DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Gayle. I do like my frugal journal here. People who read it are generally interested in what I do or say and less critical. I get to go into details and chew on ideas. It is an important part of staying focused and balanced.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday end of day

I didn't really do that much today. I posted in my best frugal FB group about some of my frugal ways and we had an excellent dialogue on frugal things. A very nice group of people, very friendly and well managed. Like everyone, they are at their own level of frugal. I get a lot of positive support there. I feel like I can talk about things like girlie wipes without worry of rejection. In fact, I think that was where I first heard about them. I don't visit several other frugal FB groups often because they don't seem to quite know what or who they are. I don't go to blogs regularly because they are not really that frugal and just seem to repeat the same worn out ideas again and again. But I like this frugal journal where I can reflect on frugal ideas. And I like reading about how carefully people like Janet watch their money. It is an inspiration to do even more. You have got to be smart to keep up with points and swap bucks etc. Way over my head. But this fall, I will put in a vegetable garden. I will hide it among my flowers to reduce visits from squirrels and others. I think I will plant green snap beans. We are not happy with the canned beans or the frozen ones. Also tomatoes and peppers. I want to really expand the variety of peppers And make sure they are colorful as well as tasty. August is the month to start the seeds. And the month is almost over.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

I learned something new yesterday. The liquid off the dri-rid that I use in my dry closet is a weed killer. Now I can do something with the liquid instead of just wasting it. I need to check it and replace today. I also decided to put one in my pantry. My spices are getting clumpy.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am part 2

The new design of my handicapped kitchen is a problem. There are no drawers. Several cabinets, but no drawers. I am accustomed to silverware in drawers. I need to think on this recommended design. In fact, I have a lot in drawers.

The outside temperatures have not dropped much below 80F at night. The ac is running often enough to bring down the humidity into the 70% range. I think we may need to find a way to keep it below 80%. It was uncomfortable. We ate our second meal off the thawed 5 lb roll of ground beef. Stir fry with peas mushrooms and fresh broccoli. Very nice. I processed the rest of the roll into patties, now in my reusable containers and in the freezer. 4 meals. The ground beef was on sale for $1.79/lb. And generally we get 5-6 meals off a roll. At 5 meals for 2 people, that is 90c/person. The sides vary a lot. Burgers without buns have ketchup, mustard and pickles. Stirfry has 59c can of mushrooms, spices and 50c worth of frozen vegetables or/and about 50c worth of fresh broccoli. So starry comes in at about $1.70 per person. A lot cheaper than eating out and no risk of hepatitis A which is a real problem around here. I got out the last family package of boneless. skinless chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. I also put 3/4 of a cup of dry black beans to soak. Cooking them with the roast works out well. Tonight will be roast beef with black beans, peeled broccoli stems and fresh broccoli. There may be enough for 2 meals. Hard to tell.

A tropical storm has developed in the Atlantic. The risk to Florida will not be known until Thursday. I listen to weather reports from amateurs. They are so much better than the people on TV. None the less, I have a lot of loose stuff in my yard, so I need to figure out how to secure it this week. I think we will check the medical kit today. Hubs did batteries yesterday.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am Sunday am part 2

The new design of my handicapped kitchen is a problem. There are no drawers. Several cabinets, but no drawers. I am accustomed to silverware in drawers. I need to think on this recommended design. In fact, I have a lot in drawers.

The outside temperatures have not dropped much below 80F at night. The ac is running often enough to bring down the humidity into the 70% range. I think we may need to find a way to keep it below 80%. It was uncomfortable. We ate our second meal off the thawed 5 lb roll of ground beef. Stir fry with peas mushrooms and fresh broccoli. Very nice. I processed the rest of the roll into patties, now in my reusable containers and in the freezer. 4 meals. The ground beef was on sale for $1.79/lb. And generally we get 5-6 meals off a roll. At 5 meals for 2 people, that is 90c/person. The sides vary a lot. Burgers without buns have ketchup, mustard and pickles. Stirfry has 59c can of mushrooms, spices and 50c worth of frozen vegetables or/and about 50c worth of fresh broccoli. So starry comes in at about $1.70 per person. A lot cheaper than eating out and no risk of hepatitis A which is a real problem around here. I got out the last family package of boneless. skinless chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw in the refrigerator. I also put 3/4 of a cup of dry black beans to soak. Cooking them with the roast works out well. Tonight will be roast beef with black beans, peeled broccoli stems and fresh broccoli. There may be enough for 2 meals. Hard to tell.

A tropical storm has developed in the Atlantic. The risk to Florida will not be known until Thursday. I listen to weather reports from amateurs. They are so much better than the people on TV. None the less, I have a lot of loose stuff in my yard, so I need to figure out how to secure it this week. I think we will check the medical kit today. Hubs did batteries yesterday.
DG why no drawers? Is it due to space? I have had my ALS in mind when I do anything new. I have drawers in the kitchen and the shelves in the lower cabinets, the middle shelf slides out for easy access. Also as time and money allows I am going to have the lowest level shelves replaced with roll out shelves. When I first moved here I had all of the door handles replaced with the lever type of handle since turning door knobs is difficult and will get more difficult as the ALS progresses. ALS affects the hands and feet first and progresses upward. All things considered I am doing well but still have ongoing problems to adapt to.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Janet, I don't know if it was just the generic cabinets that she sent as a display, but I hope to discuss this with her. As I have downsized, I have learned to use vases to store kitchen cooking things on the countertop. But I feel resistant to storing all my eating utensils on the countertop. Thinking on this.

ALS is similar to what hubs is facing with his post-polio. This kitchen change will give him more independence and that is important to me. So far, door handles are not a problem, but sink faucet handles may become a problem in the future. Bathroom sinks are already converted over. Kitchen sink not yet. The big problem with doors was that they are hard to close from a wheelchair. So we have a 2 ft rope on each of them to use to pull the door shut. It is great. There is no longer a door to his bathroom, just glide in. Toilet has a plastic riser which is better for him than the ADA toilets. I have a walker turned backwards to provide handles on both sides when getting up off the toilet. Stable and sturdy. The house still has barriers, but fewer than before and I am constantly thinking of ways to reduce them.