Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChristmasTrees

Re: Daily Check-in September 14, 2019

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Mrscreative wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 am Good morning Janet and everyone else. I was unable to sleep very well either.

I am reeling from a text I received from one sis-in-law. Apparently she feels Dh and I are being very selfish taking our trip and cruise in the face of dn being so ill. This is not an issue with dnephew at all! I told her we had made all the arrangements in January, well before there was any indication dn was sick. At this point there is nothing we can do besides pray and have faith. I’m sure whether Catholics believe everything is preordained by God and although hard to accept, we have the assurance of an everlasting life in heaven. Dh is not a practising Catholic and honestly hasn’t practiced any of the Catholic sacraments for years. But we both have our strong Christian beliefs and pray to God in our own personal ways. Dh already has anxiety about traveling and we’ve done very little in our lifetime so I don’t think we should feel guilty. She should have contacted Dh directly in my opinion. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. I haven’t mentioned anything to Dh. I’m not a stranger to cancer. My dm passed away of breast cancer at age 48 and my brother passed away at age 60 of breast cancer as well. I guess being upset can make you say hurtful things. But how is being miserable and not happy within yourself going to help. I thought she was being highly unfair.

Dh and I have only met dn on one occasion as they live overseas. We texted dnephew and he was very gracious. We have held her in our prayers. Family relationships can be complicated!

Sorry about the vent, but I’m very upset. We didn’t take out any cancellation insurance and quite frankly even if we had, I’m not sure if we would have canceled.

Creative
Don't fret about this. Your DN is in your thoughts and prayers every day. Staying home from this trip would make absolutely no difference in what the future holds.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I"m back

Not a lot of customers. I only made 25 bucks. I didn't have a lot of things. Oh well - 25 dollars i didn't have before - :lol:

And i have been practicing no shopping habits and hope not have a lot of stuff i need to get rid of in the future.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Evening all -
Greetings from the land of everything I own has decided to break. So far this month we have had to get new tires, a new battery for the car, a new battery for the trimmer and the dryer has started making noises today. This on top of the cost of my new lenses, hubs hearing aids and property taxes has kicked the snot out of my emergency and undesignated funds. Oh and hubs has a chance to go on a golf trip next week and I would never dream of denying him his these pleasures given his health and our age. Glad we are able to pay for it but I never do understand why these things seem to happen all at once. Been this way our entire marriage. Murphy's law of life I guess.

Creative, I am sorry about your SIL's out of bounds email. I honestly believe it is just the anger stage of grief that is happening and that you just ended up being nearest target. She can't yell at cancer or death or her daughter or God since I am sure she is praying for help every minute. For all of your sakes, try and dismiss it as such. She is going through the worse thing imaginable with the impending death of a child, so she can't be expected to be rational or fair. Set it aside and go and enjoy your trip. I am so sorry that this is occurring at all and that it is such bad timing. You and all your family are in my prayers.

Our new neighbors have complained that some branches from our trees in back are hanging over the property line in back - so we have a tree trimmer coming for an estimate tomorrow. Said branches are about 30 feet in the air & I am not sure they can be reached even by a professional - so this should get interesting. So yet another unplanned for expense. Sorry to complain so much - I am just aggravated. Time for serious belt tightening.

Well = I am going to treat myself to an evening of Netflix and embroidery. Oh - I have a book series recommendation for anyone looking for a mystery read. The Memory Man series by David Baldacci. I really enjoyed them - complex plots so I can't figure out what happens before the end. I really like that. Off to veg out and try and reflect on my many blessings rather than my litany of repair bills. Have a great rest tonight frugals
!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm Evening all -
Greetings from the land of everything I own has decided to break. So far this month we have had to get new tires, a new battery for the car, a new battery for the trimmer and the dryer has started making noises today. This on top of the cost of my new lenses, hubs hearing aids and property taxes has kicked the snot out of my emergency and undesignated funds. Oh and hubs has a chance to go on a golf trip next week and I would never dream of denying him his these pleasures given his health and our age. Glad we are able to pay for it but I never do understand why these things seem to happen all at once. Been this way our entire marriage. Murphy's law of life I guess.

Creative, I am sorry about your SIL's out of bounds email. I honestly believe it is just the anger stage of grief that is happening and that you just ended up being nearest target. She can't yell at cancer or death or her daughter or God since I am sure she is praying for help every minute. For all of your sakes, try and dismiss it as such. She is going through the worse thing imaginable with the impending death of a child, so she can't be expected to be rational or fair. Set it aside and go and enjoy your trip. I am so sorry that this is occurring at all and that it is such bad timing. You and all your family are in my prayers.

Our new neighbors have complained that some branches from our trees in back are hanging over the property line in back - so we have a tree trimmer coming for an estimate tomorrow. Said branches are about 30 feet in the air & I am not sure they can be reached even by a professional - so this should get interesting. So yet another unplanned for expense. Sorry to complain so much - I am just aggravated. Time for serious belt tightening.

Well = I am going to treat myself to an evening of Netflix and embroidery. Oh - I have a book series recommendation for anyone looking for a mystery read. The Memory Man series by David Baldacci. I really enjoyed them - complex plots so I can't figure out what happens before the end. I really like that. Off to veg out and try and reflect on my many blessings rather than my litany of repair bills. Have a great rest tonight frugals
!
Lynn I really feel for you. Been there done that in the Summer of 2017.. I do hope you are able to pull out of the situations without too much stress.
When I lived in Edwardsville two blocks off of St. Louis St I had a double tree with branches that were hanging over my neighbors back yard and house. I think you know how big those trees are on St. Louis St? Yikes! That is the size I was dealing with. It took three men two days to get them down and they had to bring in special equipment. Those branches also had to be at least 30 ft in the air. Also had a lot in a subdivision in Collinsville and of course there was a huge tree on my side of the property line that hung over the neighbors pool. The were upset when I told them I was having the tree taken down they liked the shade. I did not like the idea of a big limb coming down on their pool or God forbid on one of them while in the pool. I am afraid the cost of taking down limbs and trees that big it is going to bite you in the butt. However better safe than sorry. Take care..
Janet Alliesmama
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 pm Evening all -
Greetings from the land of everything I own has decided to break. So far this month we have had to get new tires, a new battery for the car, a new battery for the trimmer and the dryer has started making noises today. This on top of the cost of my new lenses, hubs hearing aids and property taxes has kicked the snot out of my emergency and undesignated funds.
You have my sympathy, dear. Apparently the Unexpected Expense gremlin has taken up residence at both our houses ... we've been smacked this summer, too.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Thanks for the commiseration guys!