Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:27 am I wish you energy, Janet. I am starting a 6 point program that included making sure you do something for yourself each day. Make sure you do something nice for yourself today.
Thanks DG if wishing would only make it happen.lol. I envy yours. You do so much. I think I do something every day for myself. I learned that a long time ago.
Good luck with your 6 point program.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Stayed out of the store today.. Had brunch made with leftover tuna fish salad with the last of my gluten free store bought bread. I need to find a way to make bread at home but hampered by my stove oven and my counter top convection oven are both not working. The counter top oven is iffy. I am thinking I can make some muffins if I pay close attention and turn the pan to brown on both sides of the pan. My little toaster convection oven is too small, I think, and the gluten free cook book said that a bread machine does not work well with her recipes. Although some of the books say you can use one. Need to dig my extra bread machine out of the basement. It may not work it has been in storage for years but it is worth a shot to try to save money if I can. Store bought gf bread cost too much even with a coupon.

I have a lot of rotisserie chicken leftover since Teddi is not eating it. Found a jar of Indian Tikka sauce in my pantry. It really is for using with fresh chicken but I am going to use some of it and simmer some of the chicken in it and freeze the rest for another time. I have cauliflower rice to use with it. I am going to make some sugar free jello to go with it to cool off my tongue.. lol.

I am going to work on some menu ideas to use what I have on hand.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I did not make the tikka chicken. I decided there were too many leftovers that needed to be used up. I did go through my fridge and pull out the various flours that are needed to make gluten free bread. I will try to make up a couple of batches so it will be easier to make bread. I am going to try to bake it on a counter top cooker. It will accommodate a loaf pan. Gluten free flour requires a little of this and a little of that and I almost feel like a mad scientist putting things together..lol. God bless the pioneers that developed the recipes to try to make gluten free more like wheat based flour.

I went over the store ads again and saw the rotisserie chicken that I like is on sale for $4.99 in combination with some loss leaders that I can use and will need down the road. I decided to buy one and will use store reward so the total cost will be $1.34 with tax. woo hoo. I can usually stretch a chicken for almost a week depending on what I make. Also with Teddi eating dog food it will go even further. I will buy it Sunday or Monday since I still have chicken left from my current chicken. Went over the pantry and freezer and got some ideas on what to make with what I have on hand.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I made your tuna fish, egg salad for hubs last night. Thanks for the inspiration.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:36 am I made your tuna fish, egg salad for hubs last night. Thanks for the inspiration.
You are welcome. Gosh I thought everyone has their own version of tuna fish salad...At least here in the Midwest it is a typical lunch thing especially during Lent.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

The best laid plans of mice and men etc .. I went in to town today to pick up more dog food for Teddi. He seemed to like the flavor I bought him the other day but I only bought a small roll since he is so picky. However he has been eating it so I was going to buy two more since the small roll does not last as long as a big one. They were out of his flavor of course. So had to buy a bigger roll with similar flavors but not exactly the same. I hope he likes it. Also I have not had the energy to make bread so stopped at Big Lots to buy some gluten free crackers. Big mistake. I found other things that I will need in the future like yellow curry, salad dressing, sugar free vanilla pudding, olives,etc. It came to $27.00 and change.. It is sort of ok since I recently earned the money on a survey site and I have $30.00 to use from there but had hoped to save it up for a big shopping spree around the holidays when they have more things on sale. However everything I bought was food so it is ok but still... if I had not gone into the store I might have been able to squeak by a little bit longer with what I have on hand. There is always the on and off argument with myself, " should I buy while the prices are low and stock up or wait a little bit longer when things are close to running out?" I remember years ago I was on the fence about buying a house that I dearly loved but when I finally decided to buy it and made an offer it had just been sold. You just never know what to do. At least with the food I have it and will be able to eat it eventually. It is better to have a bird in the hand rather than two in the bush..
Janet Alliesmama