Frugal Curiousity

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Re: Frugal Curiousity

Post by HappyDaze »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:24 pm 1-- I do not wear a watch, I used to, but stopped after I got a dependable phone--I found that I kept catching my watch-face on so many things and it was annoying to me.

2--I'm reading a fiction book called House of Stone & Ivy by Anita Stansfield. Next I'm restarting the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box.

3-_ Free things-- yesterday 2 ladies in my Knitting/Spinning group gave me things, a ribbed knitted hat, and a lovely warm crocheted cowl.

4-- Last things I gave away--several huge bags of children's clothes a couple of weeks ago.
I rearranged my closet last night, and sorted out 2-3 shirts, 1 pair of NB shoes, and 2 pairs of jeans to add to my giveaway clothing bags.

5-- I LOVE knitting, sewing & wool-spinning. I am knitting a temperature blanket this year and all the yarn for it came from my stash, which has turned out to be much less than I'd previously thought. Sewing: I'm sewing with fabric from my stash, though I do allow myself to buy thread & elastic, but I have everything else I need--I need to complete older boys' quilt tops (and get them to help me tie them), and also make more pjs for girls. Wool-spinning: well I actually have Plenty to work with, especially now that I have my wool back from the processing mill; I don't know that spinning my own yarn is currently frugal (other than Dh making me several drop spindles using wood he already had), but I think that it could prove to be frugal in the future... I mainly do it for my own enjoyment as it is very relaxing to me.
I enjoy reading, occasionally make jewelry (mainly earrings), crocheting, and gardening--won't be doing that this year though. :(
Gayle, you have crafting talents that I don't possess! What is a temperature blanket?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Dgflorida wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:57 am Another great post Happydaze.

I don't wear a watch. No need too. I am retired and most of my days are unstructured. The sun tells me get up and when it goes down, it tells me to come inside, eat and go to bed.

Reading? I read a lot of articles on recycling household items and on ways to improve energy efficiency. Currently, I am reading Supercycles by Montianey. It is a book on macro economics. non fiction.

Free? A selection of cards from a charity solicitation.

I gave away cat food to a less fortunate neighbor who feeds a lot of cats.

My hobby is gardening and it either produces food or visual pleasure and healthy exercise. All frugal. My other hobby is dance and it produces exercise and mental discipline. Frugal and necessary.
Fascinating! It was so nice of you to share that cat food.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:54 pm Gayle, you have crafting talents that I don't possess! What is a temperature blanket?
A temperature blanket: you pick colors for the daily temps (during winter I use the realfeel temp between 6:30-7:30am, then as temps get warmer, I’ll use the daytime high-probably at5pm). I do 10 degree increments, with a rainbow of colors, starting at -10° going up to 100°. Below -10 is tan (won't see it again until December), and above 100 is peach-maybe see it 3-8 times in late July to early August.
Some people pick a pattern for each day, I don't. I simply knit or purl one row per day.

I think that Jackie has pictures on her blog of her Temperature blanket that she made in 2019.

If you want to see the beginning of mine, and you're on Facebook, send me a PM here. We can share Fb info.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Fun post!

1. Yes, I wear a watch. I own four. And they are all traditional time faces-- not smartwatch. I like having different bands to go with different clothes. I also just love watches.

2. Reading a fiction book based on a real event. The main character took part in the Tianamen Square Protest.

3. The office staff at my work brought donuts and cookies this past week.

4. An old desk lamp. The style looked dated and we just weren't using it.

5. Cooking. Saves me lots of money from going out to eat!

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:57 am Just curious about some things that others do/don't do - I probably have too much time to think.

1. Do you wear a watch? In this world of phones that tell time, just wondering if anyone still wears a watch?

I do but not every day. It's a large faced gold tone watch that I paid $5 for a Walmart a few years ago.

2. What are you reading? Is it fiction, non fiction, related to frugal living?

My book club is supposed to be reading any book by Toni Morrison. I tried several and I just can NOT get into any of them. So I got a children's book that she wrote from the library called Please Louise - and I will share about that at book club.

3. What is the last thing you got for free - whether you curb-shopped it or someone gave it to you, etc.?

I get freebies all the time - mostly samples of products in the mail. I did curb shop a nice t.v. stand a couple months ago and my parents brought me a container of orange juice when I was sick.

4. What is the last thing you gave away?

I left some coupons on shelves at the grocery store - next to the products they were for.

5. What hobby or hobby do you enjoy and how does it fit into your frugal lifestyle?

I knit - but I only buy 1 skein of yarn a year. I also do a little crafting but I use items that are free or thrifted.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

Just wanted to say I own a Skagen watch too. For me it is fancy. I looooove it.
MackerelCat wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:15 pm 1. Do you wear a watch? If I leave the house I do. I feel lost without one on! I have two: a Timex Indiglo with a large face bought at a drugstore about 17 years ago. I have replaced the leather band on it numerous times as they wear out. My dress watch is is a Skagen with a silver and rose gold metal band that goes with everything. It was about $70 on sale five or six years ago,

2. What are you reading? I just finished reading the nonfiction "City of Falling Angels" by John Berendt about a suspicious fire at a famous opera house in Venice, Italy, and a wonderful novel titled "Above the Falls" by Ron Rash about the complex life in a small Southern town.

3. What is the last thing you got for free? Two boxes of Christmas cards that did not sell at the grocery store. The front end manager handed them out to customers at the door.

4. What was the last thing you gave away? A bag of shoes to the Salvation Army.

5. What hobby do you enjoy and how does it fit into your frugal lifestyle? I love to read, crochet, sew and cook, and they all fit into a frugal life style. I never could understand hobbies that did not have a real purpose, aside from rock collecting when I was a kid and even that was learning about science.