Daily check in February 15, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in February 15, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in February 15, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another lovely, but cool day in Florida. It drizzled all day yesterday, so hubs said just do the steaks in the skillet. We ate the strawberries and had some wine. The skillet braised Brussel sprouts were delicious.

Hubs is on his one week off pain medicine per doctor's orders. He felt pretty good earlier in the week and went to the gym. I was a little worried that it might prove too much and sure enough, yesterday the pain hit him. By the end of the day, he was in the wheelchair. Today, he says he feels better and can hobble in pain. Luckily, he starts back on his medication today. It takes a couple of days to kick in.

Today is the 3rd day in a row starting the day with no knee pain. This is also dance class day, so that may be the end of that pain free period. If I am still ok, I will remove the last of winter storm windows. I will let my knee decide how much more I can do.

The yard guy may show up today or not to finish the lake weeding. He generally isn't a weekend type. Well, we will see. I hope today to get some more leaves picked up and put in the garden. If they are dry that is.

I talked to snowbird neighbor and told her that any tomatoes on her side of the garden dividing our yards were hers to eat. She immediately found a red cherry tomato and ate it. Everything I raise is pesticide free and safe to eat straight from the garden.

Today, I am grateful for a warm cup of coffee to start the day. Have a good day all.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Of course, this our final night spent in a hotel, I slept wonderfully. It sounds as if Hubby is as well :P .

We will have breakfast, pack up and head over to DS's to make sure all went well, give the cat some food and water (in fact move her food and water up so that DS can reach it easily), haul out some more garbage and do whatever else he needs us to do before heading home.

Once home I will get started on those necessary chores (bill paying, banking, laundry, a bit of house cleaning type of thing). I hope to get to the shopping, library and the bill paying today as well as some house cleaning. Tomorrow I will finish everything up, make a list of what I need to bring back with me, and get started with the packing of those items.

I plan on spending much of my time with DS getting him settled and his apartment trip free. He really has a lovely, well set out place, but man does he ever like to keep useless items. So I guess you might say I get to use my declutter fetish for a good purpose right now. Pretty sure, he might get a bit upset with me after awhile, but at one point he actually said that he is kind of seeing the good side of me cleaning and getting rid of things. I actually have a plan in my head on how things are going to go for those four or five days I will be with him.

Hubby has been looking on line at seeds and plants for the garden. I am pretty sure most home gardeners do not use pesticides on their plants rendering them inedible straight from the garden. At least the home gardeners we know. Hoping the weather improves nicely and spring arrives quickly.

My menu plan for this week has gone by the wayside. The same will be said for next week and probably the foreseeable future. Perhaps by March I will be able to get back on track.

Supper tonight is going to be the frozen chili I pulled out for our meal before this excitement began.

Today, seeing our son in his home brings me joy. Knowing that I will be bringing him home in a bit gives me even more joy.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning.

Jackie, it is a blessing that you can be there for your DS to make his recovery easier and then have him at your home later in his recovery. Wonderful that the hospital was able to do the surgery immediately.

Creative, I’m not much of a cook and not a vegan but I looked at the recipe site you posted and it is wonderful. I like the videos that show how to prepare the meals which all sound so tasty as well as healthy.

Today is the ladies “sweet treats” get together in my neighborhood. I’ll make chocolate chip cookies.

Yesterday I got a good report from my eye doctor. I’m always nervous. I like my new doctor who is young and has excellent credentials including a fellowship from the top eye institute in Florida in Miami. The assistant gave me some samples of non-preservatives liquid tears to help with my eye irritation from taking so many Rx drops. I have bought some of the preservative free drops which are expensive so nice to get the samples.

Did my taxes and I owe an extra $600 even though I get the extra deduction for age 65 this year. What can you do. It is hard to judge the amount of dividends and capital gains that are spit out by mutual funds not in retirement accounts.

Finally got my skating ticket in the mail from the Bell Centre in Montreal. They were very slow.

I bought a small 6” sparkly Christmas tree at a rummage sale for .25 a few weeks ago. When I got home I realized it would light up but the battery was dead. Ordered 2 of the flat batteries from Amazon for $2 and it works and I love it. Doesn’t take much to impress me.

Have a good day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:38 am Good morning.

Jackie, it is a blessing that you can be there for your DS to make his recovery easier and then have him at your home later in his recovery. Wonderful that the hospital was able to do the surgery immediately.

Creative, I’m not much of a cook and not a vegan but I looked at the recipe site you posted and it is wonderful. I like the videos that show how to prepare the meals which all sound so tasty as well as healthy.

Today is the ladies “sweet treats” get together in my neighborhood. I’ll make chocolate chip cookies.

Yesterday I got a good report from my eye doctor. I’m always nervous. I like my new doctor who is young and has excellent credentials including a fellowship from the top eye institute in Florida in Miami. The assistant gave me some samples of non-preservatives liquid tears to help with my eye irritation from taking so many Rx drops. I have bought some of the preservative free drops which are expensive so nice to get the samples.

Did my taxes and I owe an extra $600 even though I get the extra deduction for age 65 this year. What can you do. It is hard to judge the amount of dividends and capital gains that are spit out by mutual funds not in retirement accounts.

Finally got my skating ticket in the mail from the Bell Centre in Montreal. They were very slow.

I bought a small 6” sparkly Christmas tree at a rummage sale for .25 a few weeks ago. When I got home I realized it would light up but the battery was dead. Ordered 2 of the flat batteries from Amazon for $2 and it works and I love it. Doesn’t take much to impress me.

Have a good day.
One really great thing about our health care system is that emergencies are always looked after immediately. Same with cancer.

You might have to wait for elective surgery, but it usually isn't as long as what I have had to wait. A friends Dad needs back surgery (again) and he will be in for his operation within a couple of months. It all depends on emergencies, and how many times the doctor can have the operating room schedule him in.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 am One really great thing about our health care system is that emergencies are always looked after immediately. Same with cancer.

You might have to wait for elective surgery, but it usually isn't as long as what I have had to wait. A friends Dad needs back surgery (again) and he will be in for his operation within a couple of months. It all depends on emergencies, and how many times the doctor can have the operating room schedule him in.
Yes, that is great about the immediate emergency care.

I must admit that hearing about your DS’s fall and also mom’s neighbor who tore an ankle tendon (or something) and is now in a boot cast has made me rethink taking the airport bus in Montreal. I’d still have to walk several blocks to the hotel and sidewalks might be icy. Taxi or Uber may be worth the extra cost.