Give up electricity?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Give up electricity?

Post by clemencia2us »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm Oh DG, I am happy that you brought up this topic. I have strong and ambivalent feelings on this subject.

I think I may have said on this forum before that if I wasn't afraid (I have an intense and I know irrational fear of fire of any and every kind if it is in, near or around my home) of heating and cooking with a wood burning device of some sort (be it a wood stove, fire place or whatever), I would give up my electricity in a New York minute!

As it is, I don't have television or internet at my house. I do listen to morning news on the radio but a radio powered by rechargeable batteries would work for that. I suppose I would miss the occasional DVD that I rent - but I would willingly adjust.

This would be for the sake of being frugal, yes, but also because why use what I wouldn't need?
You shuold do it! Why are you afraid of fire? I know people that are afraid of gas stoves. I grew up with gas stoves and heaters. I have those now. Its not going to explode unless it builds up a lot.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm Oh DG, I am happy that you brought up this topic. I have strong and ambivalent feelings on this subject.

I think I may have said on this forum before that if I wasn't afraid (I have an intense and I know irrational fear of fire of any and every kind if it is in, near or around my home) of heating and cooking with a wood burning device of some sort (be it a wood stove, fire place or whatever), I would give up my electricity in a New York minute!

As it is, I don't have television or internet at my house. I do listen to morning news on the radio but a radio powered by rechargeable batteries would work for that. I suppose I would miss the occasional DVD that I rent - but I would willingly adjust.

This would be for the sake of being frugal, yes, but also because why use what I wouldn't need?
What would you do for refrigeration? You wouldn’t have fans in hot weather. Would you do all laundry by hand or go to a laundromat? You’d have no reading lights on a cloudy, overcast day.

I admire almost all of your frugal lifestyle choices. But to me choosing to go without electricity sounds crazy.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I’ll keep my electricity. I guess DG thinks with a Green New Deal we’d all suffer or riot in the streets so why not start voluntary deprivation now.

Looking at my electric bill, I don’t use much. I want to be comfortable in my own home, however, and would give up many other things to keep a/c. Both my refrigerator and dishwasher are EnergyStar (bought when Florida offered a nice rebate program) and I don’t have many small appliances (not that they use much electricity). I don’t go out of my way to save energy but I just naturally don’t use much, just the way I grew up.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

2 dogs and some cats. I smiled when you said a New York minute. It so happens that a utility in New York city is refusing to hook up new customers because the governor will not approve a new pipeline. Being in Florida, I don't have a dog in that hunt.

I was a volunteer for a colonial farm that sponsored "farm days" in hopes of educating people regarding 1880 farm life. I was not responsible for cooking, but I learned a lot about it from the woman who was. I made butter. And she would take the whey for buttermilk biscuits. Cooking on a old fashion wood stove required a lot of understanding and attention. As I recall, it took quite a while to get to cooking temperature and needed regular wood addition.

Now I watched a woman up in Nova Scotia try to bake beans in a wooden stove many years ago. That did not work out as she would have hoped. The modern ovens are amazing and do such a consistent job.

Regarding refrigeration, it is tough in the south, especially where along the coast where you can't dig down before hitting water. At the farm, a lot of meat was smoked and salted. Not much drying because it was too humid. Spices were dried, but kept near the stove to reduce the humidity. A lot of canning when they had the jars to do it. Fruit was made into jelly because it stored well. A woman's work was never done. It was rough. I am hopeful we never get sent back there.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:56 am I’ll keep my electricity. I guess DG thinks with a Green New Deal we’d all suffer or riot in the streets so why not start voluntary deprivation now.

Looking at my electric bill, I don’t use much. I want to be comfortable in my own home, however, and would give up many other things to keep a/c. Both my refrigerator and dishwasher are EnergyStar (bought when Florida offered a nice rebate program) and I don’t have many small appliances (not that they use much electricity). I don’t go out of my way to save energy but I just naturally don’t use much, just the way I grew up.
It was an all day job to live like that back in the old days. No leisure time except maybe on Sunday.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you Clem. A woman was so important in the house and the survival of the family. And so many young people have no idea how much women did. Or men did either.

If electricity is unavailable or limited, it will be rough for most. Sure hope it doesn't happen ever!