2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:40 am You are doing well. I am glad you caught yourself on those food storage containers.
Me too Jackie - I would have been so MAD at myself if I had made that purchase! Thank you for the encouragement!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sheila great save on not buying the container. Glad you are doing so well and finding it fun. I too like the challenge of not spending and find it fun. I think buying things spontaneously was/is one of my downfalls. I now limit myself to spontaneous buying of food only if I see a good bargain. Keep up the good work.

Your friend, Janet
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:18 am Sheila great save on not buying the container. Glad you are doing so well and finding it fun. I too like the challenge of not spending and find it fun. I think buying things spontaneously was/is one of my downfalls. I now limit myself to spontaneous buying of food only if I see a good bargain. Keep up the good work.

Your friend, Janet
Thank you Janet, I appreciate the encouragement. I have been planning because I promised my mom that we would go shopping at Dollar Tree on Martin Luther King day (Monday). I was thinking it will be "no fun" if I'm not shopping too - so I have my list ready!

I'm going to buy things I normally buy there anyway - a HUGE container of dish soap, bleach, frozen blueberries, tissues, gum (3 packs for $1 - wow!), canned pineapple, and some other food and household items that are ALLOWABLE in this challenge.

Add "shopping with other people" to the list of potential obstacles that will make this challenge - challenging! :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm UPDATE: Arrrrrgggggghhhhh!! So not only did my curling iron die, it took a big lock of my hair with it.

So - to the thrift store and picked one up for $2.99 plus tax (total $3.23), after plugging it in and testing it. The cheapest new one to be found in this town is about $15. We will see how long this second hand one will last me. It did fine this morning.

Then - to work - and my boss, who is a GEM and very supportive or all of us in our personal and professional goals - brought me an old curling iron that she doesn't use anymore (she knows about my challenge and I know about hers - it is good to have support!!).

It's only the second week of January folks - I expect many obstacles to be thrown at me throughout the year - I appreciate being able to come here and report how I handle them as they come. :-)
Oh NO on the loss of a lock!!!!
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I am not being nearly ad avid as you. I only have the goal of buying new as a last resort with my exceptions being g crafts supplies, all.foid and personal.products and a fewither things.

Only.

I repacked christmas and now have no christmas light storage. I.suppose I could use a bin with no top if they were also put in a plastic bag. Lol

You may also want to see if there is a buy nothing group in your area? I just got an overnight bag from mine.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Quilter51 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:31 pm I am not being nearly ad avid as you. I only have the goal of buying new as a last resort with my exceptions being g crafts supplies, all.foid and personal.products and a fewither things.

Only.

I repacked christmas and now have no christmas light storage. I.suppose I could use a bin with no top if they were also put in a plastic bag. Lol

You may also want to see if there is a buy nothing group in your area? I just got an overnight bag from mine.
Thanks for the tip Quilter. So I haven't exchanged Christmas gifts with my daughter and her boyfriend yet - due to scheduling conflicts, weather, etc. I had gotten them each 3 gifts back before Christmas. I took one gift for each of them and put away for their birthdays (his in Feb., hers in May). Another challenge solved.

Charles M. Schultz