Daily Check in Sept 16, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Daily Check in Sept 16, 2019

Post by colonialgirl »

Afternoon all
Hope all are well. I am a bachelor girl for 4 days (maybe) - yippie! I say maybe because hubs gets homesick and usually ends up coming home early. I love him and will be so glad to see him Thursday but I LOVE having some time to myself. He is homesick before he leaves - hugging Abby last night with tears in his eyes whispering in her ear, Daddy is gonna miss you and Mommy. Ah well - good problem to have but I am going to treasure this quiet time. Today I am working on paperwork - that will be my focus is cleaning out file cabinets and all things related to paper. My recycling this week will likely end up with the trash guys seeking hernia treatment.

Today's home breakdown is brought to you courtesy of the refrigerator. Yes, last night my ice maker quit working. And the repair legacy continues. I am going to wait a couple of days to call - don't want my alone time compromised with dealing with repairmen. I will go up and buy a 5 lb bag of ice.

Does anyone here follow football besides me? I love football. I am telling you what, there is a young quarterback named Patrick Mahomes that plays for KC. His performance yesterday was absolutely thrilling. He is the absolute best quarterback I have ever seen - hands down. The kind of talent that comes along once in a generation and is just thrilling to watch. I kinda of feel like a Roman at the coliseum - I mean I know and hate the head injury information and I guess likely that someday there will be no football because of the danger. But I can't help it - I love it and I am just going to watch and send up a prayer for the players safety.

Well off to hit the projects. Oh - FCL - glad you got ABC but did you see Christie Brinkley fell and broke here arm and is being replaced by her daughter?

C U all on the flip flop. Happy frugaling.
CG
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

itspennyc wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:03 pm Jackie please go to the Emergency Room if the bleeding continues. Also make sure you have had a Tetnus shot in the last 5 years.

Penny
The bleeding has stopped Penny and we have cleaned the rather large wound. Pulled the sides together tightly with a butterfly bandage ( perhaps we should have used two) and rewrapped gauze around to protect it from bumps.

I had a tetnus shot not that long ago so it should be okay. Thanks for reminding me to check on that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackie, I’m so sorry that you hurt your hand. Is this the same hand with the broken wrist? Glad you have had a tetanus shot. That is something I need to do.

CG, after I posted about my TV antenna I read about Christie Brinkley. I’ll cheer for her daughter. I’ve only heard of a few other contestants. I’m sure you know who I WON’T be cheering for on the show!

I finally completely unfolded the red-and-white coverlet that my great-grandmother made. My mom had it stored in a white plastic bag in a chest drawer. I was afraid it might be stained or discolored but it’s perfect. I love it so much. It is all hand pieced with tiny stitches. It isn’t a quilt (no batting) but just the pieced top and plain back so a coverlet I guess. For now I’ve put it in the quilt bag I bought but I’m thinking of using it. I’m the last of my generation so who knows where it will go when I’m gone. I’m a believer lately of using my nice things. Of course I’ll be careful. I think it would be lovely with a white eyelet bed skirt which I already own. My bed is a double/full (not queen) so is the right size.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:52 pm Jackie, I’m so sorry that you hurt your hand. Is this the same hand with the broken wrist? Glad you have had a tetanus shot. That is something I need to do.

CG, after I posted about my TV antenna I read about Christie Brinkley. I’ll cheer for her daughter. I’ve only heard of a few other contestants. I’m sure you know who I WON’T be cheering for on the show!

I finally completely unfolded the red-and-white coverlet that my great-grandmother made. My mom had it stored in a white plastic bag in a chest drawer. I was afraid it might be stained or discolored but it’s perfect. I love it so much. It is all hand pieced with tiny stitches. It isn’t a quilt (no batting) but just the pieced top and plain back so a coverlet I guess. For now I’ve put it in the quilt bag I bought but I’m thinking of using it. I’m the last of my generation so who knows where it will go when I’m gone. I’m a believer lately of using my nice things. Of course I’ll be careful. I think it would be lovely with a white eyelet bed skirt which I already own. My bed is a double/full (not queen) so is the right size.
Lord I never even thought about it, but of course it is. I think I have grown even more clumsy as I age and wit. this wrist being weaker It stands to reason this would be the hand and arm most likely to be injured.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

FCL - use the coverlet and post a picture if you do please! No one will ever appreciate it like you do so you should get to see it every day. Being a long time antiquer, I would love to have some family pieces but I have only things from my parents generation except for 6 plates from my grandfather. Heck - I don't even have a picture of my great grandparents. You are so blessed.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

LWolfT wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:31 pm Good afternoon...
It's warm but pretty pleasant outside today ...

Been playing plumber ... One of the toilets has needed some jiggling to shut off after flushing. But Saturday, nothing worked. We then realized the toilet shut-off valve didn't work either.

So on Sunday, DH (for reasons that still escape me) flushes said toilet. It keeps running; we have to use the main shut-off valve. Fortunately, we keep water on hand.

Remembered that when the plumber repaired a shut-off valve, he simply changed the washer. :o So ... I check YouTube, then take the valve apart; the washer is in pieces. A trip to the hardware store, 50 cents for a washer and the shut-off now works. (Had to deal with a small flood when I got back ... put a bucket under the pipe, but it overflowed.

As for the fill valve ... dunno. Busted? Piece of washer in there? I can't get it apart to find out. At least life can get back to semi-normal while we figure out what to do. (Which reminds me ... I need to restart the washer. Had a load going when all he77 broke loose.)
That is amazing that you were able to fix the valve so easily.. you go girl.
Janet Alliesmama