Upcycling clothes.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Upcycling clothes.

Post by Dgflorida »

I have been reading about upcycling clothes. That means making new clothes from old clothes. Some really neat looking clothes according to the photos. Does anyone do it?
Jackielou

Re: Upcycling clothes.

Post by Jackielou »

There are a few of us that do this. We call it refashioning clothes for the most part. I have remade dresses into tops and skirts, taken the sleeves off knitted sweaters and turned them into vests. I have even changed sweatshirts into cardigans.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have done that since high school when I made a skirt out of a pair of jeans when I lost weight. :D

There's a very cute tunic dress in my sewing pile right now that is going to be upcycled into a long shirt with a less floofy lower half. I got it for $1 at the Salvation Army. It's one of those Asian sizes that runs too small in the bust and upper arms for American women, so a fabric transplant is being planned to make it fit correctly. The fabric is insanely adorable -- it has squirrels and acorns on it! -- or I would pass on the amount of trouble it's going to be. But once it's done, I should have a unique, cozy top for years.
Mackie
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I have collected some clothing to do this but not actually done much yet. To date I mainly make non clothing items from old clothes like mens shirts and jeans and sweater pieces. Or accessories like boot cuffs and fingerless gloves.
randamax

Post by randamax »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:16 am I have been reading about upcycling clothes. That means making new clothes from old clothes. Some really neat looking clothes according to the photos. Does anyone do it?
Not me. Not because I wouldn't like to, but I'm not much of a seamstress at all. I can hem, sew on buttons, make small repairs and sew on patches, but beyond that, I'm out. However, I've seen quite a few YouTubers who do this a lot with clothes they've bought from thrift stores. It always amazes me what they come up with! Some of it is really cute, while other things I think are kinda out there, but hey...nothing ventured, nothing gained!