Narrowing My Focus

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Narrowing My Focus

Post by HappyDaze »

Mercy, with it being the end of a year and beginning of a new one, I am thinking and OVER-thinking so much. One things I am working on is acceptance of the fact that I can NOT do it all, achieve it all, manage it all, make it all perfect, etc.

So - hard as it is - I am NOT trying to do any of those things. I am narrowing my focus to a few VERY specific goals. To keep them specific, instead of saying "be more neat organized", I am saying "stop leaving things in the car" and "stop leaving your earrings everywhere".

Instead of saying "I will have healthier habits" I am saying "I will MOVE for a least 150 minutes a week" and "I will not eat foods that are processed or contain added sugar".

Oh friends - how do you maintain your focus, narrow it down and concentrate on the more specific?

Quilter51

Re: Narrowing My Focus

Post by Quilter51 »

Whew. I m posting alot as well. I have many goas and I simply divide thiem into daily and weekly chuncks. More importantly, I schedule everthing and put it on my calendar. Literally. This includes exercise (sometimes down to the time of day ie am or pm) even meditation and prayer, if its on the schedule at a reptitive time then I will do noit.

Lest you think I am overscheduled my daily schedule includes a half hour on the house, exercise time and meditation time and one other thing. I am not a go all day girl with lists.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Shelia that is my goal for the New Year as well. I can't do everything that two people use to do and I've got to get use to that idea and focus on the things that are important. I now do about 25 extra chores a month that when DH was alive he did them. I have also just gotten around 15 hours a week removed from my bank of time with my dialysis treatments. Treatments are 12, but the time spent driving there and sometimes having to wait until my blood pressure levels out would be at least 15.

I had written earlier in the week on the daily check-in that I was struggling to keep up with things in my household. I have always managed well to get things done in a timely manner and now it just wasn't happening. I took a day and timed everything that I did and that helped me see where I could do a better job.

I have a plan and I'm going to do everything that I can to stop adding to my work. Sometimes instead of hanging up my coat, I will throw it on the couch and it not only depresses me to see it laying there, but it wouldn't take me any longer to hang it up when I walk into the house. It's not like the coat closet is in another country. I am going to stop washing my bed sheets weekly. I don't care which side of my bed I sleep on so I will sleep on one side one week and the other side the next. The bed is clean when I get in it at night, fresh shower and pajamas and it probably wouldn't hurt to sleep on the same side a couple of weeks. I know people that only change their linens once a month. I like a good fresh smell to much to do that. Unless, I have friends over or company comes there is no need to vacuum my formal dining room or living room more than once a month. Nobody ever walks on the floor and I had vacuumed before Mr. B came. I vacuumed this morning and picked up nothing but a little carpet fuzz which isn't dirt. I am going to wash once a week only. After getting my new utility room I was washing twice a week as the machine adjusts the water level to your load of clothes. I don't have a full load at times and would use that feature and it would save me time to just wash when I have full loads of linens or clothes.

Here's wishing everyone a Happy New Year and one that we can all accomplish our goals.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:21 pm

I have a plan and I'm going to do everything that I can to stop adding to my work. Sometimes instead of hanging up my coat, I will throw it on the couch and it not only depresses me to see it laying there, but it wouldn't take me any longer to hang it up when I walk into the house. It's not like the coat closet is in another country. I am going to stop washing my bed sheets weekly. I don't care which side of my bed I sleep on so I will sleep on one side one week and the other side the next. The bed is clean when I get in it at night, fresh shower and pajamas and it probably wouldn't hurt to sleep on the same side a couple of weeks. I know people that only change their linens once a month. I like a good fresh smell to much to do that. Unless, I have friends over or company comes there is no need to vacuum my formal dining room or living room more than once a month. Nobody ever walks on the floor and I had vacuumed before Mr. B came. I vacuumed this morning and picked up nothing but a little carpet fuzz which isn't dirt. I am going to wash once a week only. After getting my new utility room I was washing twice a week as the machine adjusts the water level to your load of clothes. I don't have a full load at times and would use that feature and it would save me time to just wash when I have full loads of linens or clothes.
This past year I had decided to do something similar. I created a household chores list/schedule which I'm sure is small compared to those who have a house. I have cut down my laundry to 2 times a month, except in the winter which I will do 1 time a month (I have to go outside and walk to a laundry room). I mop my bathroom and kitchen floors 2x a month and I damp mop the rest of my hard wood floors once a month. I set dusting 1 room a day during the week, vacuum my rug once a week. My chores are broken down to bathroom, Monday, living room, Tuesday, Kitchen Wednesday, Bedroom Thursday, Friday is laundry and mopping alternate weeks. Saturday and Sunday is just make the bed and clean up the kitchen after meals. I thoroughly wash down my bookcase once a year, polish my wood furniture every 3 months. There is no one who visits me, my apartment is always presentable even if there was. I'm the only one who needs to be happy with it.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

All these thought provoking posts have made me look forward to 2020!

GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 »

clemencia2us wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:51 pm
All these thought provoking posts have made me look forward to 2020!
These are great,I too tend to turn housework into an hour's long ordeal.
There's no one here but me and my 2 furbabies,daily litter patrol is a must but everything else is always presentable and I don't get a lot of guests.