Daily Check In December 3, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In December 3, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 pm hello Friends,

I've been sitting with my feet up, as I had badly swollen ankles Sunday night then somewhat swollen again last night. I did wear compression stockings on Sunday on the way home from OR, but I don't think they were very good.
We drove home from Oregon on Sunday, we left the in-law's house in a near-blizzard which made traveling difficult, though the farther west we went, we got out of the storm after 230 miles. Still took us 15 hours to drive what normally takes us 10 hours.

I think I mentioned a few months ago that my friend was going to do a tree for me in the annual Trees for Charity, she msg'd me last night that it sold for $19,500. :o :o I am still stunned! I guess I figured no one would buy it, or that it would only go for $1000-2000. How do you thank someone for that? I will write a thank-you note, but it seems almost too little.

I am weaving in ends on the dishcloths that I have knitted over the past few weeks, and watching YouTube videos to get ideas on a cute wrapping for them.

I just called one of the nurses at Huntsman, she has agreed to pass out my little packages. I'm giving some of my dishcloths to my medical team at Huntsman.

I tried to log onto my children's school accounts to pay lunch money, but the system is down. I'll have to reset my alarm for tomorrow morning and hope the website works then.

Ds15 went to OR with the flu, poor kid, and never got better. Dh & I took him to Urgent Care yesterday to discover that he has pneumonia, he has quarantined himself in his room, and sleeps.

Thursday is my 2nd chemo treatment which has a couple of prior appointments, then Friday is my appointment with Dr Panucci- hopefully he pulls in Dr Goodwin so we have more of an opportunity to talk with him than only on the day of my surgery. We will go out on Thursday morning-- dh had promised the girls that they could come along as Friday is dd8's 9th birthday, so I have had to go begging among all my family & friends for someone to watch the girls on Thursday; I think I've got it all figured out now though.

I also have blood labs to be drawn tomorrow morning so my chemo Dr knows how high my white blood count is, and if it's good enough for me to get this next chemo treatment.

Not sure on dinner tonight... I'd like to simmer last night's chicken carcass and have chicken soup, but will ask dh as he's teh cook these days.

Today I'm thankful that I can rest before the next lengthy car ride.

Gayle sorry to hear your DS is so ill. Hope and pray he will be better soon. I know it is rough for you having a sick child and then to have to go through another round of chemo..

What a blessing from your friend for the money she received for the Christmas tree that she made for you.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for your next round of chemo. Love from your friend, Janet
Janet Alliesmama
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good evening friends,

Just a very quick check-in. Life's been busy lately! All four Christmas trees have now been assembled and decorated. Yes you read that correctly! Dh and I absolutely love everything about Christmas which is why we got married in December. I am happy to see dh so enthusiastic again as for a couple of years he found it very hard. His dm passed away on Christmas day in 2015. It was hard for us to open gifts on our side of the world while he knew his siblings were planning the funeral on the other side.He did put on a very brave face though! But she lived a very full and rich lift to the age of 97 and at times like this you must let faith take over that she moved on to a better place. We are so grateful we had made the long journey back to visit in the summer of 2015.

Gayle I am so pleased to hear about the Christmas tree fundraising project. It just makes me so grateful to live in Canada where all our medical treatment is provided for free. Whenever you are in a situation where you need treatment, you never have to give a second thought to the cost. All you have to concentrate on are the best treatment options. I can't imagine what this would be like. The cancer treatment for our dniece is costing about $12,000 Canadian/month and I can't imagine that either.

Creative
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Creative

It is awful how some people just cannot afford medical care here in the USA

Just learned that the brother of a classmate has stage 4 cancer. He has no insurance. Is not of Medicare age. So has decided to just let nature take its course. His spouse is looking for other options. Hopeing to find a way to pay for his treatment.

Its crazy!!!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Clem

While we do have to wait for some types of treatment, cancer is not one of them.

The US really needs some type of universal medicare.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm Good evening friends,

Just a very quick check-in. Life's been busy lately! All four Christmas trees have now been assembled and decorated. Yes you read that correctly! Dh and I absolutely love everything about Christmas which is why we got married in December. I am happy to see dh so enthusiastic again as for a couple of years he found it very hard. His dm passed away on Christmas day in 2015. It was hard for us to open gifts on our side of the world while he knew his siblings were planning the funeral on the other side.He did put on a very brave face though! But she lived a very full and rich lift to the age of 97 and at times like this you must let faith take over that she moved on to a better place. We are so grateful we had made the long journey back to visit in the summer of 2015.

Gayle I am so pleased to hear about the Christmas tree fundraising project. It just makes me so grateful to live in Canada where all our medical treatment is provided for free. Whenever you are in a situation where you need treatment, you never have to give a second thought to the cost. All you have to concentrate on are the best treatment options. I can't imagine what this would be like. The cancer treatment for our dniece is costing about $12,000 Canadian/month and I can't imagine that either.

Creative
Creative, your trees sound wonderful! I saw some of your beautiful decor on Instagram. I’m glad that your DH can now feel enthusiastic about Christmas. I understand because my grandfather died on Valentine’s Day and for my mom that day lost its sweetness.

You are lucky to live in Canada and have universal health care. Believe me, when I lost my early retiree company health insurance and before the ACA went into effect, I explored emigrating to Canada. I was too old and didn’t have a needed skill - and of course I would not have moved without my mom. The ACA is a blessing for anyone with a pre-existing condition who previously was denied health insurance (my mom for 7 years) but I know the deductibles and in some cases premiums are high. Still better than no insurance in my opinion when someone gets cancer, stroke, heart disease or another illness that can cost hundreds of thousands of $$$ in the U.S.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:28 pm Gayle, that is wonderful about the tree!

I have been sewing most of the afternoon, creating a big, fun floor pillow out of bits and bobs from my fabric stash for my favorite four year old wild child. The top is pieced -together denim from old jeans with special pockets for toys and a flag motif because the kid it's being made for is 100 percent American boy.

The floor side is tan wide-wale corduroy. Except for the Velcro and thread, everything in the project is recycled. I still need to make the pillow insert and do a tiny bit of hand sewing, but it's almost finished.

I also spent a good 20 minutes in the CVS pharmacy giving them an earful about trying to fill old prescriptions that I no longer need and had already informed them of such. Usually I would not go into my entire medical history in public, but the dude behind me in line was ancient and absolutely reeked of marijuana, so I was pretty sure he would not remember a thing he heard!
Mackie, disheartening to hear about CVS. It sounds like they were filling Rx if there were refills allowed even if you didn’t call them into the pharmacy. Next year my Medicare Part D drug plan has CVS as the “preferred” pharmacy. My regular pharmacy, Publix, is in network but my costs at CVS would be a bit lower. I don’t really want to switch. CVS is not as convenient either. I’ll think about it.

Your floor pillow sounds really cute and a good use of fabric/denim on hand. Those kids are lucky to have you as an “honorary” aunt.