Daily Check-In October 10/19

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-In October 10/19

Post by Jackielou »

Mrscreative wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 am Good morning once again. Still adjusting to the jet lag and came back with horrendous congestion and a sore throat. The 8 hour layover in Toronto was especially difficult. But so far have managed to completely unpack everything, finished all our laundry, picked up essential groceries and paid off all the bills/ sorted through mail. Just sipping a Neo-Citran right now. Slowly but surely things are getting back to normal.

Not many plans for today aside from getting meals ready and resting. Still have a couple of things to hand wash.

Creative
Welcome home Creative. Our oldest son always seems to catch a cold on the way home after traveling. You rest and get rid of the jet lag.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am So glad to hear you are feeling better Janet.
Thank you.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Snow is still on the ground and with the freezing overnight the wet roads are a bit icy. I have a bad feeling about our winter here on the Canadian prairies.

As the shopping and errands were completed yesterday I am hopeful of getting a few things done today. After all the listed household tasks are completed I want to bake cinnamon buns, and some squares (Hubby's sweet tooth is acting up and the DS's will be home). I also want to put the patched up backing on the denim quilt.

Really it will be much like any other Thursday around here. Some things I want done will be done, others perhaps are just a pipe dream and will need to wait until tomorrow (though I hope to be making pies and condensed tomato soup).

My afternoon will be taken up with the leading of the afternoon session of the Bible Study, running home and getting supper done, cleaned up and back to the church for the evening session. Hopefully I will feel that this has been worth all the stress by the time it is over on the 19th of this month.

On the frugal front, while we are not lucky enough to have the yellow stickers like the UK or some places in the east, I did manage to save almost $20.00 on our groceries yesterday. I am also almost at 75K points on my Neilson HomeScan site. I should probably think about what I want to get from their catalogue to use some of those points up.

Still on the frugal front, supper tonight will be the leftover Baked Spaghetti, garlic bread and salad. Got to get the fridge cleaned out and ready for all the Thanksgiving leftovers that are coming.

Today I am grateful that our sons still enjoy coming home to spend time with us.

I will check back later if possible with an update on how I am doing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:40 am Good morning all,

Another lovely day in Florida. This morning is bright and clear. The sky is blue and cloudless. It is a do something kind of day. Although I am still sad that my trip was canceled due to old dance partner's heart condition, I have taken that time and put it to good use. The butterfly nectar garden is covered with cardboard weed barrier and I planted the broken pieces of lantana that have rooted and also a small milkweed plant, the host plant for the monarch butterfly. I also planted a rooted cutting of the passionflower that is a butterfly host. I love butterflies.

Today, I will plant my 3 tomato plants and my sweet pepper plant in large pots. Not much of a vegetable garden, but I am more focused on flowers right now. I am getting the porch area ready to accept the current house sink that will be replaced with a ADA sink during the kitchen remodeling. The stove and dishwasher will go. Replaced with a non coil cooktop and an 18 inch dishwasher more suitable to 2 people and more water and energy efficient.

Vegetable prices are great right now and the refrigerator is stuffed with fresh stuff. Fresh vegetables are such a joy to eat. Usually by the end of the day, I have vegetable bloat and I like it.

Today, I am grateful that the hurricane season is almost over. The anniversary of the terrible cat 5 hurricane that hit northern Florida last year has passed. Those quaint towns were so lovely. How will they rebuild? The state has tightened the building codes a lot since those home were built. And then there is the terrible devastation of the Bahama islands this year. My thoughts and prayers to them all and to all who are suffering. Have a good day everyone.
Dg sorry about your trip being canceled. Hopefully things will be better for your friend and you can plan something in the Spring. The way the months zoom by it will be here before you know it. I know I am jumping the gun for season's but it does seem like the years are flying by faster and faster.

I enjoy hearing about your gardening. Wish I had the energy to even plant a few flower bulbs now for Spring.

I know it is so sad what has happened with the hurricanes. Glad the season is winding down.

Your kitchen remake sounds wonderful. The hard part will be getting through things being torn out and then put back together but then you will have a fully working kitchen for yourself and your DH and it will make life so much easier as you get older.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:07 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Snow is still on the ground and with the freezing overnight the wet roads are a bit icy. I have a bad feeling about our winter here on the Canadian prairies.

As the shopping and errands were completed yesterday I am hopeful of getting a few things done today. After all the listed household tasks are completed I want to bake cinnamon buns, and some squares (Hubby's sweet tooth is acting up and the DS's will be home). I also want to put the patched up backing on the denim quilt.

Really it will be much like any other Thursday around here. Some things I want done will be done, others perhaps are just a pipe dream and will need to wait until tomorrow (though I hope to be making pies and condensed tomato soup).

My afternoon will be taken up with the leading of the afternoon session of the Bible Study, running home and getting supper done, cleaned up and back to the church for the evening session. Hopefully I will feel that this has been worth all the stress by the time it is over on the 19th of this month.

On the frugal front, while we are not lucky enough to have the yellow stickers like the UK or some places in the east, I did manage to save almost $20.00 on our groceries yesterday. I am also almost at 75K points on my Neilson HomeScan site. I should probably think about what I want to get from their catalogue to use some of those points up.

Still on the frugal front, supper tonight will be the leftover Baked Spaghetti, garlic bread and salad. Got to get the fridge cleaned out and ready for all the Thanksgiving leftovers that are coming.

Today I am grateful that our sons still enjoy coming home to spend time with us.

I will check back later if possible with an update on how I am doing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie I do not know how you manage all that you do at home and then when you add in the church actives you are amazing. Enjoy having your boys home for the holiday.
I think we are suppose to have a colder and wetter winter here in the Midwest of the US. Wet can mean snow or ice storms. I prefer snow since ice storms the power can go down. Anyway cannot change anything just get prepared and hope for the best.
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I woke up multiple times last night, I was able to fall asleep again each time.

Last night I started knitting a slightly taller Tiny Mario. He will be bigger than the tiny one I knit earlier. Not as tall as the Nutcrackers or Queens guards.

I have to see if I can find something to watch other than the news. I have a recorded episode of Nova ready to watch.

Penny