How age affects your frugality.....

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: How age affects your frugality.....

Post by HappyDaze »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:57 am Ask your neighbor about sharing the cost. It will save you each $180 per year. That's nothing to sneeze at!
Jodi, I hope to get up the nerve to do so! I only have one bag of trash most weeks - and not a lot of recycling. I'll let you know if I do it!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:58 pm That is a lot to pay for one bag of trash a MONTH??!!

I would keep trekking it to the landfill. If it is only one bag a month - how much can it smell?

We pay that much and have two big rolling cans full each week! I would say ten bags easily - maybe more.
I know - I am kind of beating myself up about this decision - but oh the CONVENIENCE!!! Maybe when spring comes I will cancel or suspend my trash service until winter rolls around again - we'll see.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:24 am I know - I am kind of beating myself up about this decision - but oh the CONVENIENCE!!! Maybe when spring comes I will cancel or suspend my trash service until winter rolls around again - we'll see.
Sheila I was taking my trash to my brothers but since he moved I was going to have to pay about $22.00 a month. I was too shy to ask my neighbors if I could share the cost with them. One day when I was out in my yard my neighbor stopped by to talk. Out of the blue he offered to let me bring my trash to his house and did not want to share expenses.So your neighbor might jump at the chance to share. It does not hurt to ask. I plan on giving them an occasional gift of cash or a gift card to the local store where I know she grocery shops as a thank you.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

While I still pay for garbage and trash pickup, I take my little bag of garbage accross the street to my neighbor's bin. I do this so that the garbage man doesn't have to get out of his truck to haul my garbage can to the truck. Time he saves means a shorter work day for him. A little act of kindness.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am Sheila I was taking my trash to my brothers but since he moved I was going to have to pay about $22.00 a month. I was too shy to ask my neighbors if I could share the cost with them. One day when I was out in my yard my neighbor stopped by to talk. Out of the blue he offered to let me bring my trash to his house and did not want to share expenses.So your neighbor might jump at the chance to share. It does not hurt to ask. I plan on giving them an occasional gift of cash or a gift card to the local store where I know she grocery shops as a thank you.
That was very nice of your neighbor, Janet. They sound like nice folks.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:20 pm That was very nice of your neighbor, Janet. They sound like nice folks.
I am very lucky with the neighbors that live near me.We do not live in each others hip pocket but if something should happen you know you can call them for help. My brother was thrown from his horse quite a few years ago. My brother was in the hospital for a week but that night this neighbor called me to tell me to tell my brother he had fed his horses,cattle, the cats and dogs. He did that until my brother was able to take over again. He and his wife came over and cut their grass too.
Janet Alliesmama