Daily Check-In, Sept. 13, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check-In, Sept. 13, 2019

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Yesterday, a corning ware container I ordered on eBay arrived shattered. The outside carton was not damaged at all. I did get my money returned. It was packed in bubble wrap. I could see it was shattered through the bubble wrap. So I didn’t open it. I was told to pitch it. So I did.

The day before a package I ordered from JoAnns was so over packed it wasn’t funny. A huge carton for the size of my order. I had ordered 2 tape measures. The little round pull out type. Lots of brown wrapping paper.

This morning I managed to drop a stack of ice cubes on the floor, they shattered but were very easy to pick up. I pulled out the shelf liner from the second shelf so I will have to fix this later.

I hope the rest of the day goes better than so far. But really every thing I have dealt with with yesterday and today is just frustration.

Penny
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining for awhile this morning, but it must be pretty cold out as the furnace came on. Definitely need coffee this morning, and will be able to get a cup shortly.

I am pretty proud of myself. I have been reaching 10k steps regularly and exceeding that each day. Sometimes by a great deal, other times by only 1 or 2 thousand. I never realized how much I walk in this house.

I am hoping the ground dries a bit before too long I need to get in the garden and do some picking, but the rain is supposed to return on Monday and after getting 3" of rain, well it is going to take awhile to dry.

Not that much on the to do list today. I did manage to sew all the fabric together for the one quilt top and will start to pin together the denim at some point today for another. Finished one of the embroidered tea towels as well and started the second last night. This one, well it is a bit hard to make out part of the transfer, but I am going by guess and by golly get it done in the next few days.

Apple pie filling needs making today, and will be accomplished at some point today. I don't think I will get much down time to work on crafts, I have a feeling Hubby is going to want my help removing the carpet and underlay in the living room (well at least with the moving of furniture. Frugally speaking there will be no money spent today, bills and all shopping was completed during a bit of a lull in the rain yesterday. There is nothing I need buying and if I am out of something, well I will do without. This will mean 7 no spend days and 6 spend days. Got to pull up my socks.

Just noticed some very ripe bananas. I have a feeling that I need to get some banana bread made as well.

Supper tonight will be cod, coleslaw, corn on the cob and perhaps some creamed potatoes (have cream that needs using).

Today I am grateful for the sunshine we are getting today.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Slept okay, woke with a sinus headache...it's the weather . More thunderstorms yesterday afternoon, more expected today so my mowing plans are shelved for the moment.

I need to run the floor duster and the swifter on tabletops...not doing "true "dusting today. DD's 2 kittens are driving me bonkers, I think the female is coming into season and is being very lovey...they have vet appointments on Monday to get "fixed".

I really need to cut some spent flowers cut down in the flower bed but way too hot and muddy. Maybe in the evening, I can wear my muck boots and get into the garden. I think my potted tomatoes are done...all vines, nothing else going on.

Pasta and breadsticks for supper, salad on the side. Pasta from the freezer, as is the sauce...breadstick dough is pizza dough from the freezer also. Trying to keep things rotated.
Off to get started again.
JCKitty
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ...
Another hot day here ... Kitty, the weather is messing with my sinuses, too.

Went to the second-run theater to see "Aladdin" last night (which I enjoyed). But there was a big sign in the lobby: Coming soon, first-run movies, recliner seats, etc ... Uh, oh ... looks like we're about to lose one of our cheap date options. I'm sure it will be very nice, but I doubt they'll charge the current ticket price of $2.50 or so ...

Ah, well ... when I finish here, I must order some dirt. I mean topsoil. DH has a yard project (one of our many maintenance things), so he needs dirt. Otherwise, I just sent a msg off to another painter; need to call the 2nd dealer about the fireplace part; got an estimate on the windows :o (Have called a 2nd company ... waiting to hear.)

Dinner ... something using leftover pork or leftover chicken. Depends on how much time I have today to deal with prep work.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I slept okay.

Had a volunteer opportunity this morning and i told myself, i would go if i got up in time and with the proper motivation. Got up, just not motivated. Not sure if i mentioned my toe injury. Two middle toes are still purple. Not really painful. Only one is slightly swollen. So i thought - better not go. Duty would involve lots of lifting and walking.

I have been feeling a little anxious this week. Started with that request that i attend some all day thing. Never got a call the next day, so whew - avoided that but still made me "angry" - if that is the right term to use?

Will do lunch today. Then have to get ready for a yard sale tomorrow.

Have a good one
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good lovely Florida day,

It has been a good day so far. I found out that my local Publix recycles styrofoam which is great. And they had a sale on tomatoes, so I dropped by there with the foam and got lovely tomatoes for 99c/pound. I also got the weekly eggs, bacon, cheese at the Walmart market across the street on the way to pick up hubs refill meds. I was able to say nice things to several people and see them smile. And say boo to the druggist with hiccup and watch her laugh. Being nice is a priceless gift and the best way to counter hate.

The nice weather has let me really tackle the "wild" corner of the yard. Three trashcans full of weeds yesterday and 2 more last night. Knee is doing good even walked with my neighbor this morning.

Electric bill was a bit higher, but August is usually our hottest month. Night time temperatures rarely fell below 80F. We are rain free which is good for weeding, but means I have to water. With the storm staying on or off the east coast, just a little extra breeze here.

I have reduced our garbage to one small grocery bag. By recycling the foam, I should be able to produce even less waste. I have found ways to reduce my water use as well.

Today, I am grateful for this lovely day. Hope you have a good one. Thoughts and prayers to those feeling poorly.