Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by floridacatlover »

I’m beginning to wonder a bit about the upcoming World Figure Skating Championships I’ll be attending in Montreal. An official with the International Skating Union was asked if there were discussions on postponing it and he said “not at this time.” It is about 2 1/2 weeks away.

Already one of the men’s skaters from China is out. He competed in South Korea about 10 days ago and has since been quarantined. The other prominent Chinese skaters are still on the entry list. The South Korean skater I like trains in Toronto so he is fine.

Whatever happens, happens. I hope, however, that the world doesn’t panic. Next year’s competition will be held in Stockholm.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Not in any paranoid state, but............I could see needed to stay in this house and be quarantined for up to two weeks or a similar scenario in the long run especially since I dont believe either the administration or the CDC have gotten on this the way they should (not a political statement, just an observation in comparison to how other countries are reacting).

I am not a prepper as such, I have a freezer full of loss leaders from meat to froen veggies and generally consider it good along with some wat as I live in neither a hurricane nor a blizzard nor a earthquake zone. so I have started adding canned goods like tuna and fruit and veggies that canbe substituted for produce, as well as breakfast stubstitutes like cereal bars and non fridge required juices.

Havingsaid all that, I have not stoped myb ehaviors at all, today was a church, tmorrow at hapy hour and so on.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Quilter51 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:56 pm Not in any paranoid state, but............I could see needed to stay in this house and be quarantined for up to two weeks or a similar scenario in the long run especially since I dont believe either the administration or the CDC have gotten on this the way they should (not a political statement, just an observation in comparison to how other countries are reacting).

I am not a prepper as such, I have a freezer full of loss leaders from meat to froen veggies and generally consider it good along with some wat as I live in neither a hurricane nor a blizzard nor a earthquake zone. so I have started adding canned goods like tuna and fruit and veggies that canbe substituted for produce, as well as breakfast stubstitutes like cereal bars and non fridge required juices.

Having said all that, I have not stoped myb ehaviors at all, today was a church, tmorrow at hapy hour and so on.
I've thought about this, too.....

Even without a town-wide quarantine, I might not want to go out so often for groceries and such if there is a situation where they've closed the schools for a couple of weeks, asking parents to keep their kids at home. If they don't want kids around people, maybe I shouldn't be around people, either, lol

Right now I probably have at least 2-3 weeks worth of food at home, aside from bread, eggs, butter, and fresh produce. I think starting with next month's budget I'll stock up a bit more. I know I should get some fresh flour.....I rarely bake, anymore, but I don't have freezer space for loaves of bread......and if there is a self-quarantine, bread is among the first to sell out in the stores. Eggs keep for a few weeks after the expiration, so it shouldn't be hard to keep ahead with that.

When a quarantine is lifted, everyone will head back to the stores and buy up what's there, so I shouldn't count on restocking right away.

Remember non-foods, too Toilet paper. That will be #1 on my list, lol Dish and Laundry stuff, etc.

I have a quart of real, local maple syrup in the fridge, so I'll happy as a fat bear with honey if I'm locked down, lol

Honey.....I'm almost out of honey.....LOL
ohjodi
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I am concerned that large sporting events may be compromised by this situation. That would be sad. However, I don't see a large personal risk. Hubs is upset and wants me to restock our non perishables. This normally is my drawdown pre-hurricane season. So I will get additional canned goods. He also wants the cars gassed up. Ok. I will not be traveling until April, so this will either have died down or exploded. I wonder how this will affect political rallies. Interesting times.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

The mayor of San Antonio just declared a public health emergency

One of the patients was released on Friday - went out to her hotel and then a mall. They had to bring her back because a third test was positive

They closed the mall and are disinfecting it!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

clemencia2us wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:00 pm The mayor of San Antonio just declared a public health emergency

One of the patients was released on Friday - went out to her hotel and then a mall. They had to bring her back because a third test was positive

They closed the mall and are disinfecting it!
Oh wow!!
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/