Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Do you believe the DNA/spit test ancestry products?

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I did the 23 and me test. I had 2 surprises, the amount of Neanderthal DNA, I have had he same maternal ancestor as King Richard the III. About 12,000 years ago. The rest was not at surprising.

Penny
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I think about these sometimes because I know nothing about my father's family. I know 2 of his brother's first names, and 1 sister's first name (the one who took him in when his mother died; his dad had died when he was 3), my middle name is her name. And that's it. He left home in the middle of the 8th grade, never went back, and never finished HS. Joined the Air Force before the Korean War and stayed in nearly 30 years, came out to a new career, retired from that one 15 years before he died. I know his eldest brother is dead (dad was the youngest of 7) because when we were based in Germany the military sent him notification. But that's it. I probably have a ton of cousins in the US (all the others are overseas, my mother isn't American), but I have no idea who they are.

Dad said his family were "a bunch of thieves," so who knows. And I'm pretty much an introvert. Way shy of loner status, but I have my family here and I'm happy, so no need to go digging anything up.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Many in my genealogy club are very much into the DNA research and there are workshops at least once a month. I think it is accurate. I have not wanted to do it so far for whatever reason. I know quite a lot about both sides of my mom’s family and my dad’s mother’s side. But like with Sandi my dad’s father’s side ( directly from France) is a mystery. This grandfather died before I was born and my mom only knew him very briefly. I asked my cousin in RI if he knew anything but he said no. I wasn’t surprised because his own dad (my uncle) died young. I know the city in France, my great-grandfather and great-grandmother’s names but that is it. French genealogy group at my genealogy club really was no help. So for this side, DNA would probably help. (Not sure what you need but I still have a lock of my dad’s hair.)
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Not sure what you would mean by "believe".

The ancestry DNA tests have helped convict several people that had commited murders but their cases had gone cold.

Now the other things about Neanderthrals etc - that might not be believable if you take the Adam and Eve story literally. :?:
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 pm I think about these sometimes because I know nothing about my father's family. I know 2 of his brother's first names, and 1 sister's first name (the one who took him in when his mother died; his dad had died when he was 3), my middle name is her name. And that's it. He left home in the middle of the 8th grade, never went back, and never finished HS. Joined the Air Force before the Korean War and stayed in nearly 30 years, came out to a new career, retired from that one 15 years before he died. I know his eldest brother is dead (dad was the youngest of 7) because when we were based in Germany the military sent him notification. But that's it. I probably have a ton of cousins in the US (all the others are overseas, my mother isn't American), but I have no idea who they are.

Dad said his family were "a bunch of thieves," so who knows. And I'm pretty much an introvert. Way shy of loner status, but I have my family here and I'm happy, so no need to go digging anything up.
I have a whole bunch of hooligans in my family tree. Some died in prison for example.

But i still find that history interesting. Good or bad - thats life.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Much earlier than Neanderthal is Lucy from who we all come. so yes, boys and girls,some where in some tiny piece of DNA we are Ethiopian....

And I'm not sure why one wouldn't "believe" DNA is science. Science that has been proved over and over again. I am one of the science trumps all types..