DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

Today is Friday the 13th. I am not into superstition, so it is just a Friday to me. I did make appointments for our annual checkups for which we will get gift cards. Mine is in September and hubs is in October when I get back from my trip. I also got 2 trashcans of weeds pulled last evening. And a trip to Home Depot to buy a couple of things. Today, I will do my Walmart Market shopping and pick up prescriptions, make a couple of more phone calls and set up an appointment with the kitchen designer to pay my money for the new kitchen. Then I will continue working in the yard.

This morning, I will go to Walmart Market and pick up eggs, cheese, broccoli and regular food. Walgreens is on the way back and I will pick up hubs prescriptions via the drive through. Traffic is so bad here with the overdevelopment, it is necessary to go between 9:30 am and 11:30 am if you to avoid long lines. Tonight, we will eat leftover beef, beans and fresh broccoli. Tomorrow the fresh broccoli will go into stir fry.

Later this weekend, I will buy meat at Winn Dixie and put most of it in the freezer. Turkey breasts and raincheck beef roasts. I plan to keep out a turkey breast to thaw and cut up and cook. Also keep out a beef roast for cooking. Both outside on the porch in the slow cooker.

I need to go to the big Walmart soon. I need to refinish a table top. I priced the cost of the polyurethane at Home Depot. Wow. I hope I can find it cheaper at Walmart. I also need softener salt. They have the best price.

The electric bill came yesterday. We used just a bit more than the previous month. I was a bit disappointed. Less than last year at this time, but more than last month. However, August is the hottest month of the year on average. I am having to water the garden this week and that will raise the electric charges for this month. I am on a well. Dry weather is forecast through the weekend.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday part 2

Money. The discussion on recession has been interesting. Logics viewpoint is that we are good for 2 years since the current President is so good at manipulating the economy. But from her choice of words, she doesn't like that. Personally, I hope he is that good because that means a great economy for 2 more years and no recession. However, hubs, who is playing the market is taking profits. Typically, in the months leading up to a presidential election, the market gets nervous and goes up and down a lot. It is a good time to take profits and bail out of losers.

Next year at this time, I will begin taking my required distribution. Hubs already has to take his. We live well on our social security money. We live a frugal lifestyle by choice.I think I am going to have to get into the subject more. Something to think on.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

DG will you be affected by the new tropical storm that is forming?
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I will have a blustery day or two, but not much else. Maybe even less if the storm heads east early. Thank you for asking.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday afternoon

I have done the shopping for the day and washed the dishes. I have made a couple of phone calls. One was to order gift cards for my reward points. Old dance partner did see the doctor who ordered several tests for Monday. I will be glad he did this and he should have the results back before the trip. I also arranged for my annual checkup and to get my colon screening. I will get gift cards for both of those health activities.

I have been thinking I need to make more girlie wipes. They are easy to make from old tee shirt sleeves and just the right size. In one case, I cut off the sleeves and made the tee shirt into an around the house skirt. I wear it when I just am not ready to get dressed. I really don't need a second one, so I wonder what else I can make out of the tee shirt with minimum sewing. Have to think on that. I have a lot of tee shirts. Hand me downs from hubs and others. Most of the year it is too hot for tee shirts with sleeves.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm I will have a blustery day or two, but not much else. Maybe even less if the storm heads east early. Thank you for asking.
Good to know you are going to be ok..
Janet Alliesmama