Daily Check in Sept 12, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Sept 12, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Windy, pouring rain, and once again very cool outside. While a few groceries are definitely needed, there is nothing that can't wait a day or two. Perhaps today I will just stick around home and make it another no spend day. This rain is supposed to stop eventually, but right about now I am wondering if an ark would be appropriate.

I am still cleaning bits and bobs out of cabinets in the living room. Just a bit more to do and I can take a bit of a breather. Our next move will be getting the old carpet out and pulling the staples left behind from the underlay. I really wish that the floor was in better shape as there is some really nice pine flooring or that the floor could be covered in laminate or hardwood without a great deal of prep work.

I had a wonderful sleep last night, and woke up very refreshed this morning, very stiff but refreshed. While it is wonderful to get away, it is even better to be home and in your own bed.

I have a few chores from yesterday that did not get accomplished (started to do something else) so they are first on the agenda for today right after I use the treadmill for my morning walk. I am getting lots of steps in right now (my goal is of course 10,000 a day) and have been well above that for Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (Monday was a sit in the car day so not much walking), I am going to try and keep that goal up for the next month or so. My phone app seems to be working perfectly right now the only problem being my data usage outside of my WIFI. I may just have to buy a bit more, this month is a test to see how it goes.

Frugal happenings around the house are the usual. I would love to get out in the garden and do a bit of picking, but with the rain I can't see it happening. I have a feeling the cucumbers will be as big as melons by the time the ground dries enough to get in.

I do have the apples the neighbour brought over to make into pie filling at some point today. The bag full she left should make enough to last the winter and into the spring.

I started pinning things together for the scrap quilt and would like to finish that top today and perhaps start on the denim one (pulled the squares out for that last night), and then of course there are the tea towels to do, and deciding on what to make Hubby for Christmas. I am hoping to make him a fleece vest, so I need to go through my patterns to see what I have, and perhaps get it cut out (I also need to see if I have the right zipper).

I can see I will be kept busy even if I don't go shopping. Better get started on the list quickly that's for sure.

Supper tonight will be the leftover chicken casserole from Tuesday, along with the leftover cucumber salad from last night. Dessert will be the apple strudel I made with the last of the apple pie filling from last fall.

Today I am grateful for the treadmill as that makes it much easier to exercise on days like today. The doctor gave me orders last year to walk for at least 25 minutes a day to help strengthen my bones, the rest of the walking I do is to lose weight. I do hit plateaus, but am so grateful that they don't last too long.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Did not sleep well at all.

Was going to a funeral service this morning. Set my alarm and all, but just can't get going. I did donate towards it, so there is that. They had to do a fundraiser.

Will have to nap sometime today
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I posted yesterday but it must have disappeared in to cyber space.

Good morning everyone. I did get a decent night of sleep last night for a change. I only had about two hours of sleep the night before..

I have been up since around 5:30 AM.. you can tell Fall is on the way. The sky is darker in the morning for a longer period of time and in the evenings it starts to get darker a little bit earlier. However we are not having Fall like temperatures. With the heat index it is hitting close to 100+.

I am having to wash bed linens and the sheet from the couch 3 times in hot water with detergent due to Teddi bring poison ivy in to the house again. Also washing all of his various linens and pillows. Yikes on the water bill and the utility bill. At least with the intense heat we are having they dry nicely on the clotheslines in the garage.

This morning I have been over to my brother's house to take my trash. Then while there I picked up sticks and small tree limbs. The lady next door cuts our grass but due to her back problems she cannot pick up the sticks and her husband use to do it but he had a very serious neck surgery so I volunteered to do the sticks. The first couple of times I was like whoa you are seriously out of shape.lol. Not a surprise at 74 almost 75 but today I did better. So going over for 10 min every day is good for me and helps out where needed. All of my neighbors are about my age so none of us are spring chickens. Glad to see that some of his friends and relatives are helping to take care of the cattle.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning everyone,

I wish I had good news to report about my dn but the prognosis is heartbreaking. The cancer is stage 4 lung cancer and has spread to her liver and bones. There is no cure, only treatment to slightly prolong her life. Dnephew and dn are putting up a very brave face so as not to worry their daughters. I am so sad for them all.

I will try my best to keep busy today.

Creative
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:33 am Good morning everyone,

I wish I had good news to report about my dn but the prognosis is heartbreaking. The cancer is stage 4 lung cancer and has spread to her liver and bones. There is no cure, only treatment to slightly prolong her life. Dnephew and dn are putting up a very brave face so as not to worry their daughters. I am so sad for them all.

I will try my best to keep busy today.

Creative
Creative I am so sorry to hear this. Will keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers. Years ago when I was a patient in the hospital my roommate had a young lady visit her that was also a patient and had stopped in to see her. She had liver cancer and was told she only had two weeks to live but they were starting her on chemo. Two years later when I was again a patient in the hospital this young lady was my roommate. She was still alive! She said she had to have chemo every month but at least she was still here for her children. I hope your DN has a good response to her treatment like this young lady. ((hug)) and prayers.
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ....
Another hot day coming up. DH had an appointment, and was going to do a couple of errands. Think plans are to see a movie later.

Glass guy came out to do measurements, so progress there. Still trying to find a painter, and waiting on the second estimate on the fireplace part. Oh, well ... hopefully it will all get done before the cold sets in.

A movie may be on the schedule today ... depends on what else is going on.

Maggie, good luck. And like the quilt!

Creative, I'm so sorry ... will keep your family in my prayers.