Daily Check-in January 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check-in January 25, 2020

Post by alliesmama4 »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:46 pm Morning all -
Forum is different for me and I love, love love it. Much easier to read - I can see a whole post at a time. I updated to the new operating system on my Mac last night and I thought that caused the change. But whatever it is, it is a big improvement for me.

Tonight we are down to have dinner with our friends. It is a Robert Burns birthday party themed dinner. About the best I can manage for dressing for it is wearing a green top. WE are having Scottish food - hope it is something I can eat. I am not a seafood fan and of course I already said no haggis for me.

Logics - so sorry the drama continues. Janet - is this a new furnace? I remember you talked about replacing one, but can't recall if you did. Message me if you need me. And I do think you should get an emergency credit card. Even with emergency funds in the bank, one might need money the the bank is closed.

Hubs got a light case of food poisoning from the snack bar at the golf place yesterday. He is still asleep. He was sick as a monkey last night.

All my news - have a good day all.
Lynn A Bobbie Burns birthday party sounds like fun.I use to work with a nurse from Scotland. She had me over for dinner one night and we had trout. It was served on a plate with its head and one dead eye looking up at me from my plate. told her she would have to remove the head I just could not eat something that was looking back at me...lol. She did make yummy scones and fruit cake and a lovely cup of tea.

I have a debit card and would keep my emergency funds in my savings account which are easy to transfer by phone. Although I probably should get a credit card in the near future.

Hope your DH is feeling better. Bummer on the food poisoning.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:11 pm Pretty blue theme on the forum. I had to sign in again too.

Logics and Rinty, you deserve all the love in the world for taking care of your family members. Rinty, this spring may be time to retire. It does not sound like work is any fun at all any more. *hugs*

Janet, I hope the furnace is just having a minor hiccup and the weather stays mild. *hugs*

Today I went grocery shopping, which was expensive. *sigh* I failed to order dry cat food from Chewy and had to get it at Food Lion, so it was a bit more pricey even with a sale. And we had to do some restocking as even DH, who is Captain Oblivious about what's in the fridge, asked DS last night when I was going grocery shopping. :-D

I think supper tonight may be a vat of chili, which should make good leftovers for the remaining 200 days of January. (That's not a typo. January always feels about a thousand days long.)
Mackie I had to laugh since your days in January are going up and not down.I actually love January. I love winter.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 pm You know I have been wondering about Gayle, have I missed a post of how she's doing with this last chemo treatment.

Someone else that I thought about that we've not seen in awhile is Aunt Bridget and JustMom. I know that JustMom is doing ok as I check in on her blog from time to time. Clem, you are the one who has the memory of an elephant. Who was the young woman who was building the underground house and paying for it as they went? They lived in either a cabin or trailer while they were doing this.

Janet, may be the Mayor of our little village, but Clem has to be our Memory Guru.
JusMom really is not doing that good. She does not post that much on her blog. Her father is in a nursing home following a stroke and a bit of extra stress since she is his primary go to person for any of his medical problems. Plus she has a multitude of medical problems of her own to deal with.I had an e-mail from her a while back regarding how things were going.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

littlemiss63 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:14 pm You know I have been wondering about Gayle, have I missed a post of how she's doing with this last chemo treatment.

Someone else that I thought about that we've not seen in awhile is Aunt Bridget and JustMom. I know that JustMom is doing ok as I check in on her blog from time to time. Clem, you are the one who has the memory of an elephant. Who was the young woman who was building the underground house and paying for it as they went? They lived in either a cabin or trailer while they were doing this.

Janet, may be the Mayor of our little village, but Clem has to be our Memory Guru.
Gayle is still recuperating from her last round of chemo. She had pictures on her site indicating problems with her finger nails are having problems. I hope she begins to feel better soon. At least she was able to ring the gong after this last round that indicates she is cancer free. She has a long way to go to recuperate.
Janet Alliesmama
frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

Yep, late night.

Same forum software...just upgraded engine. Same theme, with a few style changes--including colors and font sizes. New header. No new ads, no fewer ads. New cookie notification in the footer.

If you have a mix of the old style and new style, then you'll need to hard-refresh your browser cache.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

Update:

Janet thank you so much for the information on JustMom and Gayle.

Clem, Aunt Bridget I believe was from Iowa and I think the gal building the underground house was from somewhere here in Tennessee. Jackie, chime in it you know anything. LOL

I have had a very good day and have two plastic bags of clothes ready to drop off at Goodwill. I feel like I've made a dent in one of my goals for this year.

My rolls turned out fabulous and I have meals ready for the coming week. My house is clean and smells so good. I had stopped burning any type of candle after DH died because I'm so afraid one would cause a fire. I was cleaning out a kitchen drawer today and found a Clean Cotton Wax Melt. I found my little holder and a tea light. Since I was going to be working in the kitchen I knew that I could watch it and be sure nothing happened. The scent was wonderful, I had forgotten had good those things smell. I also cleaned the shelves on my refrigerator and reorganized the freezer side. Eating it down has made that a much easier job.

I have made a decision. I am going to have my handyman bring the refrigerator that is in one of my vacant rental houses to my house and I will replace the one in the rental. The kitchen is getting a new paint job on the walls & ceiling, new counter tops, updating the cabinets by painting them and new flooring in the kitchen. This refrigerator runs good but the gal that was living there put some type of glue for hanging a poster on the front and side and I used a glue remover, but it took the textured covering off as well. I can repaint it, but I don't want that in a rental, but it will work fine in my garage. I can use it for overflow cooking on holidays and for storing pop and water. With the extra freezer space I want need a new freezer.