DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
BevMoore

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by BevMoore »

From what I have heard bidets are suddenly high demand so now they cannot be found.

Bev
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Yes Bev, suddenly bidet are all the rage in the US. This toilet paper craze is pushing it. The US is in bizarre land. Since I use washable girlie wipes, we use very little toilet paper. I am sure my septic tank thanks me.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday-am

I am cooking breakfast outside on the porch every morning now to reduce the daily increase in house temperature. The house didn't cool down much last night in part because it didn't cool down much outside. The temperature delta thing. There is a cool breeze outside, but it takes a lot of cool to reduce the house mass. They say the night time temperatures are going to be in the 60's again starting tonight. We will see.

Now breakfast is finished and shortly, I will be off on the "hunt" for groceries. I am not looking forward to it. Because every local government has slightly different rules, I am not sure what they will be here. I know that Home Depot has radically reduced their hours. And each grocery stores has different start/stop hours. All reduced.

They have already picked up my leaves, so that is great. Leaf day ahead. Tonight will be left over beans and chicken. I am not sure there is enough for two, so I have a ground beef patty set aside. We will see on that one. I will get out ground beef for stir-fry tomorrow night. Finish up the fresh broccoli and a fresh onion and several turnips in the stir-fry. I really need to pick some pigeon peas. May add some green ones to the stir-fry. So Friday is covered.

Saturday, I will get out my last whole turkey to begin thawing. It will take 4 days in the refrigerator. Then I will cut it into roasts on Wednesday and have one for dinner that night. It is supposed to cool down just a little. I like turkey especially when it was free with a gift card. Dinner on Saturday will probably be Mexican or ground beef burgers. If Mexican, I have to get out my lonely pint of frozen beans. If burgers, then pickles. Sunday will be whatever it wasn't the night before. Monday??? See what hubs wants.

We had fish last night. I will not buy anymore so called pollack from Aldi's. I don't like it. But we completed the fish days and I won't have fish again for several weeks.

Of course, today I will have to water again all over. Also do some planting. I planted a volunteer that should have been moonflower. Moonflowers and morning glories look very similar early on. We will see in a few weeks. I had a zebra swallowtail visit to my nectar plants, so I looked up its host plant. It is pawpaw. Theoretically, I can grow one here. I really think they are beautiful butterflies and I want them to visit more often.

Well, I am well suited for at least a week of isolation with my leaves and gardening soil and concrete blocks. I hope the landscape timbers go on sale soon. But if not, I am ok. I have seeds to start, but I am so busy finding volunteer flowers in the yard, my plant nursery is full. Life sure is good.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thursday-thought for the day

It appears that the panic is subsiding. Walmart market was almost empty. I got everything I had to have, but they were out of eggs still. I walked across the street to Walgreens, but they were out too. Well, this gives me the excuse for not walking with my neighbor tomorrow. I couldn't find everything and need to go shopping again. She doesn't walk on weekends, so I have some space. Whew. I will skip eggs until I can get more. Hubs needs eggs more than me.

Panic can only last so long. The natural "fight or flight" adrenalin only pumps so long and then it is depleted. It looks like here, it is depleted. Even the stock market is less excited. This new reality is settling in as normal for more and this will last for months and more will accept it as normal. The economy will struggle and that will be difficult, but I am pro business and I think business will come roaring back. Even a neighbor walking by last night said she trusted business more than government to solve this problem.

I think we are nearing the time to invest in the stock market. It is begging to just bounce around. I will start a discussion with hubs on this matter, probably this weekend. He can invest online, so we can do it without help.

I guess I am not as upset as some with this forced lifestyle change. It isn't that big a change for me and I have noticed it has toned down some of the snotty elitists. I hated their arrogance. No one cares anymore what the privileged actors and sports stars are saying. Now the really important people, first responder, nurses, truckers are getting the admiration they deserve. I hope this change of values remain after the virus goes away.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

I am tired from working until sunset. Today, I will make more beans from dry beans. I am using the juice left from the last pot of beans. Hubs ate the last of them last night. So glad I bought the 5 pound bag a couple of months ago. It is sure getting used up. Hubs thought it was excessive at the time. It was on sale. I still have a couple of cups of other beans, black and kidney. But so far, so good. No beans in the stores right now.

I am making a second pot of coffee. I need the push. I will probably have a slower day today. It seems to be the norm. Hard work one day, easy day the next. We will see what the body says. Temperatures pushing 90 today. That is harder on me as well. Staying hydrated and I taking salt tablets as instructed by my doctor if I am out in the heat. Most people don't need salt tablets, but I do not retain salt very well and I need the infusion. I definitely sweat out salt. I will probably work on my little plants today. Maybe plant some seeds. I also need to avoid the bright sun since I am pink again. Grrrr.

The dust has me a little drippy. And once again, everything inside is covered with dust. I also got pink again yesterday from the sun. So I had to "shelter" until the sun dropped into the tree line.

Well, all my trashcans are basically full for next Thursday's pickup. So I will need to find somewhere else for the leaves. Or work on something else. Lots of choices. I love my retired life.

With the waste no juice, "Janet" beans, we will do Mexican beef and beans tonight. I have to make dinner inside on the stovetop because my little single burner can't really do the big skillet well. I needed to use up my fresh onions and the Mexican will use one and stir fry tomorrow will use the other. Then I will need to buy onions.

I have decided to get the turkey out today and put in the refrigerator. I need it to be totally thawed to cut it up and I want to do that Tuesday or Wednesday am. Crockpot turkey on Wednesday when it is expected to cool down a bit. Crockpot cooking will be outside because it will still be very warm. Also, make another pot of solar tea for hubs. Sure glad I got 2 more boxes of tea bags.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday-thought for the day

Hubs thinks there will be one more down stock market day when the huge unemployment numbers hit the market in a week or so. I am going to buy index funds which are a nice long term hold. I don't know which ones yet. Study on that this weekend.

I am back to thinking about how to keep cool this summer. I had been studying on it and I need to get back to where I was on the research. I have been distracted by all the new rules coming down from government. What I can do and when I can do it. There is a fear that once these rules are imposed, they will stay. I don't think so. We have gone through a lot of rules during WW2 and we came out and valued the freedoms even more. Think it will be the same here.