Thought you needed "X" but used "X" instead?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Re: Thought you needed "X" but used "X" instead?

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:27 pm I use a lot of substitutions in cooking, a favorite is for brownies. Recipe calls for baking chocolate squares, I use 3 Tablespoons baking cocoa & 1 Tablspoon of butter per ounce of chocolate needed.
Gayle, I imagine you to be quite a good cook. I am not good with substitutions in cooking (it doesn't stop me from trying!). Have you every had any "flops"?
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

2dogs+somecats...thank you! I get inspired by your posts and what others post as well. Now that my son has lost 35 pounds and still going he needs smaller clothes. I told him the first thing to do is shop in his drawers and closet. He has so much in there the rod cannot hold any more. After he and I are finished closet cleaning I told him the next stop is thrift stores. The smaller you are the more to choose from including almost new items. Today he said he was going to buy a water bottle to carry around and I told him to take mine. It is what he wants and I have plenty of others so why spend the money? I really hope he listens to me.

If I can ever get some weight off there is plenty in my closet to shop. I am working on it, eating a whole lot better and doing lots of yard duty work (walking) but nothing yet. I hate working out.

Keep the ideas coming! A great place to look for ideas is the Tightwad Gazette fan club on facebook. Oodles of ideas.

Bev
2dogs+someCats

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

BevMoore wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 pm 2dogs+somecats...thank you! I get inspired by your posts and what others post as well. Now that my son has lost 35 pounds and still going he needs smaller clothes. I told him the first thing to do is shop in his drawers and closet. He has so much in there the rod cannot hold any more. After he and I are finished closet cleaning I told him the next stop is thrift stores. The smaller you are the more to choose from including almost new items. Today he said he was going to buy a water bottle to carry around and I told him to take mine. It is what he wants and I have plenty of others so why spend the money? I really hope he listens to me.

If I can ever get some weight off there is plenty in my closet to shop. I am working on it, eating a whole lot better and doing lots of yard duty work (walking) but nothing yet. I hate working out.

Keep the ideas coming! A great place to look for ideas is the Tightwad Gazette fan club on facebook. Oodles of ideas.

Bev
Hey thank you for the tip about the Tightwad Gazette Fan Club page - going to check it out.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:03 pm Looking for some good inspiration from all of you here regarding successful substitutions you have made for something you thought you needed.

Just an example for starters - this morning I "thought I needed" a new system for my recycling. After a re-organization of my closet (I know, seems unrelated - but wait!) I had 4 of those "cloth bins" completely empty and free to hold plastic, metal, glass and paper on my enclosed back porch. They are way less of an eye-sore than the miscellaneous boxes or bags I was using.

When full, I will take to the garage and empty into my bigger (plastic clothes hamper type) bins - that get emptied by my trash removal company once a month.

When did you "shop your house" for something you thought you had to go out and find?
Oh another one!!

I want to knit chemo caps, but they require very soft yarn. Well I was pitying myself ($5 until payday) then thought on Monday or Tuesday to look in my yarn stash. Oh my! I found so much-nearly a full 30 gallon tote!!😊

Or rather I found it over 5 totes, just sorted, compiled, emptied a tote to put all of chemo yarn into, and stuffed the other totes full so I could put all of my “found yarn” into one spot. I’m going to be making A LOT of peach & lavender color hats, plus assorted other colors.😂
Last edited by gaylejackson2 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

2dogs+someCats wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 pm Gayle, I imagine you to be quite a good cook. I am not good with substitutions in cooking (it doesn't stop me from trying!). Have you every had any "flops"?
Haha... I have flops All The Time, like when I burnt the quinoa to the bottom of the pan last winter, then dropped the whole pan into the snow (and it snowed that night so I didn’t see my pan again for weeks)!

I remember my Dad eating my mom’s cooking flops & saying how good the food was—I guess I kind of expected dh to do the same, but he does Not, quite loudly & vigorous to the opposite.