interesting, too late for "us" lol

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

interesting, too late for "us" lol

Post by icfrugal1 »

https://www.lifeandmoney.citi.com/money/managing-money/super-money-saving-tips?cmp=BAC~02~190701~BRANDING~DP3~LAM~VERIZON

I'm thinking that most of us are retired. :roll:

I DO talk about money, not numbers, but ideas, I have had a friend or two think about what I have said and one did tell me that she likes what I have said and that she was trying to follow it.

Great reimforment on what we are on doin.

IC
randamax

Re: interesting, too late for "us" lol

Post by randamax »

These are all great ideas, and while there are many here who are retired, a reminder certainly never hurts!

I liked that the article talked about showing frugal ways to find doing the things you love. The $105.00 a month for the gym is certainly a splurge, but she gets a lot of joy from it and she probably cuts back on other things so that she's able to enjoy it without guilt.

The two friends who share a wine club membership is a great idea! Again, you can enjoy your indulgence for a lot less cost.

Thanks for posting this. I often feel like we're really not sharing ideas anymore. It seems like people get stuck in ruts and are just mindlessly doing the same thing again and again. While a routine is nice and comfy, and Lord knows I do enjoy a bit of routine!, it's really only when you break out of a routine and see things with fresh eyes that you come up with new and creative ideas, different ways of doing things. Sharing those ideas is of benefit to everyone even if you choose not to use the idea. And, while sharing ideas is fantastic!, receiving feedback from others is just as important. If you're sharing but no one responds, you begin to feel like what's the use? No one is interested and all of the wonderful ideas and things that you have to share just seem to be falling on deaf ears. After a while you just learn to keep your thoughts and ideas to yourself and move along to find others who are more interested. KWIM?
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Follow or have followed many of those ideas over the years. Some worked really well, others not so well. But reminders are always a good way of finding an idea that you have let slip away, perhaps you can change it up so it suits your circumstances now.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I joined the Tightwad Gazette Fan Club page to see more information from other frugal people. I also follow Frugal in France. Both sites are on Facebook. Reading the Tightwad Gazette books from cover to cover gave me a start in frugality and I have never looked back. In those days we had debt I was trying to pay off and trying to build some savings so I never spent at all unless I had to. I have loosened the purse strings somewhat over the years but still find myself looking for new ideas.

Bev
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

randamax wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:30 pm These are all great ideas, and while there are many here who are retired, a reminder certainly never hurts!

I liked that the article talked about showing frugal ways to find doing the things you love. The $105.00 a month for the gym is certainly a splurge, but she gets a lot of joy from it and she probably cuts back on other things so that she's able to enjoy it without guilt.

The two friends who share a wine club membership is a great idea! Again, you can enjoy your indulgence for a lot less cost.

Thanks for posting this. I often feel like we're really not sharing ideas anymore. It seems like people get stuck in ruts and are just mindlessly doing the same thing again and again. While a routine is nice and comfy, and Lord knows I do enjoy a bit of routine!, it's really only when you break out of a routine and see things with fresh eyes that you come up with new and creative ideas, different ways of doing things. Sharing those ideas is of benefit to everyone even if you choose not to use the idea. And, while sharing ideas is fantastic!, receiving feedback from others is just as important. If you're sharing but no one responds, you begin to feel like what's the use? No one is interested and all of the wonderful ideas and things that you have to share just seem to be falling on deaf ears. After a while you just learn to keep your thoughts and ideas to yourself and move along to find others who are more interested. KWIM?
I agree with much of what you said. I wrote more of my thoughts but just couldn’t find the right words. You have a lot of good ideas, Randa.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Some of those have worked for me, some have not in my younger days (the cash thing does NOT work for me, no matter what the financial statistics supposedly say)

As someone said, I generally come from the belief that rather giving things up (unless you don't care about them) the smart move is to find ways to do them less, for example I go to the movies at least two Tuesdays a month, but round here Tuesdays at the AMC are five buks all day.

Many of us are retired but somethings are still worth paying attention to.