Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

Ok, I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Using food in the house for meals. I had thawed out a package of ground chuck and while browning it the smell of cooking beef made me nauseated. So Teddi will be eating that for the next several days for his food. He had his 2 oz of beef with some of the leftover canned potatoes. He scarfed it down. The cost of the meat is still cheaper than buying him dog food at Petco so not a problem with it being used for his food rather than mine.

I was going to make a stuffed cabbage casserole with the beef but due to the smell changed my mind. I have a big link of kielbasa in the freezer so used about 3 inches of kielbasa in a stir fry of cabbage and onions. I usually take kielbasa out of the wrapping and cut it in to 3 inch piece's and freeze it for later. That way I can just grab a piece for whatever meal I am using it for. I cut the kielbasa in to thin rounds and then in to quarters. I use less meat that way but still have a nice amount of meat in my veggies.

Not sure yet what I will be cooking for today's meals. I have some menu ideas in my head but not ready to tackle that right now. We have a thunderstorm going on right now. Think I will stretch out and listen to it and the rain.. A great way to relax. I love a good thunderstorm as long as it is not destructive.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I am down to eating food from the freezer and pantry. I am thawing out a package of Nathan's hot dogs. They were a special buy a while back and very reasonable in price. I really am not a hot dog person but thought I would have them on hand in case my great nephew had to stay with me during the summer since his mom is a nurse and sometimes works long shifts. School has started and he has turned 14 now and they consider him old enough to stay home alone after school and if his Mom works late he can take care of himself after school until she gets home. So dinner is going to be hot dogs wrapped in a bacon slice with cheese baked in the small counter top cooker or toaster oven and then served with onions, mustard, and pickle relish. I have some pork and beans that I am going to make in to baked beans with added ingredients to make them more tasty. I wish I had a bun or bread but out of things like that. I figure the rest of the hot dogs can be eaten later in the week with sauerkraut. I also have a couple of boxes of Kraft mac and cheese that I had bought for him so will use one for dinner tonight and the next several nights. I will keep one for making tuna noodle casserole some day. I have three apples that need to be used up so will cut them up and cook them with a little bit of sugar and cinnamon for dessert.

Breakfast was a keto English muffin ( used 1 egg .05 cents) with keto sausage gravy. The other ingredients for the muffin were 1 TBS of Parmesan cheese and 2 tsp of coconut flour and a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking soda. So hard to determine the cost but extremely frugal. The sausage gravy is also very frugal. I forget how many servings but it was one roll of sausage ( $3.89) and one package of cream cheese ( .79 cents) with some home made chicken broth (free) and a little bit of onion. Cheap! I have one more serving for breakfast tomorrow morning. I am thawing out another roll of sausage to make a new batch tomorrow so will pay more attention to how many servings I get from it.. Lunch was an apple.. Not really that hungry.

I boiled 11 eggs to make tuna fish salad for lunch for tomorrow and the next few days. Also will keep some whole and make some deviled eggs for snacking. This was the last carton of eggs that cost .59 cents a dozen. I have just enough whole milk from the last store bought half gallon for my coffee tomorrow morning. I think it was .98 cents.. Will make more milk today using Carnation instant dried milk. I have some instant sugar free pudding that I would like to make for snacking. Also I have some carrots that I plan on making in to carrot sticks and will make a dip using the last of the sour cream with a little bit of store bought ranch dressing.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Just amazing. What is your tuna fish with eggs salad recipe? I will want to do something like that after hurricane season ends to get rid of the tuna fish.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm Just amazing. What is your tuna fish with eggs salad recipe? I will want to do something like that after hurricane season ends to get rid of the tuna fish.
I just use a can of albacore tuna.. I do not use the kind that is flakes of tuna swimming in oil or water. Chop up about 1/4 of an onion. I might use more depending on the size of the onion. I use 3 hard boiled eggs and chop them up. Add mayonnaise or Miracle Whip to bind everything together. Some people add sweet pickle relish and chopped celery. I do not like either one in my tuna fish salad.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks