, and anything else, a head of time. I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping up!
ohjodi
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 pm If the rest of the year passes by as fast as it has been, Christmas will be here in no time.

Erin has some wonderful low cost Christmas ideas on her blog.

Here is the link for anyone that would like to check it out.

https://www.myfrugalhome.com/christmas/
Thank you for sharing the link Jackie! I am super-excited about making the clothes pin wreaths for all the gals (and maybe guys - I have to think!) on my list!! I'm thinking tea bags, little samples of lotions, lip balms in the blister packs, candy...logs of possibilities. Thanks Erin!! :-)

I was going to give everyone a small coffee can of homemade cookies and a framed photo (meaningful to them) - I will either do the clothes pin wreath in addition to or instead of - but I'm thinking instead of!! Loving this!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

LOVE the clothespin wreath!!!!!
rinty

Post by rinty »

Made so many Christmas cross stitch cards I have run out of black, white and red floss....

Bought all items for this years Christmas shoebox for charity.

Will have DGKs stocking done shortly.

different savings pots for Christmas 2019. Change pots will be split between DH and I to buy each other a gift. There won't be above £70 in it IMO.

Savings for Christmas will be £550, might add dividend income in September to that pot if necessary. Supermarket savings card holds £144 which they make up to £150 ( better interest then ayou'd get anywhere.

I was a total realist making up the Gift List and it came up with 29 people..........such is life with a Large Family.

Boots giftcard is a very healthy £58 and they do a brilliant 3 for 2 offer at Christmastime. 6 people will be wiped off the list with that . AMEN.

I shall use DS benefit to buy his carers/day centre gifts. AMEN once again, and I will have him shop for them............AMEN once more.

Want to halve gift expectations but DH will protest. Again, such is life :shock:
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m feeling excited about Christmas this year. The first year mom was gone was a blur. Last year I felt sad. This year I feel much more like celebrating.

I pulled out my Christmas card list this week when I got a card from a friend in Georgia. Added her new address to my list from her envelope. I still keep my Christmas card list on paper using forms from the old OrganizedChristmas site.

Mom had a tabletop ceramic Christmas tree from the ‘70s or ‘80s I think. I’ve always liked it but it is missing some bulbs. I’ve found a site online that sells two sizes of replacement bulbs so I need to figure out the bulb size.

I have a regular fake Christmas tree, not a pre-lit one. One of my strands of twinkle lights stopped working at the end of last season. (I believe I stepped on the part connected to the extension cord.) They were not available at my regular store, ChristmasLightsEtc.com, but she said they’d be getting more in April/May. I’ve been checking and they are finally available so I ordered three strings. (I believe they are from China so wonder if this is the last shipment.) I ordered three strings of the regular lights at the same time because they are high quality.

I only give a few gifts to friends so I haven’t thought about that part yet. I’d like to do the Shoebox gift that Rinty mentioned so will start looking into that. Also I’ll look into the Angel tree. I rarely go to malls so usually think about it when it is too late.