Is the Coronavirus affecting you

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Is the Coronavirus affecting you

Post by clemencia2us »

Sandy wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:29 pm
The first thing I did when my stimulus money arrived was to take all of it out in cash. I have plenty in my debit account to buy food and "incidentals". What I have a fear of is finding out that, totally in the snap of your fingers, all ATM machines have stopped being usable.
Good idea. I should do that!

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:58 pm
Sandy, my thoughts exactly. I didn't do it with my stimulus money, but I have been taking bits of cash for the past year and hiding it somewhere. You will think I'm paranoid for sure, but I put it in a glass jar and buried it. I live on an acre and I told my daughter where it was, but if anyone was going to rob me they would attract some attention digging up my entire yard. Neighbors might be over asking some questions. Janet pointed out to me that with all the visitors we have on the site that never participate, that there might be a bad apple out there somewhere.

I just like to be prepared and this virus caught me unprepared and I want let that happen again, it has put a scare into me that I want ever forget.
I don't think you're paranoid 'cause I did the same thing, lol. I live on 80 acres and on that 80 acres is a very unique tree. My son and the ex both also know where it is. Anyone...AT ALL...prowling around on this property are trespassing and the Sheriff WILL be called immediately.

If I allow myself to think too far beyond what it's going to take to keep this household floating I know I'll get depressed and I won't let that happen. I have too much to do to let myself go there (was there years ago and won't go back).

We are blessed in so many ways. Our home is paid for, our vehicles are all paid for, we have more than enough food on our table(s), the hubby and the son both work in essential jobs and so have regular salaries to depend on as well as money in the bank (which brings me to the reason I worry about not having some substantial cash on hand: a run on the banks meaning they would all lock down).

I sure miss my parents and grandparents right now. Having gone through the Great Depression, there are SO many excellent pieces of advice they could give that I haven't even thought of!

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Quilter51 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:56 pm
I seem to be able to spend online just as easily as in real stores.
So can I and do the lion's share of shopping that way. However, just in case...

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

clemencia2us wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm
Good idea. I should do that!
It's comforting to know it's there if needed.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

I didn't with my stimulus money, but I do with my rent money...I have always tried to keep a stash. Our family always has.

I worry about the ATM's and bank runs also but comfort myself that IF I am in that position but then so is everyone else. Which brings another set of dark thoughts...

I hear my grandparents and parents voices in my mind talking about the Depression.

Things seem so surreal,

JCKitty

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I cashed out 1/2 of mine as well Sandy. We have tried over the last couple of years to keep about a thousand dollars cash in the house. That ice storm years back frightened me- no ATMs, no gas pumps -no banks with power - so that was when we started. I decided to double it for now. It is well hidden and the location is in a letter to my niece just in case.

Do I think banks will fail - probably not. But I am going to hedge against it. The White House is so clueless and understaffed that I have no idea what could happen - so I am trying to prepare for as many possibilities as possible.

I am sure I sound like some whack job prepper, but I swear I am not. We are just average people who dislike uncertainty and deprivation and are trying to avoid it. I don't want to survive a nuclear attack or a zombie apocalypse, but I would like to make it through an economic downturn or a pandemic.