Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

My new TV arrived this afternoon. It is a 32 inch. Just perfect for my bedroom. I have a fireplace in my bedroom. It is decorative and suppose to burn gel but the smell of the gel gives me a headache. It is suppose to be non toxic but if it gives me a headache forget it. However it does look nice in the bedroom. The TV fits nicely on the mantel and on a wall that is at the end of my bed so perfect spot for viewing. It was easy to get out of the box and to put the feet on it. I do not have the new air wave antennae so using the old one. Still having a problem picking up signals by having to move it around to get a signal. I really hope the new one works better. Anyway I am a happy camper. I am looking forward to seeing some of my old favorite movies on the DVD player.

Not sure if anyone read the message I posted about Woody breast syndrome on the forum? I made chicken Parmesan last night and it was so tough almost like eating shoe leather.. It was thin and baked in a sauce and should have been tender. I went on line to see what I did wrong but found out there is something called woody breast syndrome. This is due to the chicken farmers making the chickens grow too fast and their meat is fibrous due to that. So buyer beware of big chicken breast. I had a similar problem bought from Aldi's so from now on will buy smaller breast.

I cooked extra yellow lentils to add to the yellow curry that I bought at Big Lots. I loved it. By doing that I can stretch the packet for 3 meals. The yummy Indian taste was still there but the hot spiciness was greatly decrease. From now on I will be making extra lentils to go with the purchases packets making each meal cost about .50 cents. I only got three meals from this packet due to using it without the extra lentils.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

What did you do with the tough chicken breasts? It sounds like it will be hard to tell if they are woody, so what did you do with them? I only fry my chicken breasts after slicing them in half for easy cooking in the skillet. But if I run into super tough ones, I would imagine they would soften up in soup? What are your thoughts "Magic chef"?
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 am What did you do with the tough chicken breasts? It sounds like it will be hard to tell if they are woody, so what did you do with them? I only fry my chicken breasts after slicing them in half for easy cooking in the skillet. But if I run into super tough ones, I would imagine they would soften up in soup? What are your thoughts "Magic chef"?
I used two of them to make my chicken Parmesan. The rest were poached for Teddi to eat. They were so tough raw and cooked. The last one I had to use kitchen shears to cut it up before poaching it and then could not cut it with a a knife after poaching. Had to had to shred it by hand and it was tough. As you know poaching chicken should make it soft. The funny thing is the one from Aldi's I did cook to use in soup and it was on the bone and it was tough too. At the time I mentioned it to my aide how tough the meat was and it should not be after being cooked that long.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have shampooed the living room area of the great room. I used Bissell professional pet urine eliminator + oxy. It looks like it did a great job but I need to let it dry completely to see. I am going to take a long break and then tackle shampooing half of my bedroom.

I really like my new TV and I can even play my music CD's on it. I am thrilled since my CD player is in the great room at the other end of the house. This way I can use it this winter to listen to music in my bedroom. Things are really falling in to place..

After I get my carpet shampooed I will then move my sewing machine in to the bedroom. My brother gave me an old desk and it is perfect for using for my sewing machine. Before I always had to get it out and set it up on a table. Now is is handy to use and will even be better in my bedroom. The lighting in here is more conducive to sewing and I love the view out the windows in my bedroom. I have three large windows in my bedroom that look out to the wooded area behind my house. I do not have anyone to help me move things but I have furniture sliders and a furniture jack. It is amazing how well they work You just have to jack the furniture up a tiny bit and slip the sliders under. Then it is easy to slide things on the carpeting. However there is a hard wood floor in the kitchen and then a hallway that is tiled. Not a problem. I have large rugs that can be easily moved and I just place them over the kitchen and hall floors and slide the furniture.

I had a quick lunch of cheese and gluten free crackers. Going to stretch out and rest for a while then get to work.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

A furniture jack? Sounds interesting since I don't have any help moving anything either.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:27 am A furniture jack? Sounds interesting since I don't have any help moving anything either.
I am not sure where I bought it. I have had it for years but it sure comes in handy. Maybe google it. It is a thin apparatus and you just have to get it under a piece of the furniture and only need to pump it up enough to get the sliders under the legs of the furniture.
Janet Alliesmama