Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Dgflorida »

I feel the same conflict about stocking up or not on food. Unfortunately, I also hold on to other things I think I may use, so I have some clutter. That is why I am in the fly baby group.

With the "new to me" freezer that I got from my neighbor, I can stock up a bit. But I do worry about power loss from a hurricane, so I am conflicted. So I am right there with you.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:58 am I feel the same conflict about stocking up or not on food. Unfortunately, I also hold on to other things I think I may use, so I have some clutter. That is why I am in the fly baby group.

With the "new to me" freezer that I got from my neighbor, I can stock up a bit. But I do worry about power loss from a hurricane, so I am conflicted. So I am right there with you.
I have had power outages for days and lost food so when I stock up it is canned or packaged foods. The Indian foods are wonderful to have on hand they are heat and eat.. However I will be cooking more yellow lentils to stretch it further. What would be a 2 meal packet can be stretched to 4 meals easily. If during a power outage it can be all eaten without a problem of feeling overfed.

I am on and off the fence about buying a freezer just for that reason. A power outage is of concern where I live.

I keep a lot of things since I really cannot afford to go out and buy new. They have come in handy for making "new" clothing. I inherited some of my things so I might have duplicates but they come in handy when something no longer works. I do have a very large basement to store things in so not a problem.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

All I wanted to do was to use up some BBQ sauce in the fridge. Had more chicken then I anticipated and less BBQ sauce than I needed. So after flipping through some cook books found one for Arby's BBQ sauce.I have never eaten their sauce before so hope it is good. I chose it since it required the least amount of ingredients and less time to make. I did not have enough ketchup and had to open another bottle which was ok. Now waiting for it to cool and meld flavors. I realized a long time ago if you keep the basics in the house you can usually make whatever you need. There are so many clone recipes on the internet it is hard not to find a recipe for even a manufactured product and the overall cost is usually cheaper than buying at the grocery store.
Janet Alliesmama
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

If I am out of something I find myself scrounging around the refrigerators, freezers or pantry and can usually find something that will work. We are out of salad dressing but I found a container of bruschetta olives that have kind of a vinegary taste. Perfect and saved a trip to the store.

Bev
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:12 pm If I am out of something I find myself scrounging around the refrigerators, freezers or pantry and can usually find something that will work. We are out of salad dressing but I found a container of bruschetta olives that have kind of a vinegary taste. Perfect and saved a trip to the store.

Bev
Good job of making something work for you. You are right if we scrounge around we can usually come up with something. I never really cooked that much until I retired. Now that I am in my dotage..lol..I am leaning to cook and enjoy more cooking from scratch.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I kind of expect to get into cooking more as well once my new kitchen is installed. I expect to sit in the transport wheelchair and cook. I will use my knee up in the garden, but at the end of the day when the knee is done, I will be able to get a lot accomplished in the kitchen without my knee. I will have a vertical spice rack hidden in the "leg" of cooktop table that I will be able to pull out and select spices and herbs for meals. It is only about 4 inches wide and perfect. I use the transport chair in the office area since it is smaller than a regular chair. Do you use a wheelchair at all?