DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday late afternoon

Well, every time I walk outside, it starts raining. I got the butterfly nectar garden mostly covered with cardboard. I decided to just make an early dinner. So I have it started now. We are having Mexican flavored ground beef. Ground beef with fresh yellow and orange peppers, fresh onion and jalapeños with chopped tomatoes. Also a green sauce to add at the table. I like my Mexican with chopped fresh lettuce. Hubs does not. Maybe after dinner, I will get some time to finish the nectar bed. Very economical meal because I got the peppers 2/$1 and the onions 3 lbs for 99c. Ground beef was $1.79/lb. Canned tomatoes 50c

The evening ends early for me. I go to bed soon after dark. I do enjoy sleeping and most nights, it is very refreshing. I hope Janet begins to sleep better. Thoughts to Janet. No call from the doctor which I take to mean, the re-tests came out fine. No news is good news sometimes.

Had a good discussion with my old dance partner, travel companion. He is feeling ok. Not great and not healthy. But the bad medication should clear his system by next week. And hopefully, he will follow the doctor's orders and avoid alcohol which appears to be a factor in this issue. Fingers crossed on that one.

The weather is supposed to clear and get drier which will feel cooler. I should be able to do more work outside. Working in my garden really helps my attitude.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:32 pm Tuesday late afternoon

Well, every time I walk outside, it starts raining. I got the butterfly nectar garden mostly covered with cardboard. I decided to just make an early dinner. So I have it started now. We are having Mexican flavored ground beef. Ground beef with fresh yellow and orange peppers, fresh onion and jalapeños with chopped tomatoes. Also a green sauce to add at the table. I like my Mexican with chopped fresh lettuce. Hubs does not. Maybe after dinner, I will get some time to finish the nectar bed. Very economical meal because I got the peppers 2/$1 and the onions 3 lbs for 99c. Ground beef was $1.79/lb. Canned tomatoes 50c

The evening ends early for me. I go to bed soon after dark. I do enjoy sleeping and most nights, it is very refreshing. I hope Janet begins to sleep better. Thoughts to Janet. No call from the doctor which I take to mean, the re-tests came out fine. No news is good news sometimes.

Had a good discussion with my old dance partner, travel companion. He is feeling ok. Not great and not healthy. But the bad medication should clear his system by next week. And hopefully, he will follow the doctor's orders and avoid alcohol which appears to be a factor in this issue. Fingers crossed on that one.

The weather is supposed to clear and get drier which will feel cooler. I should be able to do more work outside. Working in my garden really helps my attitude.
Dg your Mexican dinner sounds yummy. Also you found some great bargains grocery shopping. I bought some ground chuck yesterday to make taco's in the near future.

Sorry you were not able to go on your vacation. I do hope that your friend follows Drs orders and gets better.

I hope I sleep better too.. It makes a big difference in how people feel.

Take it easy with all of the gardening you need to be good to your knee.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. From a frugal like you, a compliment is a big deal. Can you see my big grin of frugal pride?
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday am

A lovely day ahead. Yesterday, I signed up for 2 seminars which are actually fronts for selling, but that is ok. They each come with gifts. One a meal, the other a $10 gift coupon to Publix. I use the coupon every year to pay for a whole turkey from Publix grocery store. I signed up for the seminars that are on Thursdays because I can take advantage of the locations. They are both near Aldi's and not that far from my go to Walmart Market. Thursdays are my preferred shopping days.

The grocery ads are out for the week. Nothing I need. I have plenty of meat and I stocked up on fresh vegetables. In fact, last night I even had vegetable "bloat", a good feeling. I had cucumbers and tomatoes for lunch as well as onions, peppers, black beans, tomatoes with jalapeños for dinner. Meat and vegetables. The keto way.

I decided I wanted pinto beans tonight with the turkey. So I put them to soak. Hubs like black beans a lot, but I am more versatile in my beans. I have a big bag of pinto beans, but only a little left of the black beans and no little red beans, a tasty favorite of mine. Keeping my eye out for a good price. Here, under a $1/pound is a good price. If I didn't need the protein from meat, I could feel rich living on beans and vegetables.

I recycle the fat from the ground beef meals. There always is some. Lately, I have been spooning off quite a bit of the fat before adding in tomatoes which always add a lot of liquid to the meal. I then use that fat the next morning to cook the eggs and turkey bacon. I have a nice big bowl of grease that I keep in the refrigerator. I have really reduced the amount of oil I need to buy as a result. And any savings is a good savings.

I am amazed at how much of a difference cloth girlie wipes(number one) make in the amount of toilet paper. Less toilet paper is good for the septic tank. And good on the budget. Also paper is a very energy intensive product, so less is good for the environment as well. Since both hubs and I use "urinals", we don't flush the toilet as often and that saves water. The girlie wipes are so easy to clean.

Today, I hope to use the rainy periods to re-organize the open porch area that I generally use for garden transplants and projects. It is not enclosed, so not friendly during mosquito times. I want to get it ready to accept my old sink which I will recycle for upgrading my garden area. There, I will be able to wash vegetables and other such things. It was leak free until the roofers stepped on it. Now it has leaks. Stupid roofers.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday-thought for the day

For some reason, my thoughts have turned to the stock market recently. I was pleased with the response to the recession post. I watch nightly business report and I appreciate the guests they have. The guests are often the "real" Wall Street movers. Not the talking heads pushing fear and looking for their 3 minutes of fame. It appears that the movers don't believe there will be a recession. Certainly, the stock market thinks it is unlikely as it barrels to new highs, dips a bit and runs back up. I want to unload a fund that invests in Canada. When I invested, I saw Canada as a resource rich opportunity. But the government has smothered the opportunities. I can see why western Canada is considering rebellion from Ottawa. Europe is in recession or near recession in my opinion. They insist they aren't. but for those of us who read beyond the headlines, oh yeah. That leaves Asia and South America. Time to pay attention.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:36 am Wednesday-thought for the day

For some reason, my thoughts have turned to the stock market recently. I was pleased with the response to the recession post. I watch nightly business report and I appreciate the guests they have. The guests are often the "real" Wall Street movers. Not the talking heads pushing fear and looking for their 3 minutes of fame. It appears that the movers don't believe there will be a recession. Certainly, the stock market thinks it is unlikely as it barrels to new highs, dips a bit and runs back up. I want to unload a fund that invests in Canada. When I invested, I saw Canada as a resource rich opportunity. But the government has smothered the opportunities. I can see why western Canada is considering rebellion from Ottawa. Europe is in recession or near recession in my opinion. They insist they aren't. but for those of us who read beyond the headlines, oh yeah. That leaves Asia and South America. Time to pay attention.
Really very few wish to rebel. As a Canadian I can tell you that in reality it is pretty much just Alberta and many of them have big mouths and little to back it up.

Also this government has not "smothered" the industry. The previous Conservative government had 10 years to get pipelines for Alberta oil to water and were unable to do so. In 4 years the Liberal government finished one pipeline and started on a second. The second one is in the courts again for another round of fighting by some groups. Our enviromental laws are much stricter than the U.S. and our leaders do not stick their noses into judicial matters. Our laws do not allow that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/