2015 a really bad year for my family

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Re: 2015 a really bad year for my family

Post by ohjodi »

I'm sorry it's been a rough year.....troubles always seem to come in clusters.

Have your brother in law contact Social Security for disability ASAP. There are a handful of conditions that SS approves very quickly. Here is the list of cardiovascular items:
https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professi ... -Adult.htm

I was approved in just four months for "chronic venous insufficiency" on that list. I could have applied a year and a half earlier, but I didn't know my issue was considered a disability, and DOCTORS WILL NOT TELL YOU.

If your BIL has any of these conditions, have him find out when he was first diagnosed with it. SS Disability will pay back-pay dating to the diagnosis, minus five months. I received 11 months back pay when I was approved. That was $12k! It could have been a few months more, but I dated my condition to my leaving my last job because of my CVI condition, instead of dating back to the diagnosis. I just wasn't aware that I could still be considered disabled even though I had been working after diagnosis.

The application process is long and tedious. Paperwork, paperwork. Your sister will need to help with it. She needs to xerox EVERYTHING she sends to SS, and print out EVERYTHING she fills out online. SS keeps sending you more things to fill out that look exactly like what you just did, but you have to keep doing it. Making copies of everything helps because your sister will be able to just refer back to it and copy the information when needed.

I also called the SS person named on the letters I'd receive from SS. I think this was my caseworker. I'd call about every 10-14 days, and I'd just ask "do you have everything from me? Have you sent anything recently? Is anything missing?" I also called and told her about a mistake I made on an item, and she entered the correction over the phone. I noticed the small mistake while re-re-re-re-reading the copies of what I had sent. I called regularly because I was so afraid of something getting lost in the mail and screwing things up.

And just another note: Even if your BIL does not exactly meet all of the criteria listed, SS will consider other medical problems he may have in addition, and together it all may add up to approval.
ohjodi
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Postby LogicsHere » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:41 am

I don't know what 2016 holds for my family, but I can tell you 2015 was really a downer.

It started out with a horrible winter, losing two tendons in my left shoulder, losing my job and having to put my mom in the NH. It's ending with the news that my brother in law ended up in the hospital Monday night and despite receiving initially not so bad news, yesterday was told that his heart is working only at about 25% and the treatment will depend on what they discover after additional testing of the arteries which could be putting him on a Pacemaker, to an angioplasty(sp?) to open heart surgery again.

My sister had finally found a P/T job to ease the stress of their the bills; they were planning on moving to a smaller, lower rent apartment when their lease ran out at the end of March, her car is almost paid for and now this. They can make it through financially if having to face one of the first two options; but another open heart surgery I'm not sure. She will most likely have to start drawing from the small annuity they started when they had hit the lottery when they first moved to Florida. While not a big one, it could get them through if her husband can't go back to work for a while and even at best it would be for less hours at extremely light duties.

We're trying to remain optimistic that whatever the outcome that he will be OK.

The only one good thing is that my mother after months of rebellion seems to finally be adjusting to the NH . . . not that she's happy being there, but her "eating strike" seems to be over; the acting out tossing things on the floor and raging tirades of profanity at the aides also appear to have ended. She still talks about not wanting to live any more, but it's no longer a daily event but more of a "casual" comment once or twice a week. The medication she's on now seems to have helped a great deal.

A year like you have is very difficult. We never know what tomorrow will bring.

But remember that each day is a new day.

All I can offer is {{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Penny
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

I know how Logics feels. This yr dh has been in hospital twice for blood transfusions. In May my sis died and in November. I lost my brother. I am hoping for a better yr too.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

ownedbydogs wrote:I know how Logics feels. This yr dh has been in hospital twice for blood transfusions. In May my sis died and in November. I lost my brother. I am hoping for a better yr too.
I'm so sorry for your losses and your husband's health issues. I hope next year is better for you, too.
ohjodi
ChopinLover

Post by ChopinLover »

Disability from SS is baffling. My BFF's hubby was massively sick and on dialysis, getting a kidney transplant. He qualified per SS's OWN RULES, yet they still tried to deny it! My BFF hired a lawyer and had to file charges and force SS to cover her hubby. Yes, he got back pay. But I find it appalling that she had to spend money out of her own pocket to force them to follow their very own rules that clearly stated he qualified.
Unreal.
YET< I know a woman that faked disability merely by whining, crying, bellyaching and harassing Drs. for years over a small car accident. She was 61 and SS gave it to her in a heartbeat.
blondeinbuffalo

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

To get ssdi in nys has become increasingly difficult. most cases are denied on the first round. unfortunately, a lot of folks will not pursue it and they should! if necessary, in nys, you can hire a disability attorney and they will get a nice piece of your claim, if you are owned back money but you will get ssdi and that is important for anyone who really needs it. cj