Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

You are a great cook. You make me hungry whenever I read your posts. Bad girl. LOL
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

As we wave good bye to August and look towards September I have been doing a review. I did spend more than I had planned on with Teddi needing an allergy shot and my new cell phone. However the good thing is that I had enough extra money to do so. I do not have credit cards to fall back on. I made some really good purchases at the grocery store working mostly with loss leaders and electronic coupons at one store and at Ruler their prices are so low I can do a basic stock up of fresh dairy there. I do have to watch their produce some is not good quality.

A while back I set a monthly goal to make the extra money I will need for expenses to attend my nephews wedding in Tennessee in May 2020. I met my goal this month. Making all of the money from survey sites and various places that will give you cash for doing things that are mind numbing at times. However I have nothing but time so make the effort many times a day to sit down and do something. I will not get rich but it does help out with things. I made another $3.00 from Pine Cone Research yesterday. I do not include it in my wedding fund. I save it for buying a rotisserie chicken. I now have enough reward money at the grocery store to get a free chicken with the combination of money however I plan on holding off cashing in the grocery store rewards for a while. It would be nice to build it up to use more towards the holidays when they have their sales.

I am trying to save grocery money this coming month and coast with what I have in the house. I did a little bit of cherry picking the other day at Big Lots for some things that are necessary like green olives.lol. They have nice big jars for $3.00 and I like them in my salads. Also ran across some gluten free crackers which were reasonably priced and very tasty. They only had one packet of Indian yellow curry and I like to have a packet on hand for the days that I do not feel like cooking. I have yellow lentils here so will be cooking more to add to the packet and will stretch it a lot more. I am going to cook the lentils and freeze them for later.

Today I threw the last little bits of chicken from the previous rotisserie chicken in to a pot and added some BBQ sauce from the fridge. Had some for lunch on an onion roll from the grocery store and a dill pickle from Dollar Tree. Probably cost about .65 cents for the meal and I have enough BBQ left for another sandwich. I also made lemonade using 2 small packets of True lemon from The True Lemon company. A year or more ago they had a sale of buy 500 and get 500 free plus free shipping. I am pretty sure I am in to the 500 packets of lime and lemon packets so free lemonade and limeade for the foreseeable future. I did use some powdered stevia, not much, and cannot factor the cost. I like to have the lime on hand for making Asian foods. I love Thai and Vietnamese food. A fresh lime is not easy to come by at the last minute plus the cost is high. The True lemon and lime packets are pricey but if you can find a bargain like I did it is worth it.

So looking forward to no spending on groceries in Sept. As I said before the exception will be a really good loss leader and only using slush fund money.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:58 pm You are a great cook. You make me hungry whenever I read your posts. Bad girl. LOL
Funny you said that since my nephew said the same thing the other day.. lol. Really I am not a good cook. My Mom and my sister were great cooks but I have to follow a recipe..
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:27 pmI also made lemonade using 2 small packets of True lemon from The True Lemon company. A year or more ago they had a sale of buy 500 and get 500 free plus free shipping. I am pretty sure I am in to the 500 packets of lime and lemon packets so free lemonade and limeade for the foreseeable future. I did use some powdered stevia, not much, and cannot factor the cost. I like to have the lime on hand for making Asian foods. I love Thai and Vietnamese food. A fresh lime is not easy to come by at the last minute plus the cost is high. The True lemon and lime packets are pricey but if you can find a bargain like I did it is worth it.
I use True Lemon when making lemon frosting for lemon cake for my lemon-addicted spouse. He uses it in his tea, too.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:23 pm I use True Lemon when making lemon frosting for lemon cake for my lemon-addicted spouse. He uses it in his tea, too.
Sounds yummy..
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Not much going on here. I did manage to save $4.50 from my water bill last month, which I have to pay with this months income, and .13 cents this month from my gas allowance for my car...lol. However .13 cents added to the $4.50 and and I have $4.63 in my slush fund for groceries this month if needed. Not a bad start to the month. I still have cash leftover from last month as well. Making do with what I have in the house for groceries so far but it is only the 2nd of September. It is going to be fun and interesting to see how far I can stretch things.

Momof2 thinking of you and hope you are not in the cone of Dorian. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama