Daily check-in April 3rd 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily check-in April 3rd 2020

Post by mbrudnic »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:40 pm Maggie,

Do your masks have a wire nose piece in them? If yes, I was wondering how they held up in the washer?
I washed the first one once. I am using a 16 gauge wire, so it is pretty sturdy.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

mbrudnic wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:45 am I washed the first one once. I am using a 16 gauge wire, so it is pretty sturdy.
Hey Gayle, yes the wire broke. Ugh
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I have wondered if anyone who is handy with tin snips and pliers could cut a strip from a soft drink can and turn it so there are no sharp edges? Maybe flare the ends so it could be hand stitched in place?

I may get out my tools and leather gardening gloves and experiment carefully with this.
Mackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 pm I have wondered if anyone who is handy with tin snips and pliers could cut a strip from a soft drink can and turn it so there are no sharp edges? Maybe flare the ends so it could be hand stitched in place?

I may get out my tools and leather gardening gloves and experiment carefully with this.
One of the tutorials said to cut up an aluminum pan.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

gaylejackson2 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:00 am Creative,

I chose mastectomy A) because of my MRI results that showed a “non-mass enhancement” (another term to google) in the same breast as my tumor that was 3-4cm—if I’d done only a lumpectomy, then I’d end up with basically a flattened breast, B) because of my genetic tests results: I discovered that I have the BRCA1, with the exact same gene mutation as my sister and a paternal cousin-which has an increased 50-65% chance of developing Another type of Breast Cancer as well as an 85+% chance of developing ovarian cancer before age 50, and C) because my breast cancer Type is Triple Negative (not estrogen, progesterone or human epithelial growth hormone related) which is very aggressive, grows rapidly and also has a Very High chance of returning within 1-3 years, which if it returns it often metastasizes —having the bilateral mastectomy drastically reduces my chances of TNBC returning. The bilateral mastectomy essentially eliminated my cancer as far as we knew, but I did the chemo as a kind of failsafe procedure to further reduce my chances of having my cancer return, and also just in case any stray cancer cells were lurking about—I Really need to increase my chances to raise my children. 😉

Because I chose mastectomy as my surgery and my tumor was Stage 1, I did not have to have radiation—for which I am eternally grateful, as I had seen what so many other women have to endure because of their Breast Cancers. I do hope you do not have to experience it either.
Thanks so much for this very valuable information Gayle. I am going to read through your entire breast cancer thread and then may pm you with any questions I may have. Surprisingly I do not carry the gene which increases chance of breast cancer. I had a hysterectomy at age 50 because some grey cells were found in the uterus. At that time I was still having my periods regularly and was classified as premenopausal. I had noticed a thickening of vaginal discharge (odourless). All previous PAP tests had come out negative. I was diagnosed with hyperplasia with atypia. I did decide to retain my ovaries. I have never had any menopausal symptoms - no night sweats, mood swings and have never used any hormonal treatments.
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

mbrudnic wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:06 pm Hey Gayle, yes the wire broke. Ugh
Oh no! ☹️