Daily Check in May 5, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in May 5, 2020

Post by clemencia2us »

We surprised ourselves and did an extra mile

I had been thinking about doing that and was going to go earlier and do it, but I'm glad walking partner suggested it. She has bad knees so I go at her pace.

It wore me out!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:12 am We surprised ourselves and did an extra mile

I had been thinking about doing that and was going to go earlier and do it, but I'm glad walking partner suggested it. She has bad knees so I go at her pace.

It wore me out!
Impressive!
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Unread post by clemencia2us » Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 am

MackerelCat wrote: ↑Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 am
Good morning, frugal friends. I did a lot of small, annoying chores yesterday and wore myself out. Was asleep by 11 p.m., which is way early for a professional insomniac, woke up at 4:30 for a trip to the bathroom, and slept right through until 8 a.m.

I am doing more zero dollar decorating and yesterday retrieved my antique trunk from DS's room. We had let him use it when he did not have a bookshelf, which he does now, so I put it in the living room, wiped it down, relined the inside with some Contac paper from my stash, and now there's storage so everyone's laptops aren't left on the floor. The trunk is antique but not valuable (it was just luggage in its day) so I repainted it some years ago.

The living room also needs a lighter colored summer valance for the window, so I dug in my tub of fabric and found two throw pillow covers to take apart, some plain muslin for backing, and some coordinating taupe fabric to make tabs from. So that project is on the sewing table.

This morning I have to take my little single mom friend and her children grocery shopping. Her car is acting up and she is scared to drive it and has no money to fix it, so there we are. If that doesn't wear me out, I have laundry to do this afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great day at home.
I like that "professional insomniac"! I should just give in to it. Go with the flow

I also brought home an antique trunk. Think it belonged to my grandmother. My mom always had it in her bedroom. No one else wanted it. I couldn't believe it.

I'm using it to store extra blankets and winter stuff.

I am so glad you were able to get your Mom's trunk. I know I wanted 2 chairs my mom had, my sister insisted that her husband said they were only good for Kindling. I paid her to have them shipped to me. Yes, it was expensive but important to me. I had them fixed.

I am sure that neither of my children want them. That is fine with me. They have memories for me.

Penny
AuntBridget

Post by AuntBridget »

Good Afternoon.

I just typed up a big post and didn't realize that I had walked away without posting it and it disappeared.
So here we go again !

Greetings from a cold and rainy Iowa.

Since this is the weather we have been given today, I will not be leaving the house. This of course will help with my no spending challenge.

So far today, I have taken the rest of the beef roast and juices that I had in the fridge, and cooked it with some onion, carrots, celery, garlic and barley. I will serve it as a side dish tomorrow night for dinner, and then what is left of that I will add some more broth to and have it as a soup the next day for lunch.

Right now I have a pan of beans simmering on the stove. I will more them to the oven later. I am trying my hand at making baked beans like my mom's. I have on recipe to go by, so I just keep trying.

Tonight's dinner in honor of Cinco De Mayo, we will be having nachos. I will take refried beans, taco meat and some cheese and layer it in a pie plate. Then put it in the oven until the cheese melts. Then I will take it out of the oven and put lettuce, tomatoes, onions and more cheese on top. I will serve it with warmed up tortilla chips.

While the oven is warm I hope to get a batch of cookies baked off to put in the freezer for when it is too hot to bake.

Well...off to read some more of the forum, and get back to my to do list.

Have a Terrific Tuesday !
Aunt Bridget
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,
I have spent most of my day, organizing/reorganizing pantry and stockpile....Making lists and cleaning up messes.
It is way too cold and wet outside for me to do anything out there so inside work today.
Weather like this just makes me feel so tired, I cooked up 6 sausage/pork burgers from a 1# packaged roll. Had 1 for lunch and have the rest separately packed, for sausage egg and cheese biscuit brunch sandwiches.I also boiled a dozen eggs, for salads and just snacking on.

Not much else going on.
JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

It took over 4 hours for Little Single Mom to get her month's worth of shopping done today. We filled up the back of my Honda Fit twice. Her little ones were so good the whole time.

I am seriously impressed with Save a Lot (we were at two different stores today) and how seriously it is taking sanitation and protection. All the staff had on masks and gloves, the checkouts have plexiglass shields and the floors are marked every six feet. We all wore masks (I adjusted a homemade one with safety pins to fit the 4 year old) and the baby had a wrap around his carrier that his mom crafted. And we had alcohol wipes and hand sanitizer in the car.

I made homemade pizza for supper and used up two partial balls of Sugar and Cream cotton yarn crocheting three coasters while the fridge repair guy was here fixing the ice maker. The problem turned out to be a grain of sand in the ice maker valve, probably a result of a recent broken water pipe near the neighborhood.

Did not get to work on the valance for the living room today. That will be a project for tomorrow.
Mackie