DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Today is cool, so I am not sure what I will do outside. I still have a steak left. I may try to cook it outside on the grill. I like to start the fire-it with yard wood and then add a few charcoal pieces to even out the heat. See if the wood is dry enough.

When I was talking to snowbird neighbor yesterday, I asked her if I could trim the bush/tree on the edge of our property. I know that she doesn't want it as a tree, but she is not around most of the year to keep it under control. She said fine and was actually grateful. It is a trash tree and should be discouraged.

Taking down the last 2 winter storm windows is on my list this weekend. I have decided to just take one dance class instead of 2. I hate going that far for just one hour, but that second class has too many lady spins and I am afraid it will twist and hurt my knee at this time.

Leaves and more leaves. Just keep sweeping them up.

I tried to warn my little town on FB about an incident at the drive through at the credit union. As I was waiting for my withdrawal while sitting in my car, a man came up behind my car and stood there. I became afraid. When I asked him out of my rolled down window why he was standing behind my car, he said because he wanted to. So I called the teller and said I was coming into the building. A person is very vulnerable when sitting in a car that is in park. Park unlocks all the doors. I felt at risk of being carjacked. I didn't want to give the actual location of the credit union because someone said I could get sued for reputation damages since nothing actually happened. I told them to be aware any time they were in a drive through, but especially at banks. Some people understood that, but some were angry with me. Several accused me of lying. Why would I lie about something like that? Well, if it increases awareness and saves one person from a carjacking, it will have served its purpose.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday-am

I am looking forward to today. The weather should be about perfect. Warm, but not too humid. Hopefully, just a light breeze. I would like to sweep up leaves which scatter if there is a wind. First thing today will be breakfast. Then to the gym and grocery store. Then home and ready to start the work/play day.

House temperature is in the mid 70's, so no heat or ac. Frugal savings. Should be an open window day.

I am not happy with my brush cherry. It looks ok, but it is not producing fruit. I will have to think about moving it. I am glad to have the magnolia cut down. It was not healthy. It just never did well. Now to make it suitable for the yard trash truck on Thursday.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 am Saturday am

Today is cool, so I am not sure what I will do outside. I still have a steak left. I may try to cook it outside on the grill. I like to start the fire-it with yard wood and then add a few charcoal pieces to even out the heat. See if the wood is dry enough.

When I was talking to snowbird neighbor yesterday, I asked her if I could trim the bush/tree on the edge of our property. I know that she doesn't want it as a tree, but she is not around most of the year to keep it under control. She said fine and was actually grateful. It is a trash tree and should be discouraged.

Taking down the last 2 winter storm windows is on my list this weekend. I have decided to just take one dance class instead of 2. I hate going that far for just one hour, but that second class has too many lady spins and I am afraid it will twist and hurt my knee at this time.

Leaves and more leaves. Just keep sweeping them up.

I tried to warn my little town on FB about an incident at the drive through at the credit union. As I was waiting for my withdrawal while sitting in my car, a man came up behind my car and stood there. I became afraid. When I asked him out of my rolled down window why he was standing behind my car, he said because he wanted to. So I called the teller and said I was coming into the building. A person is very vulnerable when sitting in a car that is in park. Park unlocks all the doors. I felt at risk of being carjacked. I didn't want to give the actual location of the credit union because someone said I could get sued for reputation damages since nothing actually happened. I told them to be aware any time they were in a drive through, but especially at banks. Some people understood that, but some were angry with me. Several accused me of lying. Why would I lie about something like that? Well, if it increases awareness and saves one person from a carjacking, it will have served its purpose.
Dg that is scary. Our banks and other drive ups in our area have signs that they are not to be used by foot traffic.. I wonder what was going on with him? There are so many car jacking's in the St, Louis MO area is it scary. People are being accosted in parking lots at the shopping centers and if the car is being warmed up in the winter they are stealing the cars a few times with small children in them. Sometimes the parent has dashed back in to the house to get something that they forgot and the kids are in the car. Some people are just driving up to their homes or getting in or out of their car and someone will walk up to them with a gun and tell them give me your keys or get out etc. They said there are groups of people who are driving through neighborhoods and looking for cars that are being heated and they will jump in them and drive them away. It is scary times and you cannot be too careful.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:24 am
The very first thing I do when I put the car in park is hit the 'lock' so I'm parked in a locked car. Then when I get out my door the other 3 doors stay locked. Safer at gas stations as well as drive-throughs. Been doing it since they started that auto-unlock nonsense, have trained DD to do the same.

DH is hard of learning ;)
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree with you Sandi. The auto lock and Auto Unlock is not always a good thing. I never thought of hitting the lock button. Good idea. You are right Janet. I have been guilty of running back inside and leaving the car running. Need to stop doing that.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Monday am

I am tired. Really tired. I worked in the yard pretty much non stop yesterday. I swept up gallons of leaves. Took the sweeper container off and carried it to the garden. Deposited the leaves by turning the container upside down and shaking. Then repeated it again and again. I also got out the leaf blower and pushed the leaves into an easier to get to place for the sweeper. Then I went out in the back yard and began building my new compost bin. A huge one. Then I fed hubs and I went to bed. Too tired to actually fix myself anything. I had the last cube of cheese. I had planned to rest and then get up, but I never got up and I was never hungry.

This morning, I will have an hour of just sitting in the car and easy walking to get the package at the post office and pick up some groceries. I didn't go to the gym yesterday, but I did get a full body workout and the yard looks better. I won't go to the gym today either. More yard work.

I have to get after the dishes today. Didn't do them yesterday. Me bad. Tonight, we will have leftover beef and braised Brussel sprouts. At least, that is the plan.

The flowers didn't mind the leaves on top of them, but the tomatoes were not happy. I sure wish they would get busy making fruit. The layer of leaves means less watering. In fact, they all look good. Hubs green onions are up.

Being out in the sun/shade most of the day, I have a bit of a "glow" I don't actually burn thanks to Native American blood. A lot of people use sun protection, but it makes my skin unhappy and fortunately, I don't need it. Under extreme conditions such as a multi day canoe trip, I will. I am not that much of a fool.

I expect to hear from old dance partner today or tomorrow. He should get his heart monitor test results.

Neighbor walking by said that she is going to start fertilizing her trees like I do the big one in front. It is magnificent and very healthy. I put a couple of drops of liquid fertilizer in the gallon of water that drips from a leaky faucet. The plumber said that he really didn't want to try and fix the faucet because the pipes were so old. He was afraid they would break and encouraged me to live with the drip. So I put it to a good use. It is a wonderful oak tree. It gives us so much shade on the east. The morning sun is so hot in Florida. In summer, the clouds grow during the day before it rains in the afternoon, so shade in the afternoons aren't as necessary as in the morning.

This is the week of leaves. By next week, the pollen starts. Thick, yellow, stick to everything pollen. Then lovely little green leaves heralding true spring. Nature is wonderful.