NON frugal things that you do :-)

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: NON frugal things that you do :-)

Post by Quilter51 »

Yes DG I think that is very frugal travel. I haven't done much this year but looking at a cruise for next year. Well see how cheap I can go and still get a window. And I amiving proof there is no such thing as a free dog. This pup may be my last.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:10 am I worked with a woman who DID list her dog as a dependent (child) on her income tax! This was 30 years ago but I thought that even back then you needed a SS number for a child. Maybe she was kidding but I always thought she was serious. She lived on the edge but always seemed to land on her feet.
FloridaCat, if she really did this she could have used someone's social like a deceased Mom or Dad's social security #. You have to have a social security # to file your income tax, otherwise it would not let you file if you are doing it electronically.

If this was years ago, before computer systems I guess it could have been possible. I was always under the impression that the funeral home notified the IRS of a person's death. I know they do now for they took care of all that when DH passed away. They sent them the death certificate.

I know I had one customer when I was working for AT&T who tried to use her sister's social to get a phone. I guess she didn't realize that we ran credit to see what her deposit would be and it came up a different name and marked deceased. I asked her who the person was and she said "oh, I made a mistake that is my sister's social" She then gave me her's and she had to pay a $500.00 deposit her credit was so bad.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

littlemiss63 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:28 pm FloridaCat, if she really did this she could have used someone's social like a deceased Mom or Dad's social security #. You have to have a social security # to file your income tax, otherwise it would not let you file if you are doing it electronically.

If this was years ago, before computer systems I guess it could have been possible. I was always under the impression that the funeral home notified the IRS of a person's death. I know they do now for they took care of all that when DH passed away. They sent them the death certificate.

I know I had one customer when I was working for AT&T who tried to use her sister's social to get a phone. I guess she didn't realize that we ran credit to see what her deposit would be and it came up a different name and marked deceased. I asked her who the person was and she said "oh, I made a mistake that is my sister's social" She then gave me her's and she had to pay a $500.00 deposit her credit was so bad.
LittleMiss, doing a little research I’ve found the answer I believe. This would have been for 1989 or 1990 taxes I’m certain because I only worked close to her in those years. I seemed to recall her saying something about not needing a SS number for taxes for a child under age 1.

Well doing the research it turns out that it was the 1986 tax law that made it a requirement to list SS numbers for children. Before that, it was the honor system. But even then it only applied to children over age 5. In 1988 it was lowered to age 2 and in 1990 lowered to age 1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number

It is not in the above article but I found that it was made mandatory for all children in the 1994 NAFTA trade law (yes, Congress often tacks on unrelated items in legislation.)

So now I’m convinced she really did it!

As an aside, she had a lovely, hard-working husband who she divorced because he liked to stay home and not go to parties. Sheesh!
mona50

Post by mona50 »

Using Instacart for grocery delivery . . . (embarrassed, blush, blush). It was awkward at first, allowing someone else to shop my groceries, but I LOVE it! There is a monthly fee and small delivery tip but I justify it by carefully shopping and there is no impulse buying (usually). They "up" the prices a tiny bit but I need a knee replacement and have had a difficult time shopping recently. Sometime, I order/pickup from Walmart but I like Instacart with Publix a lot more.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

floridacatlover wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:37 pm LittleMiss, doing a little research I’ve found the answer I believe. This would have been for 1989 or 1990 taxes I’m certain because I only worked close to her in those years. I seemed to recall her saying something about not needing a SS number for taxes for a child under age 1.

Well doing the research it turns out that it was the 1986 tax law that made it a requirement to list SS numbers for children. Before that, it was the honor system. But even then it only applied to children over age 5. In 1988 it was lowered to age 2 and in 1990 lowered to age 1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_number

It is not in the above article but I found that it was made mandatory for all children in the 1994 NAFTA trade law (yes, Congress often tacks on unrelated items in legislation.)

So now I’m convinced she really did it!

As an aside, she had a lovely, hard-working husband who she divorced because he liked to stay home and not go to parties. Sheesh!
It takes all kinds to to make up this world doesn't it? I was going to research, but you are on the ball you did it for me. Once I got to thinking about it, I couldn't remember listing my children on our income tax. In the late 80's they would have been on their own, so that is why.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am able to travel frugally because I split the costs with old dance partner except for air fare. I watch for sales on it. So unlike most who travel with a spouse, half the bills are not out of my pocket. So it isn't nearly as frugal as it might first appear. I don't want to mislead anyone on that point. Neither one of us are restaurant types, so when we travel, mostly cheap chicken places and even split a meal.