Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Another sleepless night..

I had a good day yesterday. My aide and I went out for lunch for fish sandwiches and french fries. They came with a huge bowl of cream of broccoli soup. I brought a slice of rye bread home and half of my soup. I made a half of a grilled cheese sandwich with the rye bread, heated the soup, and added a pickle and called it dinner. It was a perfect meal. Not too much after having had a big lunch.

My friend from Texas came for a visit. She is the mother of the young lady that owned Teddi. He was happy to see her. She played with him but then he ran over and jumped in my lap and gave me puppy dog kisses and put his little head on my chest and looked in to my eyes like he was saying I want to stay here..This went on several times. She would call him and he would go but then he would run back to me..lol. She said she would love to take him home with her but she knows he is in the best place he can be. She works long hours and her DD is in the navy.

We are suppose to have a cooler day today and I am hoping to get some yard work done before the the heat returns next week. I will do my usual 10 minutes and rest but go out 2 or 3 times.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

Post by Mrscreative »

Good morning Janet and everyone else. I was unable to sleep very well either.

I am reeling from a text I received from one sis-in-law. Apparently she feels Dh and I are being very selfish taking our trip and cruise in the face of dn being so ill. This is not an issue with dnephew at all! I told her we had made all the arrangements in January, well before there was any indication dn was sick. At this point there is nothing we can do besides pray and have faith. I’m sure whether Catholics believe everything is preordained by God and although hard to accept, we have the assurance of an everlasting life in heaven. Dh is not a practising Catholic and honestly hasn’t practiced any of the Catholic sacraments for years. But we both have our strong Christian beliefs and pray to God in our own personal ways. Dh already has anxiety about traveling and we’ve done very little in our lifetime so I don’t think we should feel guilty. She should have contacted Dh directly in my opinion. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. I haven’t mentioned anything to Dh. I’m not a stranger to cancer. My dm passed away of breast cancer at age 48 and my brother passed away at age 60 of breast cancer as well. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. But how is being miserable and not happy within yourself going to help. I thought she was being highly unfair.

Dh and I have only met dn on one occasion as they live overseas. We texted dnephew and he was very gracious. We have held her in our prayers. Family relationships can be complicated!

Sorry about the vent, but I’m very upset. We didn’t take out any cancellation insurance and quite frankly even if we had, I’m not sure if we would have canceled.

Creative
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Meant I’m not sure whether Catholics have the belief that God preordains our death.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Janet and all,

Another lovely day in Florida. The sky is blue with whisps of white clouds. There is a sense of fall in the air. Yesterday was breezy, but right now it is calm. I worked from about 6 pm until dark in the yard. The breeze let me work longer without a break. It helped that the heat index was under 100F. I have cleared most of the "lost" area of weeds and carefully trimmed away the stink vines from the fence and desirable flowering vines.

Normal frugal activities around the house. Hubs will probably do our monthly expense report today. And I will schedule the meeting with the kitchen designer and pay the money. Ground beef stir fry for dinner. A simple day.

Today, I am grateful to wake up pain free. Have a good day everyone. Thoughts and prayers to all who are ill or suffering. Good luck on the trip creative.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 am Good morning Janet and everyone else. I was unable to sleep very well either.

I am reeling from a text I received from one sis-in-law. Apparently she feels Dh and I are being very selfish taking our trip and cruise in the face of dn being so ill. This is not an issue with dnephew at all! I told her we had made all the arrangements in January, well before there was any indication dn was sick. At this point there is nothing we can do besides pray and have faith. I’m sure whether Catholics believe everything is preordained by God and although hard to accept, we have the assurance of an everlasting life in heaven. Dh is not a practising Catholic and honestly hasn’t practiced any of the Catholic sacraments for years. But we both have our strong Christian beliefs and pray to God in our own personal ways. Dh already has anxiety about traveling and we’ve done very little in our lifetime so I don’t think we should feel guilty. She should have contacted Dh directly in my opinion. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. I haven’t mentioned anything to Dh. I’m not a stranger to cancer. My dm passed away of breast cancer at age 48 and my brother passed away at age 60 of breast cancer as well. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. But how is being miserable and not happy within yourself going to help. I thought she was being highly unfair.

Dh and I have only met dn on one occasion as they live overseas. We texted dnephew and he was very gracious. We have held her in our prayers. Family relationships can be complicated!

Sorry about the vent, but I’m very upset. We didn’t take out any cancellation insurance and quite frankly even if we had, I’m not sure if we would have canceled.

Creative
Creative, You should not feel one bit guilty for going on your trip! My goodness, this is a trip of a lifetime that you’ve been planning for almost a year. What does this sis-in-law expect you to do - fly to DN’s location instead even though you have only met her once? No. Is this your DN’s mother or another sister?

A few years ago my good friend’s husband’s only living sister died right before my friend and her DH were to leave on a trip, to Ireland and Scotland as I recall. They did not cancel their trip to attend the funeral. The sister’s daughter was very understanding.

My other good friend was overseas with her son when her DM became very ill and soon died (fairly young). My friend did fly home and was able to get there to say goodbye to her mom - but this was her mother not a distant relative.

I am sorry that this sis-in-law sent you such an upsetting text. To me you have shown more concern and love for your DN than many aunts. (((Hugs)))
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Clem, good luck with your yard sale.

Mackie, you are a true angel. Your single mom friend and the homeless man are blessed to have you in their lives.

Quiet day here. I plan to stay home. I’ll do laundry and a few other chores but mostly fun stuff such as reading, watching skating and a movie and working on the needlepoint Christmas ornament.

I’d like to put out some fall decor but it is still so hot even though the first day of fall is next weekend. So I’ll wait until just before my trip so it will feel somewhat like fall when I get home. My cousin said it’s been in the 70s in RI and that will feel SO good.

Have a good day.