Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks

Post by HappyDaze »

My kitchen has double sinks - stainless steel. The sinks themselves are in excellent condition - shiny and new looking and I take good care of them and keep them clean and dry.

My problem is the faucet area. The faucet and base it sits on and surrounding area are all tarnished and have like a layer of hard water or something on them that I can't get off with my Bar Keepers Friend cleanser and a soft toothbrush. It seems whoever lived in my home before didn't keep that area clean and dry.

The faucet, etc. are all in excellent condition, no leaks, etc. and I don't want to replace something that is still structurally sound and fully functional but I hate how unsightly it looks. Anyone know of a product that will work to get that area cleaned up and shining again?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jckitty

Re: Cleaning Stainless Steel Sinks

Post by jckitty »

Hey Sheila.
I have stainless steel sinks and get what I call hard water stuff in that area.
I would start with strong vinegar on a rag and let that soak for a while and see if that loosens it for cleaning. IF that doesn't work well enough for you, I would try Kaboom bathroom cleaner...When it is cleaned to your satisfaction...consider lightly wiping with a rag and olive or mineral oil...it will keep it from coming back so easily. I use some olive oil on my sink to make it shine.
Good Luck,
JKitty
randamax

Post by randamax »

I second the vinegar suggestion. It works like a charm on the base of my kitchen faucet and handles.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Try Lemi Shine!! It's granules for your dishwasher, but I use it to clean my hot water kettle, tub and sinks, and to clean out my drains, because I have HARD water, and soap scum and lime stick like glue. Scum just melts away!

https://www.lemishine.com/products/detergent_booster/

This stuff is AMAZING, and it smells great! I know Walmart has it. It's by the dishwasher soap and rinse aids.
ohjodi
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I scrub with an SOS pad. It might take a bit the first little while, but now after scrubbing, wiping down, and then drying mine are nice and shiny.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Try letting the Bar Keepers stuff sit there for a while - in a paste form.

Or also do the steel pads - forget what they are called. oh SOS pads.