DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

If it stops raining, I will dig up the rest of the sugarcane and see if I can prep the area for my new tree.

This is hubs spills coffee on his shirt day. He has done it twice already. It makes him mad at himself. Today is wash dishes day. This is also chicken day because the family pack of chicken is thawed and so I will open it. Meal one tonight. Fillet and freeze the remainder.

This morning I heard that an old friend died. He never seems happy. Even though I am sad, I choose to believe in life, the future and the value of frugal ways. Today, I will plant a tree, think of him and believe in a better future.

I am glad I am frugal.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:06 pm Saturday am

If it stops raining, I will dig up the rest of the sugarcane and see if I can prep the area for my new tree.

This is hubs spills coffee on his shirt day. He has done it twice already. It makes him mad at himself. Today is wash dishes day. This is also chicken day because the family pack of chicken is thawed and so I will open it. Meal one tonight. Fillet and freeze the remainder.

This morning I heard that an old friend died. He never seems happy. Even though I am sad, I choose to believe in life, the future and the value of frugal ways. Today, I will plant a tree, think of him and believe in a better future.

I am glad I am frugal.
I too try to take the high road. Some people are never happy no matter what the circumstances. I am always ready to start a new day with a positive thought. So glad you are keeping positive too.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you for the support. I have a series of positives that I think about when I get up and I am on a FB group called Gratitudes. It is a place where you can share whatever you are grateful for anytime, anyway. I am sorry money is so tight for you, but you handle it with such inspirational grace. We were in a similar situation when my husband was diagnosed with post polio. I had given up a career to stay home and raise the children and once you lose ground in the professional world, you rarely can recover. Luckily and with the help of ADA and great doctors, he was able to get through until retirement. I think of you as I strive to waste less. Today I skinned the stem of a broccoli and will cook it up with dinner tomorrow.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:35 pm Thank you for the support. I have a series of positives that I think about when I get up and I am on a FB group called Gratitudes. It is a place where you can share whatever you are grateful for anytime, anyway. I am sorry money is so tight for you, but you handle it with such inspirational grace. We were in a similar situation when my husband was diagnosed with post polio. I had given up a career to stay home and raise the children and once you lose ground in the professional world, you rarely can recover. Luckily and with the help of ADA and great doctors, he was able to get through until retirement. I think of you as I strive to waste less. Today I skinned the stem of a broccoli and will cook it up with dinner tomorrow.
Before I retired we were just starting to see more adults who were having the post polio problems. I felt so sorry for them.

My thing is we all have to deal with something and you may as well keep a positive attitude since to me negative only make you feel worse. I learned a lot from my patients and their families on how to deal with some pretty deviating situations. The FB place sounds like a good place to be able to go to.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

The goal today is to plant that tree. I worked on the hole until dusk and clearly, it is not deep enough yet or wide enough. I hope I can get it finished this morning. I had planned to go to Walmart for softener salt this morning, but I really need to work on planting that tree. I am tempted to make a pot roast today from the fresh pot roast on sale at Winn-Dixie, but I have saved so much electricity thanks to the rainy weather and no ac, I need to resist the urge. There will be plenty of time as the weather cools down. It is a conflict. Deal with it later.

Little things. Normally, I cook the breakfast bacon a bit and then add the eggs to the hot greasy skillet. Normally, I have done hubs eggs first, but I have realized that it doesn't matter if I do his or mine first. He likes his scrambled. I like mine sunny side up. The advantage of doing mine first is that his bacon cooks longer and is more crisp. He like his bacon crisp. Me not so much. Same amount of skillet time. The grease is saved from ground beef meals. I like saturated fats and they don't bother him. I try to vary the taste of his scrambled eggs. Sweet eggs/ basil. Smoky eggs, Mexican eggs, Italian eggs, pepper eggs.

This coming week is eye injection on Wednesday. That means no dusty or water related work for a few days after. We are due for a bug spraying. I don't like the pesticides, but the ants must be stopped. The price is ok. $60 every other month. OTC stuff didn't work.

We have not experienced any problem with the septic tank during this rain event, but then I would have been surprised if we did. We conserve water intensely which means less down the drain for the tank to process. The only grey water I do not send to the yard or flower tubs is the washing machine water. But since I have a HE machine and only wash full loads, it isn't much. We take navy showers and I draw off the shower water as it is heating for the yard, so it doesn't go down the drain. I had considered the heat on demand option before getting a new water heater several years ago, but it was impractical given our electrical circuits and water condition. I did not go with some of the newest water heater options because I did not have the physical space.

I had considered making some more girlie wipes, but decided against it at this time.I have enough. The savings on toilet paper is huge and much softer. I make the wipes out of the sleeves of old t-shirts. I took one t-shirt and made it into what I call a night skirt. At 83F at night, PJ's are too warm. The night skirt is a nice recycle of a t-shirt with a tie made of old tennis shoe laces. A no sew project.

Frugal is so satisfying.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 am Sunday am

The goal today is to plant that tree. I worked on the hole until dusk and clearly, it is not deep enough yet or wide enough. I hope I can get it finished this morning. I had planned to go to Walmart for softener salt this morning, but I really need to work on planting that tree. I am tempted to make a pot roast today from the fresh pot roast on sale at Winn-Dixie, but I have saved so much electricity thanks to the rainy weather and no ac, I need to resist the urge. There will be plenty of time as the weather cools down. It is a conflict. Deal with it later.

Little things. Normally, I cook the breakfast bacon a bit and then add the eggs to the hot greasy skillet. Normally, I have done hubs eggs first, but I have realized that it doesn't matter if I do his or mine first. He likes his scrambled. I like mine sunny side up. The advantage of doing mine first is that his bacon cooks longer and is more crisp. He like his bacon crisp. Me not so much. Same amount of skillet time. The grease is saved from ground beef meals. I like saturated fats and they don't bother him. I try to vary the taste of his scrambled eggs. Sweet eggs/ basil. Smoky eggs, Mexican eggs, Italian eggs, pepper eggs.

This coming week is eye injection on Wednesday. That means no dusty or water related work for a few days after. We are due for a bug spraying. I don't like the pesticides, but the ants must be stopped. The price is ok. $60 every other month. OTC stuff didn't work.

We have not experienced any problem with the septic tank during this rain event, but then I would have been surprised if we did. We conserve water intensely which means less down the drain for the tank to process. The only grey water I do not send to the yard or flower tubs is the washing machine water. But since I have a HE machine and only wash full loads, it isn't much. We take navy showers and I draw off the shower water as it is heating for the yard, so it doesn't go down the drain. I had considered the heat on demand option before getting a new water heater several years ago, but it was impractical given our electrical circuits and water condition. I did not go with some of the newest water heater options because I did not have the physical space.

I had considered making some more girlie wipes, but decided against it at this time.I have enough. The savings on toilet paper is huge and much softer. I make the wipes out of the sleeves of old t-shirts. I took one t-shirt and made it into what I call a night skirt. At 83F at night, PJ's are too warm. The night skirt is a nice recycle of a t-shirt with a tie made of old tennis shoe laces. A no sew project.

Frugal is so satisfying.
Sleeping in the nude is cooler and no DIY - and frugal. 🙂 (Mom told a friend this and the woman tried it. She said she felt she was sleeping without her skin. HaHa.) I could not stand having a shoelace around my waist at night.