What canned meat?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: What canned meat?

Post by MackerelCat »

I have canned salmon, tuna, and a big can of chicken specifically for making a chicken casserole.

For canned veggies, we have green beans, chili beans, baked beans, chick peas, English peas, tomatoes, tomato sauce and pasta. Also canned peaches, pineapple, pumpkin and applesauce. And mushrooms, olives, pickles and pickled peppers.
Mackie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I buy the tiny StarKist Charlie's Snack Kit, mix your own Tuna salad.

I buy the Chunk light in Water, as I prefer chunk light to the Albacore.

It is just one serving. I am only feeding a family of one. Everything you need for the salad is in the package along with crackers to put it on. I often make a sandwich and use the crackers with soup.

Most canned foods are too high in sodium for me. I do normally buy the no salt added diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. I also normally buy no salt added beets.

I prefer frozen or fresh vegetables. I did buy several vegetable soups.

Penny
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:11 am I like frozen fresh veggies but ones without the added sauces & flavorings—mainly for our food allergies.

For canned veggies, I typically only buy tomatoes (diced, sauce & paste), sweet yellow kernel corn & green beans. I do buy Bush’s baked beans sometimes as they are Gluten Free.

For canned meats, I buy tuna in water only—occasionally Vienna sausages as a treat for my children, but none of the others. Dmil has given us canned salmon which I’ve used like tuna, and we have some cans of spam gifted to us by our neighbor.
I have been freezing some of my vegetables that I had an excess of and hope they will freeze well. I do want to freeze slices of zucchini-do you think they will freeze well? Also, you probably know this, but just in case, there is some lining (BPH or BPA?) on canned tomatoes that are poisonous like it is a carcinogen so they do have the BPA free cans. I use tomato cans all the time along with fresh tomatoes together for lots of my cooking. Oh and I love Bush's Baked Beans. Those weenie ones-pork and beans do not taste good to me like the hot dog part-I rather slice up my own and stirfry it and then add to the beans. I usually do this when I do not have enough hot dogs left like maybe two to three left so I slice it and mix it with beans and serve it on buns or toast. I also use sliced hot dogs for my spaghetti and meat sauce-kids love that one. Never tried Vienna sausages-do you eat that plain? Or like those small Hillshire tiny weiners in a crockpot-yum-I haven't had that for awhile (maybe ate it three times in a lifetime at parties or potlucks-I don't know what kind of sauce they put in it-barbeque maybe or the grape jelly/chili sauce like meatballs?), I think I am getting hungry typing all this (lunch is cooking right now-turnips-like I like turnips but those winners sound much more likely to hit the spot right now-lol!).
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 am Canned soups have gotten awful in the last several years, even Progresso. I do buy it, though, but I add other things to it, like canned tomatoes, diced ham, leftover vegetables, some water, vinegar, etc....so much that I wonder why I started with a can of soup in the first place, lol

I like Chili Man chili, but I add tomatoes and onions, vinegar, and some water.

I like pouch albacore tuna, and salmon. I always have Spam but rarely eat it. I like Aldi's corned beef hash. But any brand of it is so fatty and salty, that I use it more as a condiment.....brown about 1/4 cup in a pan and mix it with potatoes.

Speaking of potatoes.....I like to take canned, sliced potatoes, spread them on a baking sheet (sprayed with Pam), and put them in the toaster oven until they get kind of dried out and rubbery, LOL I discovered this by accident. Gives them a nice chew.

Canned tomatoes, beans, corn, green beans, potatoes, and pork and beans are about the only canned vegetables I buy. I used to buy baked beans, and maybe it's my imagination, but they have gotten so sugary that I'd rinse half of them off and add water, sometimes mustard and a bit of balsalmic or apple cider vinegar before heating. Sometimes I add ham or beef. It's just easier to dress up pork and beans like baked beans, than to rinse baked beans off, and a lot cheaper.

Frozen vegetables I like mostly the plain assorted kinds,without sauces.

Our Kroger closed over a year ago, and I used to buy their frozen bags of "fiesta" vegetables, and ate them ALL THE TIME. I made soups, ate them plain, etc. etc. I kept an empty bag for ages, intending to make my own blend. Broccoli, carrots, kidney beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, italian green beans, red peppers.

I loved them so much, I have to show you a picture:

https://www.kroger.com/product/images/xlarge/front/0001111089783
THAT actually looks good! I have not seen that combination-more like corn and beans and bell pepper,but I like the snap peas and broccoli and carrots also! Wish they had that here. It seems more complete and you can eat it as is even, I like your recipes for the chili add one and beans-I am going to have to try that. I agree with you on the soup-I add this and that and think why did I even get a can of soup.

How have you been OhJodi-missed you too!? I couldn't name everybody in my first thread back but I think of you often too and missed all of you!
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

ohjodi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:03 am Canned soups have gotten awful in the last several years, even Progresso. I do buy it, though, but I add other things to it, like canned tomatoes, diced ham, leftover vegetables, some water, vinegar, etc....so much that I wonder why I started with a can of soup in the first place, lol

I like Chili Man chili, but I add tomatoes and onions, vinegar, and some water.

I like pouch albacore tuna, and salmon. I always have Spam but rarely eat it. I like Aldi's corned beef hash. But any brand of it is so fatty and salty, that I use it more as a condiment.....brown about 1/4 cup in a pan and mix it with potatoes.

Speaking of potatoes.....I like to take canned, sliced potatoes, spread them on a baking sheet (sprayed with Pam), and put them in the toaster oven until they get kind of dried out and rubbery, LOL I discovered this by accident. Gives them a nice chew.

Canned tomatoes, beans, corn, green beans, potatoes, and pork and beans are about the only canned vegetables I buy. I used to buy baked beans, and maybe it's my imagination, but they have gotten so sugary that I'd rinse half of them off and add water, sometimes mustard and a bit of balsalmic or apple cider vinegar before heating. Sometimes I add ham or beef. It's just easier to dress up pork and beans like baked beans, than to rinse baked beans off, and a lot cheaper.

Frozen vegetables I like mostly the plain assorted kinds,without sauces.

Our Kroger closed over a year ago, and I used to buy their frozen bags of "fiesta" vegetables, and ate them ALL THE TIME. I made soups, ate them plain, etc. etc. I kept an empty bag for ages, intending to make my own blend. Broccoli, carrots, kidney beans, white beans, garbanzo beans, italian green beans, red peppers.

I loved them so much, I have to show you a picture:

https://www.kroger.com/product/images/xlarge/front/0001111089783
I too use the frozen fahita/4 pepper/fiesta veggie mix. I am finicky about using my vegetables. So I like to keep frozen ones around.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

frugalmom wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:38 pm I have been freezing some of my vegetables that I had an excess of and hope they will freeze well. I do want to freeze slices of zucchini-do you think they will freeze well?
I bought zucchini slices already frozen a while back. Once defrosted, they seemed to get a bit more mushy. I ended up frying them with onions or as a filler with scrambled eggs.