Recession?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Recession?

Post by jckitty »

Count me as one saying recession since 2018, I MAY have mentioned my thoughts here or I may have just been thinking them.

More ads on TV touting debt relief, more people obviously in debt over there heads...again.
The financial people I see/listen to have been saying it, granted they don't put a time limit on their predictions but most everyone says this level of "growth" is not sustainable.

Maybe too simplistic but I always wonder...just because things are being made, do we really need them? Plastic cheap goods, that are "one shot deals" , overly expensive vehicles that most people cannot afford and IF they buy them cannot afford to go anywhere in them.
Technology that while very useful is taking us away from community, lack of community breeds distrust and isolationism, fear and trickle down hate and sometimes racism.
All of this is just my opinion.
I believe that while we have all of these financial pundits to see and listen to, we would be better served to look and listen for ourselves.

again...jut MHO
JCKitty
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you icfrugal. I am not getting anything much on my CD. So they say invest it in the stock market and make "12%". Yeah sure. The stock market is at an all time high. If a recession is coming, the market will drop like a rock and poof goes my CD. It is really a tough situation for us frugal seniors. I don't know what to do either. I really do feel trapped without any good choices.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree jckitty. I am uncomfortable which is why I was hopeful there was a frugal trick that I have missed. Doesn't look like it.

I am in a small house already, so the recommendation to downsize has already been done.But the taxation on the house goes up and up despite homestead. The way they get around the homestead exemption is to add it as a separate fee. I have insulated the house to the recommended levels and beyond in some ways. I keep the house at 83F in the summer and 65F in the winter which really reduces electric costs. But the add on taxes and fuel charges neutralize that pretty much. I conserve water a lot to keep costs down. Use a rain barrel for garden watering when possible. Combine trips in my only car, a used car. Buy clothes only when mine have become rags. Cook and eat at home. Only hire out what I can no longer do myself. Now I will say Janet is the amazing frugal and an inspiration. Way out of my league.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:12 am I agree jckitty. I am uncomfortable which is why I was hopeful there was a frugal trick that I have missed. Doesn't look like it.

I am in a small house already, so the recommendation to downsize has already been done.But the taxation on the house goes up and up despite homestead. The way they get around the homestead exemption is to add it as a separate fee. I have insulated the house to the recommended levels and beyond in some ways. I keep the house at 83F in the summer and 65F in the winter which really reduces electric costs. But the add on taxes and fuel charges neutralize that pretty much. I conserve water a lot to keep costs down. Use a rain barrel for garden watering when possible. Combine trips in my only car, a used car. Buy clothes only when mine have become rags. Cook and eat at home. Only hire out what I can no longer do myself. Now I will say Janet is the amazing frugal and an inspiration. Way out of my league.
DG thanks for the compliment but I really am not as frugal as you are in many ways.
Janet Alliesmama
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Easy to google 30 things about how farmers are suffering and expect to suffer more from tarrifs. Suffering that will extend itself to other industries. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.c ... china.html
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

And to be clear while some wages are literally creeping up many of the so called new jobs being created are minimum wages or low paying jobs. That plus the fact that employers often prefer two or three part time employees to one full time employee so work through temporary hires and gig workers puts a whole new slant on supposed job growth. We've experienced that up close and personal.around here.