Is there a product or a recipe that...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

Is there a product or a recipe that...

Post by SandiSAHM »

Repels dog hair from wood furniture / cabinetry?

I don't know if I just never noticed it before, if the product I'm' using now (a scent free oil) is exacerbating the problem, or if this specific dog just has freaky, static-cling hair.

Naturally the cabinets are dark, dark brown and the dog is beige. Next time I'm having all the wood painted to match the dog. Khaki-fawn colored everything!!

The kicker is if it's a commercial product it has to be scent-free, my asthma is trigger by chemical scents among other things.

Help?

Thank you. DS said "Just take your glasses off, Mom, you won't be able to see it." Yeah he's helpful :lol:
ChristmasTrees

Re: Is there a product or a recipe that...

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Sandi~
I just babysat my two grand dogs this week. There is dog hair everywhere!
Let me know if you find something.
Your DS's solution is hysterical!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

i just buy huge packs of those swiffer duster refill things from amazon .
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:06 pm Repels dog hair from wood furniture / cabinetry?

I don't know if I just never noticed it before, if the product I'm' using now (a scent free oil) is exacerbating the problem, or if this specific dog just has freaky, static-cling hair.

Naturally the cabinets are dark, dark brown and the dog is beige. Next time I'm having all the wood painted to match the dog. Khaki-fawn colored everything!!

The kicker is if it's a commercial product it has to be scent-free, my asthma is trigger by chemical scents among other things.

Help?

Thank you. DS said "Just take your glasses off, Mom, you won't be able to see it." Yeah he's helpful :lol:
I like your son! Lol
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Your son's answer reminds me of my late DM's approach to maintaining a car. "Yes, the car makes funny noises sometimes, but I just turn up the radio and I don't hear them anymore."

Anyway ... I wonder, too, if the oil is making things worse. Can you not use it for a bit and see what happens?

An odd thought: dryer sheets are supposed to reduce static. Perhaps rub an unscented sheet on the wood?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

That boy...

He knows I'm vision challenged on the best of days. If I hadn't leaned over (to plug the crock pot in on one side of the island) and tilted my head juuuust right (had to hit the right line on the gradient "focals"), at the precise moment the sun was hitting the window in just the right way, I wouldn't have noticed.

Having noticed, I freaked a little (not in a Joan Crawford way, just grabbed two dust rags and the vacuum cleaner and went after it - we had 15 people over last night, there was NO WAY that was happening with dog hair sticking to the cabinetry). I had to get really close, but there they were, on nearly all the lower cabinets. DD had just "oiled" last week, so there's probably something to the idea that the oil is helping stuff "stick." Out goes the oil.

I read some Endust propoganda on Amazon and may try a can of that (they have a scent-free allergen version). If that doesn't work I'm trying dryer sheets (not sure what those might do to the finish) if I can find a scent-free version.

The last-ditch effort involves shaving the dog. And I'm completely KIDDING, we would never do that. I'd just threaten to every time I'm getting fur off the wood. I wonder if she could be trained to let us vacuum her. ;)