Recession?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Recession?

Post by Quilter51 »

JC im.a big believer in mankind decisions based on what we see and know. While I realize so called financial pundits are educated professionals they also have aging term goal more often than not of keeping us investing and building financial confidence in the economy.

I also feel confident that the housing boom we are seeing in many areas cannot sustain itsel6and while there may not be a bust as such there will certainly be a low that will affect many areas and industries.

It's a mistake to look at the stock market as the primary example of financial health in my opinion.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Saturday afternoon
Last edited by floridacatlover on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridacatlover

BevMoore wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:12 am I'm not sure what to do at this point. I do have a small 401K and will have to start taking the RMD in 2 years. Should I take it out all now or let things run their course?
Bev
Bev,
Please do NOT take all your money out of your 401k now or at any one time. You would owe taxes on the entire amount and it could bump you into a higher tax bracket.

If your 401k is mostly invested in stock and you get nervous, perhaps gradually begin moving some of the money to a money market fund within the 401k.
Last edited by floridacatlover on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridacatlover

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:01 am It is interesting that I haven't heard anything about the tariffs from 80k members of the agricultural groups I follow. I will have to ask.
I think the people in this ag group are either uninformed or, if the tariffs are no big deal, why are U.S. taxpayers U.S. taxpayers are going to waste $15-$20 billion on handouts to farmers? This on top of the $12 billion the U.S. Agriculture Dept. handed out last year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -trade-war

Seriously, does anyone who has paid even the slightest bit of attention to the tariffs not know that farmers are hurt big time?

Of course these days, down is up and losing is winning.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:27 pm Interestingly, no one responding considered the tariffs to be significant. .
Then the whole lot of them are absolute idiots.
ohjodi
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

ohjodi wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:52 am Then the whole lot of them are absolute idiots.
I agree.