2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: 2020: My Year for Buy Nothing New!

Post by HappyDaze »

Even though I had the little guy over the weekend and it is insanely hard to be frugal with that child in tow - I still have purchased nothing new and I don't intend to! (Except for greeting cards - from my "allowables" list).

Other things on my allowables list: mailing envelopes, postage stamps, light bulbs, salt for melting ice on the sidewalk and steps (health and safety items...). There are a few more things on that list - can't think of them just now.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

You are doing great on a very hard challenge. Inspirational.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

UPDATE: I am still saying I have stuck with this challenge, even though I "technically" purchased something new - stay with me here...

I left work early yesterday (the "big boss" emailed my immediate supervisor and told him I was sick. He emailed me from HIS sick bed and said "go home") and went to the thrift store to look for some DVD movies to watch over the weekend - they were priced at $3.99 EACH. That was MORE than I was willing to pay for used movies.

Other alternative - Redbox - $1.93 per rental. OTHER alternative: DOLLAR TREE. $1.08 per DVD, including tax. So I bought 8 of them. Watched 2, will watch 2 more over the weekend and will have 4 still to watch.

Then - they can either be put in my mom's yard sale she is having in the spring - OR - I can donate them to the library. Granted, these are not "new" releases by any means - but they keep me entertained - FOR LESS - and if I can re-sell them for say .25 cents each - EVEN LESS.

So - THIS DOESN'T COUNT against my "Buy Nothing New" Challenge - it's an entertainment budget expense - and a MUCH SMARTER purchase than if I had purchased USED DVDs for $3.99 each.

That's my story and I"m sticking to it. :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:08 am You are doing great on a very hard challenge. Inspirational.
Thanks DG - I am very determined.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm UPDATE: I am still saying I have stuck with this challenge, even though I "technically" purchased something new - stay with me here...

I left work early yesterday (the "big boss" emailed my immediate supervisor and told him I was sick. He emailed me from HIS sick bed and said "go home") and went to the thrift store to look for some DVD movies to watch over the weekend - they were priced at $3.99 EACH. That was MORE than I was willing to pay for used movies.

Other alternative - Redbox - $1.93 per rental. OTHER alternative: DOLLAR TREE. $1.08 per DVD, including tax. So I bought 8 of them. Watched 2, will watch 2 more over the weekend and will have 4 still to watch.

Then - they can either be put in my mom's yard sale she is having in the spring - OR - I can donate them to the library. Granted, these are not "new" releases by any means - but they keep me entertained - FOR LESS - and if I can re-sell them for say .25 cents each - EVEN LESS.

So - THIS DOESN'T COUNT against my "Buy Nothing New" Challenge - it's an entertainment budget expense - and a MUCH SMARTER purchase than if I had purchased USED DVDs for $3.99 each.

That's my story and I"m sticking to it. :-)
Sheila sorry to hear you are sick. However you needed something to get through the week-end and if it makes you feel better that is what is important.. Take care. Hope you feel better soon.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Thank you Janet for the well wishes. I am still justifying those DVDs as the cheapest option, may get some resale $$ from them, etc. And yes, they helped me through a long and quite miserable weekend - ugh.

Back to work - and on the mend. I did purchase a roll of packing tape at Dollar Tree today (it's allowed - it's a "consumable") so I could ship cookies to my daughter. Money well spent!

I hope you and Teddi are feeling well my friend.

Charles M. Schultz