2015 a really bad year for my family

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

2015 a really bad year for my family

Post by LogicsHere »

I don't know what 2016 holds for my family, but I can tell you 2015 was really a downer.

It started out with a horrible winter, losing two tendons in my left shoulder, losing my job and having to put my mom in the NH. It's ending with the news that my brother in law ended up in the hospital Monday night and despite receiving initially not so bad news, yesterday was told that his heart is working only at about 25% and the treatment will depend on what they discover after additional testing of the arteries which could be putting him on a Pacemaker, to an angioplasty(sp?) to open heart surgery again.

My sister had finally found a P/T job to ease the stress of their the bills; they were planning on moving to a smaller, lower rent apartment when their lease ran out at the end of March, her car is almost paid for and now this. They can make it through financially if having to face one of the first two options; but another open heart surgery I'm not sure. She will most likely have to start drawing from the small annuity they started when they had hit the lottery when they first moved to Florida. While not a big one, it could get them through if her husband can't go back to work for a while and even at best it would be for less hours at extremely light duties.

We're trying to remain optimistic that whatever the outcome that he will be OK.

The only one good thing is that my mother after months of rebellion seems to finally be adjusting to the NH . . . not that she's happy being there, but her "eating strike" seems to be over; the acting out tossing things on the floor and raging tirades of profanity at the aides also appear to have ended. She still talks about not wanting to live any more, but it's no longer a daily event but more of a "casual" comment once or twice a week. The medication she's on now seems to have helped a great deal.
dlrcpa

Re: 2015 a really bad year for my family

Post by dlrcpa »

I am sorry to hear all this. I did recall about your mother and I am glad she is adjusting a bit. I hope 2016 is better.
RecoveringDreamer

Post by RecoveringDreamer »

I'm so sorry all this is going on. You're in my thoughts.

Hopefully your mother continues to settle. I'm sure it's a rough transition, but hopefully she'll start connecting with people there to feel more at home.

Keep us updated. <3
A Life Beyond Money
Self Sufficiency. Simple Living. Frugality.

www.alifebeyondmoney.blogspot.com
rinty

Post by rinty »

LogicsHere wrote:I don't know what 2016 holds for my family, but I can tell you 2015 was really a downer.

It started out with a horrible winter, losing two tendons in my left shoulder, losing my job and having to put my mom in the NH. It's ending with the news that my brother in law ended up in the hospital Monday night and despite receiving initially not so bad news, yesterday was told that his heart is working only at about 25% and the treatment will depend on what they discover after additional testing of the arteries which could be putting him on a Pacemaker, to an angioplasty(sp?) to open heart surgery again.

My sister had finally found a P/T job to ease the stress of their the bills; they were planning on moving to a smaller, lower rent apartment when their lease ran out at the end of March, her car is almost paid for and now this. They can make it through financially if having to face one of the first two options; but another open heart surgery I'm not sure. She will most likely have to start drawing from the small annuity they started when they had hit the lottery when they first moved to Florida. While not a big one, it could get them through if her husband can't go back to work for a while and even at best it would be for less hours at extremely light duties.

We're trying to remain optimistic that whatever the outcome that he will be OK.

The only one good thing is that my mother after months of rebellion seems to finally be adjusting to the NH . . . not that she's happy being there, but her "eating strike" seems to be over; the acting out tossing things on the floor and raging tirades of profanity at the aides also appear to have ended. She still talks about not wanting to live any more, but it's no longer a daily event but more of a "casual" comment once or twice a week. The medication she's on now seems to have helped a great deal.
I am so sorry.
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Logics, I am sorry you had such a rough year, but I am glad that your DM is beginning to settle. I am also glad that your DBIL has some possible treatments. Does he have sick leave from his job? or a disability policy? If that annuity can get them thru a year and he still can not go back to work he would be eligble for Soc Security Disability.
I wish the best for all of you.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Let's hope that 2016 is much, much better and much less stressful. take care! cj