Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:54 am Meant I’m not sure whether Catholics have the belief that God preordains our death.
This Catholic does not believe that our deaths are preordained. I must look it up and see for sure though.....
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:03 am Creative, You should not feel one bit guilty for going on your trip! My goodness, this is a trip of a lifetime that you’ve been planning for almost a year. What does this sis-in-law expect you to do - fly to DN’s location instead even though you have only met her once? No. Is this your DN’s mother or another sister?

A few years ago my good friend’s husband’s only living sister died right before my friend and her DH were to leave on a trip, to Ireland and Scotland as I recall. They did not cancel their trip to attend the funeral. The sister’s daughter was very understanding.

My other good friend was overseas with her son when her DM became very ill and soon died (fairly young). My friend did fly home and was able to get there to say goodbye to her mom - but this was her mother not a distant relative.

I am sorry that this sis-in-law sent you such an upsetting text. To me you have shown more concern and love for your DN than many aunts. (((Hugs)))
It’s my nephew’s aunt. She is single and had been the sole caregiver of my mother-in- law who passed away at 96. It’s not a simple matter to get there either- over a 30 hour flight and 12 hour time difference.

Dh has not been back since his mother passed but that has been his choice, not mine. In fact I have encouraged him to return home to pay his last respects. We stay with her when we return back so that complicates things even more.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is a lovely day out so I just may skip the treadmill this morning and go for a walk. Probably will not get all my steps in for today, but that is okay in my books. As long as I am mobile and walking I am happy (though I am happier meeting my goals).

I am finding in exceedingly difficult to keep my mouth shut when people post stupid (and I do mean stupid) things on Facebook without researching them first. I seem to be reaching the screaming point or the wanting to give them a good shake. I may be practicing more staying away from people over the next couple of months. Politics can divide families, and make ordinary people go crazy.

Today should be dry enough to try and get into the garden. I hope to pick more cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. Hubby will dig up a potato plant or two (though one plant at a time has been perfect to last us a week or more). Soon it will be time to harvest all that is left.

Other frugal happenings here today will be the removal of a bit more carpet from the living room, cooking all meals here at home, working on clearing up the backyard now that things have dried up a bit, working on those stash use it ups for me, and of course the staying out of stores. Today will be a no spend day, and this will bring me up to seven no spend days and seven spend days. Hoping to do better for the remainder of the month.

I also see those over ripe bananas beckoning me and so something will be done with those at some point today. Just got too tired yesterday to even face making banana bread. Also very saddened to read that a good friend passed away from her cancer. "C" fought hard and long, she always had a smile on her face and logged her journey on her Facebook page. I met her when her children were in Youth Group, and while we didn't see each other often spoke after and before Mass, worked together on huge church projects, and once in awhile managed to get out and have coffee together. Her courage, and joy will be missed.

Supper this evening is going to be smoked sausage, the remains of the coleslaw, creamed potatoes, and if I can find enough beans that have not gone to seed, fresh green beans.

Today I am grateful for sunny skies, and the rising temperatures. We may just get a taste of summer once again.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 am Good morning Janet and everyone else. I was unable to sleep very well either.

I am reeling from a text I received from one sis-in-law. Apparently she feels Dh and I are being very selfish taking our trip and cruise in the face of dn being so ill. This is not an issue with dnephew at all! I told her we had made all the arrangements in January, well before there was any indication dn was sick. At this point there is nothing we can do besides pray and have faith. I’m sure whether Catholics believe everything is preordained by God and although hard to accept, we have the assurance of an everlasting life in heaven. Dh is not a practising Catholic and honestly hasn’t practiced any of the Catholic sacraments for years. But we both have our strong Christian beliefs and pray to God in our own personal ways. Dh already has anxiety about traveling and we’ve done very little in our lifetime so I don’t think we should feel guilty. She should have contacted Dh directly in my opinion. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. I haven’t mentioned anything to Dh. I’m not a stranger to cancer. My dm passed away of breast cancer at age 48 and my brother passed away at age 60 of breast cancer as well. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. But how is being miserable and not happy within yourself going to help. I thought she was being highly unfair.

Dh and I have only met dn on one occasion as they live overseas. We texted dnephew and he was very gracious. We have held her in our prayers. Family relationships can be complicated!

Sorry about the vent, but I’m very upset. We didn’t take out any cancellation insurance and quite frankly even if we had, I’m not sure if we would have canceled.

Creative
That is sad that she is putting a guilt trip on you. It is not like you even live close enough to do anything for your DN. You are right to go on with your plans and although I know you have concerns about your DN and her family there is no reason for you to not go.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning again. I went to bed at 6:00 AM and fell asleep shortly there after. I woke up around 8:45 AM bright eye and bushy tail.. Bummer. I refused to get up until around 8:45 AM.

This morning is lovely with bright sun and a cool temp. I plan on doing some yard work but will have to wait for the dew to burn off. I actually had to dig out a light weight blanket this morning before going to bed.

After doing a few things on my daily computer things I am going to do some cooking ahead.

Have a good Saturday everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Not much new today, I have a towel wash in the dryer.

I did my grocery shopping yesterday. I didn’t need much. I only spent $11.19

I do need to work on sorting and dishes. The dish drainer needs emptying as does the dishwasher.

Penny