DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you Janet. You are so sweet and caring. I am so sorry to hear that you had arthritis so young and so bad. X-rays show it is not arthritis. But they refused to do an MRI without a 6 week treatment of cortisone. I do shots poorly. Apparently, the carrier fluid and I do not agree. And masking the pain risks more damage. I am having to take a do less day and it is driving me crazy. Well, I will take your advice today.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:49 pm Thank you Janet. You are so sweet and caring. I am so sorry to hear that you had arthritis so young and so bad. X-rays show it is not arthritis. But they refused to do an MRI without a 6 week treatment of cortisone. I do shots poorly. Apparently, the carrier fluid and I do not agree. And masking the pain risks more damage. I am having to take a do less day and it is driving me crazy. Well, I will take your advice today.
I started off simple. Had micro surgery to realign my patella and repair a torn meniscus.. Do you know what I did to cause that? I knelt down to scrub out my bathtub..lol. Although I had spent the better part of the day moving things out of one apartment in to another. I went down hill fast after that. I do hope you take it easy for your sake and your knee's health.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday afternoon

I hate a bad mood day. It is so, not me. The electrical company power company has been working in the neighborhood clearing trees from the power lines. Much needed here. Today, they finally got to my neighbor across the street. I call her nervous neighbor or walking partner neighbor. She is a widow. She is a religious type who is normally good natured although I sense she isn't all she appears to be. Last walk, last week, she showed the other side. Apparently, when her husband was dying, he said he wished he hadn't drank so much. She did not comfort him instead she agreed that he brought this death on himself. Wow. She has a deep hostility against people who drink alcohol. Now I know a bit about diabetes and she did not help him with her cooking choices. A little bit of sabotage, me thinks. I said nothing. As a caregiver, I know that I must get away now and then to not get sucked into that deep seated hate. She suffered through it, but didn't really.

This is such a quiet neighborhood and we don't like disruption. I doubt the county realized that this company would be spending so much time here. Most communities are new and have no trees. This one has many and big, old ones. Been a lot slower than many might expect.

Hub decided not to walk today because of the tree trucks. He made the right decision. These country roads are not set up for so much traffic.

Janet from here is such a joy. What she does with food is amazing! Her ability to make do. Inspirational.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm Monday afternoon

I hate a bad mood day. It is so, not me. The electrical company power company has been working in the neighborhood clearing trees from the power lines. Much needed here. Today, they finally got to my neighbor across the street. I call her nervous neighbor or walking partner neighbor. She is a widow. She is a religious type who is normally good natured although I sense she isn't all she appears to be. Last walk, last week, she showed the other side. Apparently, when her husband was dying, he said he wished he hadn't drank so much. She did not comfort him instead she agreed that he brought this death on himself. Wow. She has a deep hostility against people who drink alcohol. Now I know a bit about diabetes and she did not help him with her cooking choices. A little bit of sabotage, me thinks. I said nothing. As a caregiver, I know that I must get away now and then to not get sucked into that deep seated hate. She suffered through it, but didn't really.

This is such a quiet neighborhood and we don't like disruption. I doubt the county realized that this company would be spending so much time here. Most communities are new and have no trees. This one has many and big, old ones. Been a lot slower than many might expect.

Hub decided not to walk today because of the tree trucks. He made the right decision. These country roads are not set up for so much traffic.

Janet from here is such a joy. What she does with food is amazing! Her ability to make do. Inspirational.
Dg thank you. I think it is fun and interesting to see what I can come up with.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday am

Another lovely day in Florida. My knee feels better, so I am going walking. Then I will get busy in the yard. There are lots of things to do that don't require heavy lifting. I will avoid that for a few days. I also can do outside painting since the wether is perfect for it. Daytime in the 80's, lower humidity.

So today will be a do something day.

This is no ac weather. Hooray. Great on the budget. But dry, so increased water use. Not good for the electric budget. Today, I need to stop at Winn Dixie and grab a couple more 99c lelluce and some 2/$1 peppers to freeze. I am low on my pint size containers, so I will walk to the Dollar Tree and buy some more. They don't last forever unfortunately. And they are so handy for many storage projects.

Time to get going. More later.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Tuesday-end of day

Interesting day. I got a call from a "Florida hospital". It was actually an endocrinologist office that the PA sent a referral to. They wanted to set up an appointment. I said he never told me and I don't have a written referral. "oh" she said. So I got on the doctor office portal and pointed out that the endocrinologist wanted a complete workup and we didn't have that. And I didn't believe I was hypothyroid and didn't want to try to fix what wasn't broken. My T3 and T4 are low because I am on the keto diet and that lowers the T3 needs. And increasing the T4 would risk increasing the Macular Degeneration. I will not risk blindness. I provided the study to back up the claim. I don't know why the TSH is high, but I am fine and most doctors just want to push a pill and fix the symptom. I have to be my own patient advocate. Thyroid antibodies levels came back normal as well. No indication of inflammation of the thyroid. Later in the day, I contacted the contractor for the ADA compliant kitchen. We discussed the details. I also contacted the kitchen designer. She called me back and said that the dishwasher came in damaged and she ordered another. Everything seems to be progressing according to plan. 2 weeks for cabinet delivery. 3 weeks for work to begin. Also called the handyman to start the shed window install.

I bought 3 cherry tomato plants and they are doing well. I also started several trays of tomatoes and they have sprouted. Hooray. Some of my radishes are up as well. I watered my garden and I am happy.

I used the pole brush to clean leaves out of the gutter and wipe down the front of the house. I used the leaf blower and got a nice pile of leaves which I put into my dishwater disposal bed. I also clean off the back porch a bit. I got out the paint and painted the trellis. Put a second coat on tomorrow and re-coat the poles. I am not hypothyroid. I have lots of healthy energy.

I went to Winn-dixie for the 99c lettuce. They had bleach on sale for 50% off. I bought 2. On sale, it is cheaper than dollar tree. I need to bleach the concrete patios. The humid summers here turn them green. It takes straight bleach to kill the algae and make them nice again. I bought a special push broom to spread the bleach.

I am so glad I listened to Janet and took yesterday off and rested the knee. The knee is so much better. But no ladder climbing for awhile. Being careful.

I asked hubs to make the plane arrangements for the New Year's Eve trip to Houston. He kind of messed it up. He is becoming so short tempered. Well, it is done. I guess I am going to have to start doing it myself because it is just "too much pressure" on him. I hate to take stuff away from him, but maybe he is ok with that. Can't tell. When old dance partner got sick and we had to cancel the trip, I said you owe me a dance and dinner. I selected New Year's Eve and a particular ballroom in Houston. I sense it will be the last. He has a myocardial condition brought on by alcoholism and I don't think he will be able to give the stuff up long term. Let me be wrong.

Hubs is into buying books right now. He bought 2 for our military son to take with him to his next assignment back to Asia. Then he bought one in response to me. I have been thinking about investing again. I let investing go when I got hypothyroidism and couldn't think clearly. The fog has lifted and I can see patterns in the stock market. So I discussed them with hubs who is smart. He was a bit overwhelmed with my ideas, so he decided to buy a book. Well he got it today. When I said we should watch the monetary exchange rate as an indicator of the true global economy, he said it is based on advanced calculus and I said I told you that the financial sector is sucking up the best math kids for a reason.