Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Ok I made it to the evening of Sept 2nd and then I bought some things..HSN was having their Labor Day sales and I bought a new TV for my bedroom. It comes with a DVD player. It will cost me $33.33 for 5 months so very manageable. I need a good TV in my bedroom since I plan on camping out in my bedroom for the better part of the winter. I have a large home and it is silly for me to try to heat this whole house for one person. My DVD player died a long time ago and I have favorite movies on DVD's that I have not been able to watch due to that. Also I bought a new air wave antennae. I had planed on getting a second receiver box this winter for the bedroom which would have cost $7.00 a month. This air wave antenna will pick up anything within 65 miles. Since I live close to St. Louis, MO I will be able to get some good local channels. The cost will be $11.99 for 4 months so it will pay for itself in a short period of time. I do have an air wave antennae but it has to be moved frequently if the signals change and it a pain to have to get up and move it around until you get a good signal and sometimes it is not even near a piece of furniture so you have to bring a small table to the area to keep the signal. I do like that HSN allows you to have flex payments and I can use my debit card and they do not charge interest. Hopefully I will not feel the urge to buy anything else this year..lol. However since I spend most of my time at home and TV is one of my main entertainments I felt it was a good idea to get something that works well with my plans. My other TV is on borrowed time. I bought it before I retired in 1995 so figure it is just a matter of time before it goes out and with the new tariffs did not want to wait and see what happens and have to pay more for the same product later on. Thats my story and I am sticking to it...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sounds like a sensible strategy to me. I had a lot of favorite movies on DVD. However, hubs decided to put everything on the computer which I can't use. I considered resisting him, but then he would start with the "let me educate you on the computer" which generally results in him yelling at me. Patiences is not his virtue. And he can't be reasoned with. Also I would never be successful since he is forever upgrading and changing everything. So I have accepted that the days of movies is over. Change is life.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:19 am Sounds like a sensible strategy to me. I had a lot of favorite movies on DVD. However, hubs decided to put everything on the computer which I can't use. I considered resisting him, but then he would start with the "let me educate you on the computer" which generally results in him yelling at me. Patiences is not his virtue. And he can't be reasoned with. Also I would never be successful since he is forever upgrading and changing everything. So I have accepted that the days of movies is over. Change is life.
Sorry for your loss.
My brother goes off on tangents that turn in to yelling. So I try not to give him any ideas as to what it going on in my life unless it is absolutely necessary. He means well but he feels like unless he is yelling you are not listening.. Duh it makes me not to want to listen..
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:28 am Ok I made it to the evening of Sept 2nd and then I bought some things..HSN was having their Labor Day sales and I bought a new TV for my bedroom. It comes with a DVD player. It will cost me $33.33 for 5 months so very manageable. I need a good TV in my bedroom since I plan on camping out in my bedroom for the better part of the winter. I have a large home and it is silly for me to try to heat this whole house for one person. My DVD player died a long time ago and I have favorite movies on DVD's that I have not been able to watch due to that. Also I bought a new air wave antennae. I had planed on getting a second receiver box this winter for the bedroom which would have cost $7.00 a month. This air wave antenna will pick up anything within 65 miles. Since I live close to St. Louis, MO I will be able to get some good local channels. The cost will be $11.99 for 4 months so it will pay for itself in a short period of time. I do have an air wave antennae but it has to be moved frequently if the signals change and it a pain to have to get up and move it around until you get a good signal and sometimes it is not even near a piece of furniture so you have to bring a small table to the area to keep the signal. I do like that HSN allows you to have flex payments and I can use my debit card and they do not charge interest. Hopefully I will not feel the urge to buy anything else this year..lol. However since I spend most of my time at home and TV is one of my main entertainments I felt it was a good idea to get something that works well with my plans. My other TV is on borrowed time. I bought it before I retired in 1995 so figure it is just a matter of time before it goes out and with the new tariffs did not want to wait and see what happens and have to pay more for the same product later on. Thats my story and I am sticking to it...lol.
Janet, if you want a selection of dvds beyond what you own, check your local library. At my library dvds can be checked out for one week. Perhaps your library is part of a library consortium that allows you to request books/dvds from other libraries.

I won’t suggest Redbox because I know you don’t go out every day and there may not be a convenient location.

Another option is Netflix’s dvd by mail service. That is how Netflix got it’s start and they still have the dvd by mail service but they don’t promote it. You could try it for the free month. After that it looks like $7.99/month (I’m sure they would add tax.) but there is no commitment and you could get it just got the winter.

https://dvd.netflix.com/?dsrc=DVDWEB
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:05 am Janet, if you want a selection of dvds beyond what you own, check your local library. At my library dvds can be checked out for one week. Perhaps your library is part of a library consortium that allows you to request books/dvds from other libraries.

I won’t suggest Redbox because I know you don’t go out every day and there may not be a convenient location.

Another option is Netflix’s dvd by mail service. That is how Netflix got it’s start and they still have the dvd by mail service but they don’t promote it. You could try it for the free month. After that it looks like $7.99/month (I’m sure they would add tax.) but there is no commitment and you could get it just got the winter.

https://dvd.netflix.com/?dsrc=DVDWEB
I tried a DVD from my local library a couple of years ago. Do not know what happened but half way through the first DVD my DVD player broke. Not sure if it could somehow be related to it. Do not know how but I am very leery of using DVD's from other sources. However thank you for the information.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you for your sympathy regarding the DVD's. I understand that hubs has a habit of yelling as a result of having to defend himself from childhood bullies and well meaning "You can't do that" people. He achieved as much as any normal person does and did it as a clearly physically crippled person. There has to be adaptation mechanisms to accomplish that. My dad was also crippled with childhood polio and he still succeeded financially in the Depression. He yelled a lot too. So it was something I was familiar with, but no one ever gets used to it.

I also agree with you regarding the library DVD's. We had bad luck with them as well.